Man who filmed plainclothes cop pulling gun on him now threatened with prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the original thread and I still don't see why the office thought it neccessary to draw his firearm. Was he using it as a tool of compliance? Did the officer feel he had authorization to use deadly force? IMHO a badge in his hand would have been just as effective as the firearm.

Anyways, to stay on topic, the charge at hand seems a bit rediculous. Do LEOs have an exemption from the law when they use dash cams themselves?

yes, but how many of us have broken the speed limit? you wouldn't expect someone to cut you off and pull a gun on you.

He was far exceeding the speed limit and driving recklessly, enough so to be considered a danger to the public. And furthermore, this has been discussed here before. Not about the rider being threatened with jail, but that the LEO was justified in drawing his weapon.

And if you feel going 100+MPH while also hanging wheelies on a public highway isn't liable to get a gun drawn on you by a LEO, than you should probably go try it and see what happens.

I will agree that he shouldn't have any repercussion for the filming of the incident, as I see no wrong in doing so. Posting it on the net may be questionable, but I am not fully aware of the laws in the state in which this occurred, so that is a matter for someone more knowledgeable than I am in the laws.

yes, but how many of us have broken the speed limit? you wouldn't expect someone to cut you off and pull a gun on you.

Agreed, it didn't even look like the officer was around him until right at the very end, I doubt he even saw the guy doing 100+ or wheelies, it was probably somebody calling it in on a cell phone and he responded to the call.

Are you serious? That is a stupid thing to say.

Makes sense to me the guy didn't immediately identify himself as a cop, the guy could have reacted as if it was a road rage incident and drawn down on him and made the situation even worse.

Apparently it's now ok for LEO's to draw on snowball fights and people getting speeding infractions, they can use Tasers on young children and old women, shoot people in their own homes when the resident is holding an ACTUAL criminal, detain people that have not committed a crime for over a month because they are "dangerous", confiscate weapons that are not illegal, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I am NOT saying all LEO's are evil and should be hated. I am saying there have been a lot of cases in the media in the past couple months of extreme overstepping of authority it seems.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that noticed the marked cruiser behind the motorcycle?! He knew he was dealing with the police. I can only assume the plainclothes officer (1)got involved (2) acted the way he did (3) stopped his vehicle IN FRONT of the motorcycle in the LEFT LANE because the motorcycle was failing to stop for the cruiser. Routine traffic stops just don't go this way

Am I the only one that noticed the marked cruiser behind the motorcycle?! He knew he was dealing with the police. I can only assume the plainclothes officer (1)got involved (2) acted the way he did (3) stopped his vehicle IN FRONT of the motorcycle in the LEFT LANE because the motorcycle was failing to stop for the cruiser. Routine traffic stops just don't go this way

Dunno, Sarge. I didn't see any lights when he looked behind him before he stopped. All of a sudden, wham, there's a Ford POS slamming to a halt on his right side with a guy pulling out a pistol and saying, "State police, get off the bike. Let me see your hands", etc.

I saw the original thread and I still don't see why the office thought it neccessary to draw his firearm. Was he using it as a tool of compliance? Did the officer feel he had authorization to use deadly force? IMHO a badge in his hand would have been just as effective as the firearm.
?

So at what point is a cop justified to draw his weapon on someone after they have endangered the lives of others and unless they are stopped are still capable of doing so? When is a cop justified in protecting himself against someone with a deadly weapon?

After you have shown blatant disregard for the law and a willingness to endanger the lives of everyone on the road, I feel you have become enough of a threat to be subdued by whatever means necessary to ensure public safety and the safety of the LEO. As long as nobody is hurt or assaulted without due provocation, than I see no issue in using a firearm to difuse a possibly dangerous situation.

I will agree that he shouldn't have any repercussion for the filming of the incident, as I see no wrong in doing so. Posting it on the net may be questionable, but I am not fully aware of the laws in the state in which this occurred, so that is a matter for someone more knowledgeable than I am in the laws.

As the article states, Maryland is two party consent for audio recording. Same thing could happen in Mass. If you are recording audio of another person without them knowing, you are committing a felony.

There is a simple solution to avoid being in this situation: Don't speed, do wheelie's, or drive recklessly! Obey the police officer! Seems simple to me.

As the article states, Maryland is two party consent for audio recording. Same thing could happen in Mass. If you are recording audio of another person without them knowing, you are committing a felony.

Like I said, that decision is best left to someone other than myself. My opinion may differ, but it doesn't change the law or make what he did legal. He needs to deal with the situation he put himself into. Nobody made him do it, so whatever happens to him is nobody's fault but his own.

So at what point is a cop justified to draw his weapon on someone after they have endangered the lives of others and unless they are stopped are still capable of doing so? When is a cop justified in protecting himself against someone with a deadly weapon?

After you have shown blatant disregard for the law and a willingness to endanger the lives of everyone on the road, I feel you have become enough of a threat to be subdued by whatever means necessary to ensure public safety and the safety of the LEO. As long as nobody is hurt or assaulted without due provocation, than I see no issue in using a firearm to difuse a possibly dangerous situation.

