MARINES will be issued NEW COLT 1911 Pistols in 2013 !!

Never understood why they can't get up with the the times and go Glock

MARSOC has a bunch of G19s they bought with purple (joint) money.

In one of the last Marine Special Operations School classes that was conducted, there was talk of half the class shooting Glocks and the other half shooting 1911s.

They'll probably have the option of picking which pistol to take on deployment.

Last edited:
The newest Colt I own is a series 80. I never bothered to mess with anything made after that series when it comes to a Colt 1911. Besides being hard to find in MA, I've heard plenty of reviews of newer production Colt 1911's with a myriad of problems. Out of spec frame or slide rails, improperly fit lugs, off center recoil spring plug area etc...

I think Colt's QC went way downhill for a while but hopefully they remedied these issues.

Last edited:
The newest Colt I own is a series 80. I never bothered to mess with anything made after that series when it comes to a Colt 1911. Besides being hard to find in MA, I've heard plenty of reviews of newer production Colt 1911's with a myriad of problems. Out of spec frame or slide rails, improperly fit lugs, off center recoil spring plug area etc...

I think Colt's QC went way downhill for a while but hopefully they remedied these issues.

For $2000 a pop these new 1911's had better be sweet !!

10k pistols is not alot of guns. Some high ranking officer probably decided he wanted a few and a few for his buddlies

I thought I'd be alone in slamming the 1911, but apparently not. I like 1911's ANSI own three, but I almost never carry one. The .45 ACP is a great cartridge and there are better platforms out there today in which to fire it from. On days I decide to go with one of my .45's it's not a 1991, but a USP or XDs.

No doubt there are reliable 1911's, but can you fanboys really say it's the absolute best choice for the military?

Normally I don't make remarks about sexuality and the U S Armed Forces,

But it seems to me right about the time that the U S Military became an all welcoming, affirming fighting force, complete with gender reassignment surgery for active duty soldiers, was the time that the venerable 1911, the holiest of pistols, was doomed to the scrap heap of military history.

Normally I don't make remarks about sexuality and the U S Armed Forces,

But it seems to me right about the time that the U S Military became an all welcoming, affirming fighting force, complete with gender reassignment surgery for active duty soldiers, was the time that the venerable 1911, the holiest of pistols, was doomed to the scrap heap of military history.
Yeah that, or the fact that a 112 year old design was due for replacement.

Ok I'll give you the magazine capacity is ehhh in these days of 19 round magazines, but the design of the 1911 is a timeless classic

Ok I'll give you the magazine capacity is ehhh in these days of 19 round magazines, but the design of the 1911 is a timeless classic
And if poorly executed you end up with something that's worse than the average taurus $300 special. 1911s are not well suited for modern production practices.

This seems like one of those things I’d be hot and bothered about despite the fact I’d personally rather carry a reliable, high cap 9 into battle than a low cap .46

And a timeless classic belongs on a wall, or sitting on the sunday morning gun range bench with all the other Elmers standing around talking about how much better things were under Reagan, not handicapping Marines on the 2023 battlefield.

Last edited:
There should be two service pistols in the US military. Something that works, and works damn well for those that need to use it to do the Lord's work.

For the other 99% of the military, we should adopt a European mindset and issue a tiny .32 that no one will mind carrying and won't leave on the shitter door. .32 is fine considering it's just a badge to say "my job doesn't entail me carrying a rifle".

Back
Top Bottom