• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MAK90 922R conversion

Dip Dungles

NES Member
Just picked up a MAK90 and I understand the rules on 922R, I get that I need to have 10 or less parts that are imported in order to be legal.
With that said here are the items I want to replace -
1.) Stock/grip
2.) Hand guard
3.) Trigger
4.) Hammer
5.) Disconnector
Since US items would be 6 pieces (stock/grip) I would have my magic number of 10 import parts.

Here is where my dilemma comes up
I would like to get rid of the sport stock mainly because I am a southpaw and it is unbearable to hold after 10 rounds.
The issue I have is that the stamped receiver is slanted so I can't just slap a Magpul stock on and call it a day. I also noticed that I can't run my old Magpul grip because of the slant as well.
I have found www.ironwooddesigns.com who makes US made stocks, grips and handguards, but I want to get away from the traditional AK on this build. Plus, I already ordered a handguard from UltiMax and the packages on IWD appear to not be breakable.
I have heard of AK Parts who makes a Chinese MAK90 slant cut M4 style adapter which could work for me. When I watched the install video the stock appeared to be slanted down and not true with the receiver. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I am not sure.
Aside from the stock I am also looking for a grip that will work correctly with the slanted receiver.

What I would like to know have anyone of you dealt with this type of issue and what did you do to remedy it. If you know of any other companies that offer an adapter like Desert Fox please let me know.

Update time. Finally finished my build and I am happy with the results. Just got to find some time to try her out.

Untitled by Dip Dungles, on Flickr

Went with Gxx9sdb's advice and contacted Ironwood. Spoke with the owner and told him I wanted a dark rich mahogany and he said he had just what I wanted. Also replaced the trigger/hammer and disconnector with ALG and finally a few Krebs items to finish her off.

Well done! The MAK90 has a great trigger though, how does the new one compare?

Well done! The MAK90 has a great trigger though, how does the new one compare?

Just from dry firing I actually prefer it, but I haven't fired one round with this thing yet. I am hoping to this weekend though, just got to clean off some cosmoline from my new to me mags.

Basically in real life nobody actually cares about 922R (and anyone who tells you they do, that isn't an 07 is a liar, because if you read the law its obvious who it actually applies to) although at this point american parts are probably easier to get than foreign ones anyways....

Nice job, though. I should have kept mine. [crying] lol.

-Mike

Basically in real life nobody actually cares about 922R (and anyone who tells you they do, that isn't an 07 is a liar, because if you read the law its obvious who it actually applies to) although at this point american parts are probably easier to get than foreign ones anyways....

-Mike

I totally agree with you Mike, but with the current climate taking a chance wasn't an option I wanted to try.

Awesome. I have a MAK90 built in '94 that had the thumbhole stock on it. F that. I put original Chinese wood on it I got from a guy who collects all kinds of AK and SKS stuff.

I like the dark wood look though. Mine has blonde wood.

Hey guys hows it going? New to the group, stumbled upon this thread as I also recently purchase a mak90 and would love a set of original furniture (not thumbhole of course) but am having a hard time tracking down a solid full set. 45 collector any chance you'd have any way to contact to the guy who you got yours from? Would be much obliged. Also dip dungles I noticed you're missing the metal ferrule on the back of the lower handguard, when my I got my mak90 it was a package deal with a nhm 91 for my dad, luckily that was already nicely converted with original furniture but I noticed it was also missing the same ferrule. I found a website. K-var.com I believe is the site sells original ones but for east German ak's the fit isn't perfect but I'd say 95% just fits a little tight but looks great in case you haven't been able to locate one. Hope you're all doing well.

Hey guys hows it going? New to the group, stumbled upon this thread as I also recently purchase a mak90 and would love a set of original furniture (not thumbhole of course) but am having a hard time tracking down a solid full set. 45 collector any chance you'd have any way to contact to the guy who you got yours from? Would be much obliged. Also dip dungles I noticed you're missing the metal ferrule on the back of the lower handguard, when my I got my mak90 it was a package deal with a nhm 91 for my dad, luckily that was already nicely converted with original furniture but I noticed it was also missing the same ferrule. I found a website. K-var.com I believe is the site sells original ones but for east German ak's the fit isn't perfect but I'd say 95% just fits a little tight but looks great in case you haven't been able to locate one. Hope you're all doing well.

Keep an eye on the AKfiles.com classifieds section. People sell full Chinese sets on there every once in a while but they are pricy ($250+). Is yours a square back receiver though? If it is square you can make almost any AK furniture fit with a little time and filing. I put a Bulgarian AK74 set on a MAK and I really liked how it came out.

Yes it's a straight cut thankfully. And okay will keep an eye on there, would like to keep it Chinese if possible. Thanks for the response on an old thread!

Dang. No worries appreciate the response, and yes I'm familiar with them they are definitely beautiful but like you said expensive. Roughly 300 bucks plus finishing if I go the bare route where I've seen almost complete original sets going for roughly 350-400 for that little cost difference I think I'd rather go the original route. It'll be keeping me eye out for some in the meantime. I'll keep you guys updated!

-Mike

New member, but old Frankenstein builder. Here's a conversion, the new mak90 flats are .050", just right for Russian front trunnions(with minor milling). The problem is, the mak90 flats are 3/8" longer, which creates a dust cover fit issue. Since Norinco front trunnions are unavailable, the flat is a better option over the 1mm. Swapping mak90 parts, and with the flats moving away from the 1.5mm, new builds could become an issue. I had to MIG an extension, to lengthen my dust cover. Looks ugly. Authenticated parts is why Norinco is a collector's item, and ak's are frankensteins.

Back
Top Bottom