Man who filmed plainclothes cop pulling gun on him now threatened with prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I missed something too...when I watched the video I did not see the bike raise or the guy do any wheelies, but maybe I'm missing something. Bottom-line: should the guy have gotten a ticket? Sure! Should the LEO have drawn on him? No, this video does not show evidence that drawing on him was justified.

Does anyone actually want to talk about the "illegal wiretapping" business mentioned in the OP's link, or do we want to rehash the other thread all over again? if we're gonna do that, might as well just shut it down now. Nobody here is going to change each others minds regarding the LEO pulling a gun on this guy.... but what about the so called "illegal wiretap" issue?

My bet is those charges will probably be tossed, but who knows. Weirder things have happened.

-Mike

A pointed firearm is a deadly threat unlike any other, and should be reserved for the most serious of exigent circumstances. Even the police involved here know this, which is probably why this retaliatory charge for making them look silly.

I don't think it will necessarily get tossed; some states bend over backwards to make it easy for the police to make sure those silly subjects ("criminals!" all the other subjects yell to make themselves feel safe) don't get uppity.

Does anyone actually want to talk about the "illegal wiretapping" business mentioned in the OP's link, or do we want to rehash the other thread all over again? if we're gonna do that, might as well just shut it down now. Nobody here is going to change each others minds regarding the LEO pulling a gun on this guy.... but what about the so called "illegal wiretap" issue?

My bet is those charges will probably be tossed, but who knows. Weirder things have happened.

-Mike

Illegal wiretap seems like a bogus revenge charge to me and doesn't seem like it would stick as there shouldn't have been an expectation of privacy on the side of the road!

Illegal wiretap seems like a bogus revenge charge to me and doesn't seem like it would stick as there shouldn't have been an expectation of privacy on the side of the road!

Agreed, it seems like a bully tactic to me. They're mad at the criticism the video is receiving.

I also say that Mike or another mod go back and delete all of the OT posts, we've obviously already been down that road before.

It is already a known fact that LEOs are not the most gun-savvy group around, a shot in the chest is only a slip of the finger away...

I've had a gun drawn on me during a traffic stop too, it was because I had a folded up leatherman sitting underneath my e-brake. I feel I DIDN'T deserve that, but by your reasoning I aparently did.

A leatherman is not nearly the same as what the rider did. The LEO was at fault in your instance. But until the rider is OFF the bike, people are still in danger, as he could have easily ran the cop over.

And YES the rider had endangered people, and there was no way for the cop to know he wasn't going to try to evade or run him over. He wasn't simply sitting in traffic, he had pulled off the highway after breaking many laws, and the cop probably felt he may try to evade. The rider was in NO WAY innocent, and he was still a danger to the cop and everyone around him. He had a weapon (his bike) and until he is off of it, still has the ability to do harm with it.

And NO, not all traffic stops show blatant disregard for the law. And many of the instances are in no way as severe a threat as what this rider did. Often a failure to stop for a red light or any similar occurrence can be viewed as an accident, and certainly may have been, where as doing a wheelie at 130 is by no means an accident.

I have accidentally ran a red, and also a few other violations that were truly an accident. I have never done 130mph by accident. That is where the issue with this situation lies. That is also the difference between blatant disregard and an accident. Knowingly and purposely endangering lives and being a threat with a deadly weapon is far different than running a red light on accident. Some may run a red on purpose, but it's impossible to prove it was intentional. It would be impossible to prove this rider's actions were an accident and he didn't realize he was doing double the speed limit on his back tire.

A leatherman is not nearly the same as what the rider did. The LEO was at fault in your instance. But until the rider is OFF the bike, people are still in danger, as he could have easily ran the cop over.

And YES the rider had endangered people, and there was no way for the cop to know he wasn't going to try to evade or run him over. He wasn't simply sitting in traffic, he had pulled off the highway after breaking many laws, and the cop probably felt he may try to evade. The rider was in NO WAY innocent, and he was still a danger to the cop and everyone around him. He had a weapon (his bike) and until he is off of it, still has the ability to do harm with it.

And NO, not all traffic stops show blatant disregard for the law. And many of the instances are in no way as severe a threat as what this rider did. Often a failure to stop for a red light or any similar occurrence can be viewed as an accident, and certainly may have been, where as doing a wheelie at 130 is by no means an accident.

