Maine deer report from last week.

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
No pics yet, but hunting each year with my three grown sons can't be beat. I personally just kept the stumps warm with my behind but the boys did OK. Oldest son, Mark from Alaska took a 10 point, dressed 200, middle son Scott from Mason, NH took a 6 point, dressed 171, youngest son Lance from Fitzwilliam, NH took a doe, dressed 128. Maybe my turn when NH opens for rifle on wed. Jack.

Better luck then us so far I'm up in Maine at my dad's hunting for a week and we haven't seen anything.

Well, I saw an owl which was pretty cool but that's it.

Better luck then us so far I'm up in Maine at my dad's hunting for a week and we haven't seen anything.

Well, I saw an owl which was pretty cool but that's it.

Our deer camp is in the Dixmont/Jackson area. Lots of deer, very few hunters. We saw or jumped probably 10 or 12 more than what got tipped over. Jack.

I've got my fingers crossed that this year will be a goodun. Lots of apples on the trees, lots of sign in the woods. Rifle's shooting dead nuts at 75 yards.

Glad to hear you guys filled 3/4 tags.

Was bird hunting 1/4 mile south of the Golden Rd Saturday from Moosehead. Saw nothing. Not a track in the snow but a few footprints and tire tracks.

The deer in northern Maine took an absolute beating last winter. I hunted the high country near Saddleback Mountain and Rangeley area to find very sporadic sign of deer. Just thirty miles south in Farmington, the deer are still around, but not plentiful.

Was bird hunting 1/4 mile south of the Golden Rd Saturday from Moosehead. Saw nothing. Not a track in the snow but a few footprints and tire tracks.

I've been all over the North Woods, I've seen maybe 20 birds all fall.

I did see what looked like an 8 point buck last night. I think he knew everyone is gunning for him, he was a couple miles from a huge herd of does.

Well, today was a "one that got away" day for my crew, all 4 of us saw deer. I fired at a large buck, when I first saw him all I could see were antlers moving through the brush, then he came into an opening I fired a shot, he kept walking, I jacked another shell, fired again, he kept walking, jacked another shell, got on him again fired, this time he booked it into the woods. I was firing from about 150-175 yards across a bog off hand.

I went over, found where I hit him, found hair and some good streaks of blood, we tracked that deer with a drip of blood every 2-3 feet, across a swamp, up and down hills. for _8_ hours, every time he would stop there would be a pool of blood, he never laid down. Twice he stopped to poo and their was blood all in the poo so we're thinking he may have been ponched but there was no ponch material, no fat and the blood was bright red. We lost the trail at about 4pm after the second time he poo'd blood, we think he was getting the blood out of himself and he wouldn't bleed for 20-30 yards after that because we had a lot of trouble the first time too.

I think we're going back in tomorrow and beat around see if he didn't lay down behind a house and bleed out eventually. I just hope we either find him or he makes it, after going for somewhere near 8 hours, UP some steep hills he's a tough ass deer and definitely earned it if he makes it.

Well, today was a "one that got away" day for my crew, all 4 of us saw deer. I fired at a large buck, when I first saw him all I could see were antlers moving through the brush, then he came into an opening I fired a shot, he kept walking, I jacked another shell, fired again, he kept walking, jacked another shell, got on him again fired, this time he booked it into the woods. I was firing from about 150-175 yards across a bog off hand.

I went over, found where I hit him, found hair and some good streaks of blood, we tracked that deer with a drip of blood every 2-3 feet, across a swamp, up and down hills. for _8_ hours, every time he would stop there would be a pool of blood, he never laid down. Twice he stopped to poo and their was blood all in the poo so we're thinking he may have been ponched but there was no ponch material, no fat and the blood was bright red. We lost the trail at about 4pm after the second time he poo'd blood, we think he was getting the blood out of himself and he wouldn't bleed for 20-30 yards after that because we had a lot of trouble the first time too.

I think we're going back in tomorrow and beat around see if he didn't lay down behind a house and bleed out eventually. I just hope we either find him or he makes it, after going for somewhere near 8 hours, UP some steep hills he's a tough ass deer and definitely earned it if he makes it.

Look near water- they tend to lie down in water when they are hit.

Look near water- they tend to lie down in water when they are hit.

Yeah, we scouted the area pretty good this morning with no luck, I'm pretty sure he didn't die, after he was hit we tracked him several hundred yards and he never lied down, stumbled, nothing, he was climbing some of the steepest hills in the woods without leaving any blood smears. We're hoping he got away and lived to fight another day. I hate wounding a deer like that, hindsight I should have backed up and found a steadier rest before firing but at the time I felt like I was holding pretty steady on him. And, I HATE my trigger on my Ruger M77 it's somewhere around 12lb pull and makes it hard to shoot off-hand without pulling it. So, you live you learn, this was the first deer I've fired at in years, if I don't see another one this year at least I had this experience.

Yeah, we scouted the area pretty good this morning with no luck, I'm pretty sure he didn't die, after he was hit we tracked him several hundred yards and he never lied down, stumbled, nothing, he was climbing some of the steepest hills in the woods without leaving any blood smears. We're hoping he got away and lived to fight another day. I hate wounding a deer like that, hindsight I should have backed up and found a steadier rest before firing but at the time I felt like I was holding pretty steady on him. And, I HATE my trigger on my Ruger M77 it's somewhere around 12lb pull and makes it hard to shoot off-hand without pulling it. So, you live you learn, this was the first deer I've fired at in years, if I don't see another one this year at least I had this experience.

It sucks loosing a deer. I shot one in Colrain MA during MA bow season one year and
tracked that sucker for an entire day. While I was down in the swamps looking for a
blood trail that was thinning I heard a car/truck out on the road (about a 1/4 mile away)
stop, doors opening/closing, and didn't think anything of it until we tracked the deer out
to the edge of the field near the road and the blood trail abruptly stopped. We figured
that someone came along saw the deer in the field, picked it up and took off. We
searched for another day from that point and never found another trace of the deer.

Was up in New Portland for a few days and didnt see anything. Saw some sign but not much. Heard lots of shooting though so I hope others had better luck than we did. Got a little buck down in RI so I at least have some meat in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom