Magpul B.A.D. Lever - Do I Want One?

Only looking for opinions from those who have actually had a B.A.D. lever installed on an AR they own. I think if you're not used to an accessory and try it on someone else's gun it's easy to dislike it.

Looking to decide if I want to spend the $30 or if I'm going to get it and just find it cumbersome.

Yes, all my rifles will have one.
Toying with the idea of getting a phase 5 tactical lever.

It's like the slide release on a pistol: You want a one-hand operation to close the bolt. With the AR, I release the mag and drop the bolt with the right hand without changing its position. It's all good. They are on all my AR15s. [wink]

Honestly your better off not getting into the habit of having one. They are definitely nice for locking the bolt back.

I use them on 3 gun, it makes the reloading quicker and more streamlined. I've never had issues and soon will be looking into a bolt catch that has a BAD style lever built into it.

I bought a cheap one (it bends if not careful) that is cast not machined, to try it out.

I find it most useful at the range when I want don't want to close the bolt until I am positive that if a round fired when i did that it would basically hit the target.

I could see that in the field you could drop a mag with the right index finger while your left one was pulling a fresh one from your vest, then insert mag with left, and while the left was giving hand signals to the other Operators, the right index could close the bolt.

I'm not that good, I'd have to leave the other Operators waiting for instructions why I slapped it closed with my left hand.

Anyone find it annoying having the lever in the trigger guard with your finger? My biggest concern is that I'm going to find that irritating.

I have closed my bolt with the middle of my trigger finger while reloading. If the lever that extends into the trigger guard was shorter I think this would not be an issue, if it happens to me again I'll cut it but it only happened to me once or twice.

i have one. i liked it at first for convenience of locking and dropping the bolt. however, after using it for a while I found that it caused multiple malfunctions while doing mag change drills. sometimes I would hit the bad when reaching for the mag release as they are so close to eachother and I wouldnt realize it. not fun when you pull the trigger and hear a click. i use the flat cmc trigger so there is not much room in the trigger guard for both the trigger and the bad and your finger. btw i have the tactical link bad not the magpul "bad" not sure if they are different

Bought one and installed it. Haven't shot with it yet. Was happy to find it non-intrusive in the trigger guard and it's nice for manual bolt hold-open. My biggest gripe is that it's just one more gizmo hanging off my gun, when I prefer a streamlined AR. Seems like a good enough product. Time will tell if it stays on the gun.

Back
Top Bottom