Man killed while trying to rob an AA meeting

Hope the robber did something worth getting killed for. Didn't say if he had a gun or not.

He had a weapon:

Columbia Police say a man in his late teens walked into the meeting at 2015 College Street, the Acoa Club, at 11 p.m. Saturday night with a gun.

They say he demanded two people empty their pockets. That's when police say a person with a concealed weapons permit shot the man in his chest.

Wait...soo a person who was going to AA was allowed to have a gun permit?
I mean that guy probably did the right thing but anyone see anything wrong with him having a gun permit if he's going to AA, or is it just me? LOL

Last edited:
I mean that guy probably did the right thing but anyone see anything wrong with him having a gun permit if he's going to AA, or is it just me? LOL

Rob has a good point. Additionally, one of the questions on the MA LTC/FID application asks if you have ever been treated for chronic alcoholism (or some similar wording). AA is not treatment. Treatment happens in a professional setting and is provided by professionals. AA has no such professionals "in carge."

I don't see the humor in your statement

Also, some people go to AA because of problems with family members or those that are close to them.

That is more the domain of Al-Anon, outside of a chapter in one of the AA books, the family/friend thing isn't dealt with, but they are always welcome to attend to support their family members/friends sobriety

Last edited:
This was NJ, which means that the permit holder was either a retired cop; a person of privilege, power and influence; or someone with a very specific job related need. My guess is that it's one of the former.

He might not have been forced to go either. It could be he realized he drinks to much or something and decided on his own that AA might be something to help him stop. Good for him stepping up and doing the right thing!!

He might not have been forced to go either.

About 85% of the people in AA are not forced to be there, they are there because they realize they have a problem and are trying to do something about it. About 13% are there because the courts say they have to go, and about 2% of the people there are there for support with family and other issues. The beauty of AA and the 12 steps is that the steps can be used in all aspects of life, not just a drinking problem or drug problem. There are no memberships and everyone is welcome.

This was NJ, which means that the permit holder was either a retired cop; a person of privilege, power and influence; or someone with a very specific job related need. My guess is that it's one of the former.

Wrong

Person who was shot was from NJ, this happened in South Carolina

A New Jersey man has been shot and killed at an Alcoholics Anonymous center in South Carolina in what police say was a thwarted robbery.

The BG was from NJ the meeting was in South Carolina

A New Jersey man has been shot and killed at an Alcoholics Anonymous center in South Carolina in what police say was a thwarted robbery.

The BG was probably used to the NJ laws where no one will fight back. [wink]

EDIT -Glock beat me to it.

Last edited:
Well acording to the Clinton Rules of Gun Law, this must have been one of those old western shoot outs, Wild Bill Hiccock vs. Billy the Kid they are always talking about. I am soooo scared now. Law abiding citizen shoots, underprivliged choir boy teen in what could have been as bloody and deadly as Waco had it not been the quick actions of the armed police, who arrived 15 min later. Thank god for the police, when seconds count, they are just 15 min away. P.S. Nice grouping in the kids torso, as my dad would call it, 3 in the tree.

I thought that alcohol addicts are not allowed to have guns...
If so, this is just another argument against gun control. An addict who wants to quit his habbit is defenetely better than a robber.

No. Are you so beaten down that you think going to AA is now reason to deprive someone of their rights under the 2nd Amendment?

Statements like this just frost my cookies. I hate frosted cookies.

My only concern when a robber like this is shot is.... did he die too quickly? Scum deserve to die slowly and painfully....

No. Are you so beaten down that you think going to AA is now reason to deprive someone of their rights under the 2nd Amendment?

Statements like this just frost my cookies. I hate frosted cookies.

Amen to that! What next Gambler's anonymous or perhaps smokers. Pick a vice, I'm sure there are some anti's out there who would could dream up a whole lot of reasons to deny you your 2nd amendment rights.

I know plenty of people in AA who have gun permits, it is no reason to deprive someone of their rights. By your logic, they shouldn't have a drivers license either, which is a privilage, not a right. People in AA catch a huge stigma because of it, but they are just people trying to get their lives in order, it doesn't mean they are bad people.

Well acording to the Clinton Rules of Gun Law, this must have been one of those old western shoot outs, Wild Bill Hiccock vs. Billy the Kid they are always talking about. I am soooo scared now. Law abiding citizen shoots, underprivliged choir boy teen in what could have been as bloody and deadly as Waco had it not been the quick actions of the armed police, who arrived 15 min later. Thank god for the police, when seconds count, they are just 15 min away. P.S. Nice grouping in the kids torso, as my dad would call it, 3 in the tree.

Dude, this wasn't in Massachusetts. The article is in favor of the guy who shot the robber and almost all the comments are in favor of him too. It's only in MA where all of our criminals are choir boys.

+1 to the GG in this case. He's (presumably) recovering from a major life problem and at the same time helping himself and his peers at the AA meeting not be victims of senseless robbery.

I'm a little disappointed here.

An alcoholic is nothing more or less than a person that is addicted to alcohol.

Who is stronger? A man that does not drink because they don't like getting drunk, or a man that does not drink because he knows he won't be able to stop if he starts?

Neither one is unsuitable to my thinking.

Despise the man that instead (alcoholic or not) gets drunk and keeps his weapon with him despite knowing he could hurt someone.

+1 to the GG for defending himself and others!

where oh where

the problem with forums is that people take their experiance from there prospective.get a look at south carolnas castle law.2 you dont need a permit to own a gun,3 you dont need a permit to buy a pistol 4 a permit is if you carry concealed.5 if you want to get voted out of office submit a anti gun bill.
most people carry their shot gun or pistol in their truck.no one says any thing if you shoot.I just go out my front door and shoot.we got 3 deer from the front door this fall.and there are 5 that browes the field almost every day in front of the house.
more and more people are shooting when being confronted by a robber.
we have 4 deputies on duty in daytime for whole county.the sheriff expects you to take care of your self and they do the paper work after.[rolleyes]

Thank you for the correction, and for not whacking me with a negative rep point that I probably deserved for the misread.

lol, I don't do neg rep points, nor was this the level of infraction that I believe someone would get neg repped for. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom