Mailing ammo

What is the process with mailing ammo from MA? As far as I know, it just involved putting the ORM-D sticker on the box and taking it to the UPS center.
Has anybody successfully mailed ammo from the UPS center in Somerville?

Thanks!

UPS stores will not accept ammo.

UPS Shipping Depots will (they are few and far apart - Ashland and Chelmsford come to mind), or you can open a free account at www.ups.com and print your own shipping label (billed to a credit card), and then use the on-line account to schedule a pickup (about $3 extra). Once you have a UPS account,. UPS wil leven send you free materials to print labels on you laser or inkjet printer.

Print stickers from http://www.uspsa.org/orm-d

UPS stores will not accept ammo.

UPS Shipping Depots will (they are few and far apart - Ashland and Chelmsford come to mind), or you can open a free account at www.ups.com and print your own shipping label (billed to a credit card), and then use the on-line account to schedule a pickup (about $3 extra). Once you have a UPS account,. UPS will even send you free materials to print labels on you laser or inkjet printer.

Print stickers from http://www.uspsa.org/orm-d
Everything you need to know on this subject in 4 succinct sentences. Read and heed.

Unless you are shipping special hand loaded match ammo, it is usually cheaper and easier to just buy it where you are going.
Assuming, of course, you are confident you will be able to find what you need :)

assuming you are allowed to buy it there.

refresh my memory on out of state residents being allowed to buy ammo in MA

If anybody needs it, theres a UPS depot on route 140 in Shrewesbury, south of Route 9. The staff was very friendly when I shipped S&W a semi for repairs.

If anybody needs it, theres a UPS depot on route 140 in Shrewesbury, south of Route 9. The staff was very friendly when I shipped S&W a semi for repairs.

I used to work there.

If you go to a UPS hub(actual UPS building) you will not have any issues, UPS stores will not except.

When I was there I worked on the N.H. "belt" loading the trailers. I had days when I my trailer was filled with ammo. This was before the "shortage"

There is also a UPS Hub in Brockton. Check first, but experience at another location (now closed) years ago was that they were open 'til ~7PM for drop-offs.

if you set up your online account, you "should" be able to hand the package off to ANY UPS truck you happen to pass making deliveries/pickups. I've done that before (with non gun stuff) with no problem at all. They take it from you and scan in the barcode label on your shipping label, it's entered into their system and you are off and running.

Unless you are shipping special hand loaded match ammo, it is usually cheaper and easier to just buy it where you are going.
I'm out at the USPSA Nationals in Las Vegas, and many people shipped ammo in. The first of two matches had over 400 competitors, and the second (the matches are split by division) will be of similar size. Even if you set aside the fact that most of these people shipped in their "special ammo", just imagine 800 competitors convening on Las Vegas gun shops looking for 9mm, 40 and 45 (each competitor typically brings 500 rounds).

We had a very friendly gun shop accept delivery. Las Vegas hotels charge for stuff that is free just about anywhere else. Print a boarding pass on their system - $3.00. Internet? $12.99/day. Receive a package? Pay per package with a per-pound surcharge. I don't have any idea how a Las Vegas hotel would react to several hundred ORM-D packages arriving for their "guests".

I did say "Usually". Always exceptions. Heading to a large match is NOT the time to do a "drop in" purchase.

I've always found a call ahead and a credit card work just fine. And just let your fingers do the walking. If you don't like the price quoted, try another. Or better yet, use the 'contacts' page from the club you are heading to to get a recommendation. An IDPA match in Florida had me driving to a warehouse park that didn't look all that inviting, but once I found the right door, it was a small shop run by an Army Vet who managed the warehouses, but guns were his passion. Probably the best price I've ever paid for brass cased .45 came from that shop.

And yea, coming into MA is unique, but us going other places is usually an eye opener for people used to the way Ammo is sold in MA.

Heck, in some states where the population isn't dense enough to support specialty gun shops, you'd be amazed where you can get ammo. In Idaho, I was directed to a local BOOKSTORE! Sure enough, the owners were shooters and they carried all kinds of stock. In fact, I'd say about 40% or more of their store was firearms/hunting related, but the only outward sign was "Hunting licenses sold here" on the door. Wouldn't be surprised if the book sales were the lower of the two incomes.

In Wyoming, one small town I stopped into just had your stereotypical General Store and the ammo and beer were in the same isle.

I'm sure today the pickings are not as plentiful, but I don't see why you can't call ahead and at least see before dealing with shipping ammo.

Many carriers allow you to check a limited quantity. Worth looking into for an 'emergency' stash or such. Also good for bringing home the 'leftovers'.

Back
Top Bottom