I have accidentally ran a red, and also a few other violations that were truly an accident. I have never done 130mph by accident. That is where the issue with this situation lies. That is also the difference between blatant disregard and an accident. Knowingly and purposely endangering lives and being a threat with a deadly weapon is far different than running a red light on accident. Some may run a red on purpose, but it's impossible to prove it was intentional. It would be impossible to prove this rider's actions were an accident and he didn't realize he was doing double the speed limit on his back tire.

so, am I endangering people when I do 66mph versus 65? You are using an artificial and incorrect construct of speed limits as "safety" to base your argument in. It doesn't work that way.....

I already stated my opinion on the bogus charge of recording the event. I feel it's a stupid charge to try and punish the guy for releasing a controversial video. But as has been pointed out the act of recording people without consent is illegal in the state this occurred in. Will it be dropped? I don't know and have no honest idea what will happen. I am sure he is in enough hot water for all his other violations and maybe the PD is just sticking it to him. After all the crap he was probably charged with, I feel he should get a break on this.

I already stated my opinion on the bogus charge of recording the event. I feel it's a stupid charge to try and punish the guy for releasing a controversial video. But as has been pointed out the act of recording people without consent is illegal in the state this occurred in. Will it be dropped? I don't know and have no honest idea what will happen. I am sure he is in enough hot water for all his other violations and maybe the PD is just sticking it to him. After all the crap he was probably charged with, I feel he should get a break on this.

Graber was cited on location for traveling more than 100 mph on his bike. He was also accused of popping wheelies. And Graber apparently paid the fines because the case was then closed.

He had already settled everything else when a month later the LEO's came knocking on his door for posting the video online.

...I am sure he is in enough hot water for all his other violations...After all the crap he was probably charged with...

From the link in the OP...
Graber was cited on location for traveling more than 100 mph on his bike. He was also accused of popping wheelies. And Graber apparently paid the fines because the case was then closed.

ETA: D'oh, NHAtHeart beat me to it

Exactly. Despite what you think of the biker's actions, this charge is a steaming pile.

so, am I endangering people when I do 66mph versus 65? You are using an artificial and incorrect construct of speed limits as "safety" to base your argument in. It doesn't work that way.....

You are basing your retaliation to my comment on complete BS and it is in no way relevant to the topic at hand. 130mph on one wheel is totally different than what you suggest I have based my statement on. Your post makes little to no sense, and is completely irrelevant. I have not based my argument on speed limits, but more on the way one is to conduct himself on the road and the severity of the unsafe acts one is to perform while driving. 1mph is by no means comparable to 70mph over the limit on one wheel on a busy highway in traffic.

It is already a known fact that LEOs are not the most gun-savvy group around, a shot in the chest is only a slip of the finger away...

I've had a gun drawn on me during a traffic stop too, it was because I had a folded up leatherman sitting underneath my e-brake. I feel I DIDN'T deserve that, but by your reasoning I aparently did.

At this point, as a slightly older man, I would have been compelled to inform the officer to grow up.

He had already settled everything else when a month later the LEO's came knocking on his door for posting the video online.

Exactly my point, just sticking it to him. They must feel he got off too easy, or maybe they were embarrassed and want revenge. Either way I feel it's a bogus charge. The guy already got punished for the incident, now they have to hunt him down and make his life suck even more.

You are basing your retaliation to my comment on complete BS and it is in no way relevant to the topic at hand. 130mph on one wheel is totally different than what you suggest I have based my statement on. Your post makes little to no sense, and is completely irrelevant. I have not based my argument on speed limits, but more on the way one is to conduct himself on the road and the severity of the unsafe acts one is to perform while driving. 1mph is by no means comparable to 70mph over the limit on one wheel on a busy highway in traffic.

so basically, we can add you to the list of cop apologists. Cozy up with the other few, you guys will eventually have to band together to be taken seriously.

This is pissing me and a whole bunch of folks off, where do cops get the f'ing right to elevate themselves above and beyond the everyday person, if the cop does stupid pet trick, charge him and put his but in jail. Where's the common sense to get plate number and call it in with a marked car to pull him over?? Lucky the guy on the bike didn't run his butt over!

If the biker wasn't being a dickhead and driving like an a-hole this event would have never happened. [hmmm]

I consider it my personal responsibility not to be an a$$h0le and create situations like this to begin with.

Meep.

[rolleyes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom