Marine recounts role in capture of Wal-Mart suspect

This story is a great example of what we all "think" is a great ethical thing to do, but that is actually a legal nightmare in MA. All the "great" feelings of saving a stranger will go away with the $25K-50K legal bills to defend yourself. I hope that everyone doesn't lose the real message found here, that this is NOT something you should do in MA.

Okay, I've learned a lot in my recent education by GOAL's training (CCW in MA), reading the MGLs, training at LFI-Mas Ayoob, and just recently, a class by PSI-John Peterson.
It is my understanding that MA laws do require you to escape/disengage or stop pursuit (if outside your home) once the threat is gone. Drawing your firearm is limited to "an immedieate and otherwise unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm to yourself or to the innocent."

Note that I am careful say, my understanding, since this forum has some that tend to "state fact" when actually it is only an opinion or personal feeling. Again, I leave it to our smart attorney friends to pull out the MGL quotes to show facts. I am becoming very aware that it is the spreading of mis-information that can really cause harm to the MA gun owner.

I am not saying that we should all just turn our backs on innocent people getting hurt, by no means. I am just saying that every gun owner in MA should fully know the absolute legal side to their actions. If you are carrying a firearm, you have a HUGE responsibility. One attorney made a great statement, "If you draw your weapon to protect someone else, it better be someone you would be willing to spend time in jail for and willing to spend $25K+ to prove your innocence." I recommend that every gun owner get trained to know when and where you can draw your firearm and the exact legal issues. You need to know all the MA complicated laws BEFORE you get into that situation, because you are not going to be able to consider all the legal issues, in the 1-3 seconds, when your adrenaline is pumping, and your heart rate is 200 and you are a simple trigger pull from ending another human being's life. BG or not, no one should take a life without some serious thought first.

And, even if your own morals and ethics are solid, you cannot just ignore the MA laws and the reality they bring to the gun owner and more importantly the LTC-A holder. And will I just hope to get the right LEO to show up first?? Not me, that is one big gamble for something this important. And for gun owners outside of People's Republic of MA, I would still recommend you look into the fine details of your state laws so that you are clear.

BTW- for the record, (for those who think I am FOS) if a BG was in my home with a weapon and going after my children, I would have zero hesitation of using my training (both pistolcraft and legal) to put 15 rds into the center of mass. (and then reload!)

Back
Top Bottom