• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Malloy CT SOTS Speech - All About Gun Bans

xtry51

NES Member
I watched for 10 minutes and I had to turn it off. The ****ing guy pulls an Obama, fake tears and all, then ploughs ahead about how more guns is not the answer and we need more legislation both in CT and federally.

His entire State of the State speech is about gun grabbing.

I'm going to start packing up my house.

Speech text:
http://www.branfordseven.com/news/state/article_e4a79502-5a84-11e2-8f15-001a4bcf6878.html

Finally, we are joined by two of Newtown’s finest leaders: First Selectwoman Pat Llodra and School Superintendent Dr. Janet Robinson. It’s an honor to have you with us today. Tested by unimaginable tragedy, your compassion and leadership over the past month has been an inspiration to Connecticut, and to me personally.

IT WON’T SURPRISE you that this speech is very different from the one I first envisioned giving. In the early days of December, I began thinking about what I’d like to say. Now, while it’s only been a few short weeks on the calendar, we have all walked a very long and very dark road together.

What befell Newtown is not something we thought possible in any of Connecticut’s beautiful towns or cities. And yet, in the midst of one of the worst days in our history, we also saw the best of our state.

Teachers and a therapist that sacrificed their lives protecting students.

A principal and school psychologist that ran selflessly into harm’s way.

Our brave Connecticut State Police, Newtown’s local law enforcement, firemen, and others that responded courageously when called upon.

In the aftermath, a selectwoman, a superintendent, and other local officials that have served around-the-clock bringing comfort and stability to Newtown.

And today, Sandy Hook’s teachers are doing what they do best: putting the interest of their students first as they return to classrooms, providing stability and continuity that has never been so important and so needed.

And then, of course, there are the families. Twenty-six families that despite an unimaginable loss have gotten up each and every day since, have been there for one another, and have supported their community as much as that community has supported them.

They have persevered. And in that perseverance, we all find strength. We have lifted one another up and continued on, carrying the spirit of our fallen heroes, our wounded families, and our beautiful lost children.

AS A STATE and as a community, we will continue to do everything we can for the families of Newtown. But we also must ask ourselves: What is our responsibility? To those we’ve lost, to one another, to our children, and to future generations?

During this legislative session, we’re going to begin to answer those questions together. Let us do everything in our power to ensure that Connecticut never again suffers such a loss; that we take real steps to make our kids and our communities safer.

Last week, my administration announced the formation of the Sandy Hook Advisory Commission, comprised of experts in mental health, education, law enforcement, and first response.

We may never know what motivated the events at Sandy Hook Elementary, but that won’t stop us from working to prevent future tragedy. Over the coming months, the commission will come together to make specific, actionable recommendations in the areas of school safety, mental health services, and gun violence prevention.

This session, I know there will be others that take action on these issues, and I applaud those efforts. The more resources we can bring to bear on this issue, the better. Working together we can and will affect real change.

There are some things we know already.

We know that we must find ways to better respond to those with mental health needs. As a society, we have an obligation to take action in a meaningful way when a person seeks our help or demonstrates a need for it. We must balance our respect for individual rights with our obligation to provide for the greater public safety.

And when it comes to preventing future acts of violence in our schools, let me say this: more guns are not the answer. Freedom is not a handgun on the hip of every teacher, and security should not mean a guard posted outside every classroom.

That is not who we are in Connecticut, and it is not who we will allow ourselves to become.

We also know that this conversation must take place nationally. As long as weapons continue to travel up and down I-95, what is available for sale in Florida or Virginia can have devastating consequences here in Connecticut.

There will be more to say in the weeks ahead, but let me be clear today: our focus will be first and foremost on protecting Connecticut’s families.

THOSE CONVERSATIONS WON’T always be easy, but as your Governor I’ve learned there is no challenge we will face that can’t be overcome with the power of our community.

We have come together time and time again. We’ve done it with purpose – because we know there is something bigger and more important than who we are as individuals.

My friends, as we begin this legislative session let us be guided by devotion to the common good, by faith in one another, and by a determination to work together to make our community as strong as it can be in every way.

Looking back over these past twenty-four months, we’ve faced many challenges together: the largest per-capita budget deficit in the nation; a struggling economy; a fractured public school system; untenable energy costs; and natural disasters the likes of which our generation had never seen.

And then, in December, just when we thought the worst had happened… it actually did.

The people of Connecticut, the communities you represent, and all of us in this chamber – when tested, we met those challenges head on.

We did as our forefathers did, as our grandparents and parents taught us.

We dug in. We banded together.

We decided to focus not on what makes us different, but on what makes us the same – our common humanity.

It is this core strength and spirit of community that brought us together to accomplish so much on behalf of the people of Connecticut.

Last edited:
What's different about crimes committed with a gun that they are so quick to call for gun control? After Oklahoma City, they didn't call for a ban on fertilizer, diesel fuel, or trucks. After September 11, they didn't call for a ban on boxcutters. In both those situations they implemented security protocols to prevent another such event. With this school shooting you have them saying that more security is not the answer, we need to ban guns.

And when it comes to preventing future acts of violence in our schools,

When do they get Tom Cruise and those bitches in the pool? Is Malloy heading the Department of PRE-Crime now?

Seriously, WTF?!? This is worse than Ayn Rand ever imagined. People need to wake the **** up now!

let me say this: more guns are not the answer

Yea. Sure. More helpless unarmed victums. That is the answer. [angry]

What's different about crimes committed with a gun that they are so quick to call for gun control? After Oklahoma City, they didn't call for a ban on fertilizer, diesel fuel, or trucks. After September 11, they didn't call for a ban on boxcutters. In both those situations they implemented security protocols to prevent another such event. With this school shooting you have them saying that more security is not the answer, we need to ban guns.

Didn't the Columbine shooting happen during the first AWB?

This is all about CONTROL and nothing to do with guns. It is easy and simple to point to the NRA and legal gun owners as the patsy in all of this.

Didn't the Columbine shooting happen during the first AWB?

This is all about CONTROL and nothing to do with guns. It is easy and simple to point to the NRA and legal gun owners as the patsy in all of this.

yes, it did.

As Atilla said yes. Also note that one of the guns used was a high-point carbine. The only magazines that existed then for it were 10 round mags as it was created after the AWB and used its own proprietary mags. Even now, Promag only recently (like the past couple years) started making 15 rounders for the thing.

Columbine is proof positive an AWB with "high-capacity" magazine ban does nothing to stop murders.

We may never know what motivated the events at Sandy Hook Elementary, but that won’t stop us from working to prevent future tragedy.

Shouldn't the first step to avoid repeating an event be to understand what caused the event?

Nah, let's just pass a bunch of laws.

As Atilla said yes. Also note that one of the guns used was a high-point carbine. The only magazines that existed then for it were 10 round mags as it was created after the AWB and used its own proprietary mags. Even now, Promag only recently (like the past couple years) started making 15 rounders for the thing.

Columbine is proof positive an AWB with "high-capacity" magazine ban does nothing to stop murders.

Nope..it only proves the laws weren't tough enough /saracasm off

Back
Top Bottom