Maine gets close to implementing 3 Day Wait Period and makes it illegal to do Paramilitary Training in the State

Maine going downhill fast for gun owners.....

Oh and there's more!

Maine had a trifecta. It took Vermont 3 bills to accomplish all of this. UBC's, then waiting periods, then militia training. Maine to Vermont: Here, hold my beer.
Tons of people from MA, CT, and NY moved up to Maine during Covid, and brought their lefty votes with then. The real estate prices in my area have quadrupled in some towns since 2019. They are getting involved in local politics, pushing for new lefty laws, raising taxes etc. They all need to f*** right off
Every day they are moving into NH, too.
How long before NH falls ? Live free or....nevermind. It feels inevitable given its neighbors.
Not long. We are only one election away.
BTW, waiting periods will be the kiss of death for Kittery Trading Post. No thanks for two trips north in order to buy one gun. Forget about it! o_O
Bingo, and it's "only" 25 miles each way for me. 25x2x2. No thanks. Bought my last rifle there. I guess that was the last one. And ever since they stopped calling the handgun checks in from ME to NH, and then driving it over, I only bought one. It was such a PITA, I don't bother with that anymore, either.
ironically, one of their biggest arguments was that 3 day waiting periods will prevent suicides.
call me heartless but i do not believe for one second that the state (any state) should enter the suicide prevention arena.
But, but, if it saves just one life.... Now, let's pass a bill to institute a 3 day waiting period for abortions just to show how hypocritical they are when they veto it.
Hell, half of them are getting into the suicide promotion arena to realize the Medicaid / Medicare savings.
Exactly. Unless it's an unborn, and then it's to save other social, financial expenditures.

Im guessing KTP will "reopen" the small 10X10 "NH" store thats just across the bridge. Perform the full transfer in NH. Although my last recent visit to ktp on a tue afternoon the gun counters were empty of buyers.

Im guessing KTP will "reopen" the small 10X10 "NH" store thats just across the bridge. Perform the full transfer in NH. Although my last recent visit to ktp on a tue afternoon the gun counters were empty of buyers.
go on a weekend, they are packed.

go on a weekend, they are packed.
I went two weeks ago on a Sunday to use up a $50 gift card. The store was largely empty. Unfortunately, that meant staff as well. They had some Magpull sights on a rack in front of the counter, including the Pro rear sights. I needed a front sight, which was on a shelf behind the counter. I had to take a ticket and wait 20-25 minutes for someone to call the number to just walk behind the counter for that. I got to the checkout line. They had two cashiers, but one was leaving to go handle firearm transfers. A couple of customers were allowed to take their items to the downstairs registers; mine was set behind the counter, and I was told I'd have to wait because it wasn't allowed at the other registers. 8 people left in line, and one cashier. I had my family waiting in the car, so I just left. I don't plan on going back.

I went two weeks ago on a Sunday to use up a $50 gift card. The store was largely empty. Unfortunately, that meant staff as well. They had some Magpull sights on a rack in front of the counter, including the Pro rear sights. I needed a front sight, which was on a shelf behind the counter. I had to take a ticket and wait 20-25 minutes for someone to call the number to just walk behind the counter for that. I got to the checkout line. They had two cashiers, but one was leaving to go handle firearm transfers. A couple of customers were allowed to take their items to the downstairs registers; mine was set behind the counter, and I was told I'd have to wait because it wasn't allowed at the other registers. 8 people left in line, and one cashier. I had my family waiting in the car, so I just left. I don't plan on going back.

Sell the card

Gun owners of Maine and sportsmen’s alliance of Maine have already announced that they are pooling resources to fight the waiting period bullshyte. There should be a lawsuit filed soon.
I’m reading that GOA, GOME and SAM are filing.
I just sent money last month to GOA and the other two are on my desk.

This directly from a gome email earlier…

We met with our attorneys this morning, in conjunction with the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine and other gun rights organizations. We are 100% pursuing legal action. We will keep you apprised of the developments as they occur.
What we need now from you: inform your contacts of what is going on, and if able, donate to either Gun Owners of Maine or SAM with a dedication donation to our "legal fund". We will need hundreds of thousands of dollars to see this through to the end and every bit helps.
We have seen an outpouring of support over the last few days since Governor Mills allowed this to go into law without her signature. Without action from us and our allies, in 90 days from the time the legislature adjourns, this WILL be law in Maine.
Go to our website gunownersofmaine.org to donate online, or send by mail to:
Gun Owners of Maine
PO Box 5011
Augusta, ME 04330
memo: legal fund
Thank you for your support, and please be on the lookout for upcoming fundraising events.

Also, a note about a strategy they chose not to try……

Many people have asked why we aren't pursuing a People's Veto. We feel strongly that overturning this legislation in court will be more effective in the long run, however here are a few of the reasons we aren't going to be mounting an effort for signature gathering:
  • A people's veto campaign can cost between $5 and $8 Million dollars
  • It will not stop this legislation from going into law until all the signatures have been gathered and verified. We would need 70,000 signatures, split evenly between the congressional districts. This is a huge undertaking and even more so with less than 3 months to accomplish it.
  • Once signatures have been gathered, we would be relying on Shenna Bellows to certify them.
  • Once certified, we would have to undergo a massive ad campaign to get it passed at the ballot box. We all know out-of-state monies would be pouring in to defeat us.
  • If successful, a people's veto is only good until the legislature decides to overturn it- whereas a court finding would carry long-term weight.
  • If unsuccessful, we have spent millions of dollars with nothing to show for it.

KTP moving would just be another victory for firearm prohibitionists. They have lobbied for KTP to stop selling centerfire semiautomatic carbines for years and would no doubt be elated with the whole company being gone from the state.

Also, with Sununu checking out, NH is probably not too far from ending up with the same stupid law. No point in moving unless KTP is going to make it count by leaving New England altogether for a free state with better prospects.

KTP also announced they will be joining the lawsuit that SAM and GOME are bringing.
They don't WANT to move if they can help it.

Even if they move to NH, anyone from Maine will still have to endure a three day wait if they buy a gun from them in NH. I know VT people buying guns in NH have to follow VT's 3 day wait. That's why I'll be surprised if MA doesn't add a 3 day waiting period to their new bill, as it would make things more difficult for gun owners.

Even if they move to NH, anyone from Maine will still have to endure a three day wait if they buy a gun from them in NH. I know VT people buying guns in NH have to follow VT's 3 day wait. That's why I'll be surprised if MA doesn't add a 3 day waiting period to their new bill, as it would make things more difficult for gun owners.
Even the least intelligent, rabidly leftist MA politician can figure out that 3 days wait won't stop a gun-related suicide if it already takes weeks, months or even years to get a license to buy a gun in the first place. 🤪

On the other hand, anything to further harass and torment a licensed gunowner in MA, regardless of flawed logic, is probably considered a "win" for the lefty anti-2A scum... so nothing out of the Legislature would surprise me. :(

Back
Top Bottom