Malden police fire on suspect after he tried to pin officers

Well the guy that got shot died of a leg wound. Seems like there is more to the story, but its not worth getting in a whole arguement about.

Lastly, just imagine your kid is out at 17 drunk driving and panics when a cops throws his lights on. The cop pulls him over and draws his gun, and your kid panics (being drunk) and tries to speed off. The cop then shoots your kid dead. Seriously, is that the kind of power and outcome you want? I certainly dont want my kid getting killed for being stupid and panicing. Id like to think the cops would not put themselves in the position to be "runover" in the first place. Its very simple. Box in the suspects car with the police car.

Im done with this thread now. Go ahead and flame me for not lynching criminals and throwing the cops on my shoulders...

If you got hit in the femoral artery, it wouldn't take long to bleed out. Nothing crazy there. If a kid is 17, drunk driving and panics, you shouldn't be surprised if something bad happens. If you are 17 and drunk driving IN A STOLEN CAR AND ALMOST RUN OVER THE COP, yes I would expect to get shot.

At one point do you think the cop should be allowed to shoot?

Last edited by a moderator:
LEE_manhunt1_met.jpg.jpg

If that's the front windshield that I'm seeing, that's a pretty good shot by the officer.
If they indeed tried to run down 2 officers then good job and good riddance.

How did a shot through the upper windshield hit the guy in the leg? Seems an awfully steep angle for a ricochet.

bullets- especially small calibers- do funny things when they encounter windshields. there's been all kinds of chatter in the leo / mil circles about the inadequacy of the 5.56 when shooting through windshields. Hence the 6.8, etc. also, if you'd just pinned an LEO against a car, and he drew and pointed a firearm at you, would you just remain seated with your hands at 10 and 2? personally, i'd be scrambling to get out of the car or into the back seat...

Yup

Well the guy that got shot died of a leg wound. Seems like there is more to the story, but its not worth getting in a whole arguement about.
What more can there be? The perp got shot in the shoulder by the one shot through the windshield and got shot in the leg by another officer who shot through the side window while standing next to the car. Sounds straight forward to me.
Long story short, I really think that citizens have too much power in general. The idea that a citizen has a "license to kill" and simply needs to say, "the driver tried to run me over" scares the hell out of me.
Changed it for you... does it make any difference to you?
Lynne - Its the amount of power they have that concerns me.
It appears to me that you are just anti-LE. If you support a persons right to self defense in any way you should have no problems with what was done. If you are anti-LE just say so. It is OK people have their reasons... but please do not insult our intelligence by trying to criticize the officers actions in this incident.
Gotta figure, no one is going to even question the cop. There is just no way he lost his temper and shot the kid in the car and decided to claim he was struck by the car.
Are you forgetting that there were multiple officers there as well as several witnesses that corroborate the incident. I guess they must all be lying.
He had no injuries
What do injuries have to do with anything? I have been struck by a car before and did not receive any injuries. Injuries are not a pre requisite to deadly force. If someone pulls a gun on you are you justified in using deadly force? Did you receive any injuries as a result of a gun being pointed at you?
and if you ask me, shouldnt have been approaching a running vehicle in the first place.
Ummm...... isn't every motor vehicle stop conducted on a running vehicle? Are you supposed to wait until they run out of gas. You are living in a fantasy world.
Just because the pricks in the car were wrong, doesnt mean they needed the cops escalating the situation, does it?
Ummmm. the bad guys escalated the situation [rolleyes][rolleyes] The cops would have gladly handcuffed them and taken them away if the perps complied.
Consider this. A guy is holding people hostage in a bank. Does the cop go running in and get everyone killed or does he wait for backup and handle it with a little more discretion.
The bank robbers are not using deadly force in an attempt to get away. Apples to oranges.
Again, I am not saying that the cop shouldnt shoot if hes in danger of getting run over.
Then why are we even discussing this?
I am saying he shouldnt have put himself in that situation
. How do you figure? The police should not pull over a stolen car?
I personally have no training
This we can agree on Captain Obvious.
and know better than to run in front or behind a running car with a paniced driver. These cops have tons of training and definatly know better.
It is done every day at most traffic stops and accident scenes.
Lastly, just imagine your kid is out at 17 drunk driving and panics when a cops throws his lights on. The cop pulls him over and draws his gun, and your kid panics (being drunk) and tries to speed off.
Again...... apples to oranges. Your kid is not trying to run someone over.

Long story short, if someone tried backing their car over a regular citizen and that citizen killed the passenger of the car, would there be trouble with the law?
Not where I live.

Being assaulted with a deadly weapon (that includes a lot more things than just firearms) and being placed in fear of severe injury or death (being hit by a car qualifies for both in every jurisdiction that I am aware of) is reason enough to use deadly force to defend yourself.

bullets- especially small calibers- do funny things when they encounter windshields. there's been all kinds of chatter in the leo / mil circles about the inadequacy of the 5.56 when shooting through windshields. Hence the 6.8, etc. also, if you'd just pinned an LEO against a car, and he drew and pointed a firearm at you, would you just remain seated with your hands at 10 and 2? personally, i'd be scrambling to get out of the car or into the back seat...

Yeah, that. In particular:

Bullets will deflect DOWN when shot through the windshield. Non-bonded rounds will also fragment. The suspect's leg could well have taken a fragment. Box o' Truth did a bunch of testing on a car:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot2.htm

Anyone remember that Gov. Connelly got 2 wounds from the same bullet? (For you young un's - I'm talking about the Kennedy assasination)

WWWWWAAATTTT

john what did you do to get yourself in trouble.That perp wont be around to cause any more trouble.and for your information any one in the car comes under assesory to a crime.you brought yor kid into it why was he drinking at 17.drunk drivers kill.
the only thing about the cops is the Malden cops I knew many yrs ago could shoot.I wonder if they still have the STAR reloader.andJohn you sound like a flaming liberal.
I was reading the Prof gates comments and the idiots bashing the cop for handcuffing the racest prof.normal proceedure would be to go in with gun in hand and down the suspect on floor on face and handcuff him take him out and then question him.and I think our local LEOs would agree.

Back
Top Bottom