make your own ballistics Gel

SnakeEye

Banned
Ballistic-gel.jpg

1st Recipe
Take 1 part pectin powder (same store isle as gelatin)
then take 1 part gelatin powder
take 3 parts boiling water (double boiler reccomended)
Stirr untill disolved.
Add color if desired
A few drops of oil of wintergreen (from baking supply store) can be used as a preservative.

2nd Recipe
Start with 20 grams gelatin powder
add 12 cc distilled water
then mix with 100 cc glycerin (sometimes available at drugstores, first-aid isle)
Let the mixture soak for about 45 minutes, then heat to 140 degrees in a double boiler, and pour into ziplock bags and lay flat to cool. (add color if needed)
add oil of wintergreen works as a preservative here too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_gelatin

I do wonder how close these recipes come to the actual characteristics of real ballistics gel.

Adam

One way to test it:
#

Gelatin Calibration: Calibration shall consist of gelatin penetration of no less than 3.25 inches and no greater than 3.75 inches by a .177 caliber BB projectile traveling at a velocity of 600 feet per second ± 10 feet per second. Distance from the muzzle of the rifle to the front of the gelatin shall be 10 feet.

OK, I've only got an undergrad 2nd major in physics, so maybe someone here can explain this to me. If we stipulate the velocity of the projectile (600±10fps), exactly what difference would the muzzle distance make? Assuming that somebody got hit with a 168 grain .308 at 1900fps, would the penetration, temporary or permanent cavity, bullet fragmentation or deformation or anything else be any different if it were fired from a light load from short range or a heavy load from a significantly longer range?

Ken

Ken, I'm not sure but I believe that the velocity would be quoted at the end of the barrel or a 1' distance (so you could chronograph it), not at the entry point to the ballistic gelatin.

I'm definately making a ton of that stuff tomorrow. Hopefully it works. Thanks for the recipe.

Now I just need an excuse as to how to make a bunch and then get my girlfriend to clean up after me while I go use it.

Back
Top Bottom