Marlin 336 or go with a new Marlin 1895?

I own 2 of the new Ruger made Marlins and both are better quality fit and finish/wood than the old JM's. JM's may have more collector value, but for a shooter....and one Im going to hunt with and keep.......Ill take the Ruger made anyday. Prices are downward on these and all levers now as well. People try and get 1K for them, but NFW is that market holding.

I paid $650 for my newest barely used Ruger made 1894 in 44 mag in perfect condition..........
Is Ruger doing cast Receivers on the lever guns? They investment cast everything else it seems.

Edit: found my own answer, forged recievers.

Last edited:
Look at the nice 336 in .35 Remington for sane money in the classifieds….
Only problem with that one is its .35 Remington, not impossible to get but not getting easier, I feed 4 of them and if I didn't reload they would starve. Even the 200 grain round nose heads are hard to find at times.

About three years ago I was browsing around Cabela's while the wife was at grocery store. I came across a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington in the gun library. I asked to take a look and saw it was is great shape except butt plate cracked. Then I saw the asking price $295. I asked the sales clerk he said on consignment thats the right price! I grabbed it also had 2x7 Leopold scope on it. When I got home I checked serial it was built 1951. thats before microgroove barreling it has Ballard rifleng. It shoots awesome and is one of my Maine rifles. I also played lottery that day but no luck!! Lol

About three years ago I was browsing around Cabela's while the wife was at grocery store. I came across a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington in the gun library. I asked to take a look and saw it was is great shape except butt plate cracked. Then I saw the asking price $295. I asked the sales clerk he said on consignment thats the right price! I grabbed it also had 2x7 Leopold scope on it. When I got home I checked serial it was built 1951. thats before microgroove barreling it has Ballard rifleng. It shoots awesome and is one of my Maine rifles. I also played lottery that day but no luck!! Lol
The only reason I go to Cabelas is ive bought nice old rifles on deals like this. And missed a few more being a cheap bastard and left it and it was gone the next day.

Ill admit its rarer now to find a deal there now. And the buying process will make you feel like getting nut kicked instead.

I got a Winchester 1890 pump there for about $350.00. I don't know if it was mismarked or if no one wanted it because it was in 22 short. I wasn't looking for one but couldn't pass it up.

Back
Top Bottom