Using your logic when a LEO makes a traffic stop they should ALWAYS draw down on the person in the car and write a ticket only after hollaring at them and waiving their gun around. I have been pulled over something like 4 or 5 times since I got my license, a couple were speeding, 1 was improper passing on the right and another was to quote the officer "blowing through a blinking red light" I was never pulled over at gun point and yelled at by the officer.

Any situation an officer pulls someone over is possibly dangerous, they could knock on your door to ask you if there has been a stray dog in the area and if you're a criminal you could freak out and open fire on them. A Police Officer is responsible for judging the danger of each situation and responding appropriately, this guy didn't try to evade the police, he wasn't running from them, he wasn't threatening the cop or pulling a weapon, he wasn't dragged off in cuffs because he had warrants. There was nothing to suggest this event was dangerous to the LEO's or two any bystanders.

Maybe the next time you have a run in with a LEO they should draw on you and you can decide if it's a good feeling or not.

Sounds like you'll be an excellent subject should the police state ever come [grin]

There is a simple solution to avoid being in this situation: Don't speed, do wheelie's, or drive recklessly! Obey the police officer! Seems simple to me.

I'm glad your rights to not being shot by the police are null and void when you break a few laws that are more about revenue than they are about safety...

Using your logic when a LEO makes a traffic stop they should ALWAYS draw down on the person in the car and write a ticket only after hollaring at them and waiving their gun around. I have been pulled over something like 4 or 5 times since I got my license, a couple were speeding, 1 was improper passing on the right and another was to quote the officer "blowing through a blinking red light" I was never pulled over at gun point and yelled at by the officer.

Any situation an officer pulls someone over is possibly dangerous, they could knock on your door to ask you if there has been a stray dog in the area and if you're a criminal you could freak out and open fire on them. A Police Officer is responsible for judging the danger of each situation and responding appropriately, this guy didn't try to evade the police, he wasn't running from them, he wasn't threatening the cop or pulling a weapon, he wasn't dragged off in cuffs because he had warrants. There was nothing to suggest this event was dangerous to the LEO's or two any bystanders.

Maybe the next time you have a run in with a LEO they should draw on you and you can decide if it's a good feeling or not.

How is a simple traffic violation in any way similar to anything I stated or what happened in the video? Have you watched the video? The guy was going OVER 120MPH! Also doing wheelie's. That is NOT a simple violation! I HAVE had a gun in my face for a traffic stop. YES I deserved it, just as much as this ass hat did.

"After you have shown blatant disregard for the law and a willingness to endanger the lives of everyone on the road, I feel you have become enough of a threat to be subdued by whatever means necessary to ensure public safety and the safety of the LEO."
How does my above statement describe in ANY WAY a routine traffic stop? It describes a severe violation of traffic laws and a disregard of others lives and safety, not what constitutes a routine traffic stop.

I'm glad your rights to not being shot by the police are null and void when you break a few laws that are more about revenue than they are about safety...

And who was shot? I guess I missed that part of the video. And if you feel the rider wasn't endangering anyone you need to get a clue.

How is a simple traffic violation in any way similar to anything I stated or what happened in the video? Have you watched the video? The guy was going OVER 120MPH! Also doing wheelie's. That is NOT a simple violation! I HAVE had a gun in my face for a traffic stop. YES I deserved it, just as much as this ass hat did.

"After you have shown blatant disregard for the law and a willingness to endanger the lives of everyone on the road, I feel you have become enough of a threat to be subdued by whatever means necessary to ensure public safety and the safety of the LEO."
How does my above statement describe in ANY WAY a routine traffic stop? It describes a severe violation of traffic laws and a disregard of others lives and safety, not what constitutes a routine traffic stop.

Deserved it? Firearms aren't punishment. They're a tool to used to protect the public, and officers. If there has been no threat, and there is no danger completing the arrest, there should be no drawn firearm.

And who was shot? I guess I missed that part of the video. And if you feel the rider wasn't endangering anyone you need to get a clue.

Who was he endangering? He was sitting in traffic.

Because nearly any traffic stop shows blatant disregard for the law, when you run a red light, speed, roll through a stop sign these are all blatant disregard for the law, you know better and shouldn't do it but you do anyway. Also, these are all a willingness to endanger the lives of others, I've had many times where I was walking OR driving and somebody nearly ran me over or into my car because they blew a stop light or stop sign.

My point was going 100mph in a 65/70/75 mph zone and doing a wheelie while it may be stupid does not constitute being stopped at gun point in my opinion, a traffic violation is just that, a traffic violation.

It is already a known fact that LEOs are not the most gun-savvy group around, a shot in the chest is only a slip of the finger away...

I've had a gun drawn on me during a traffic stop too, it was because I had a folded up leatherman sitting underneath my e-brake. I feel I DIDN'T deserve that, but by your reasoning I aparently did.

Judging by the crusier behind the plain clothes officer's car, and the fact that the bike weaved and took a quick exit, this very likely could have been a pursuit. Considering that the jackass was going 100+ miles an hour and endangered the lives of everyone around him, and also tried to leave the scene (before a gun was drawn) when he was cornered by an unmarked officer who was backed up by a clearly marked cruiser, a case can be made for the officer drawing his weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom