Maadi build

dgrafton

NES Member
So I got a couple receivers in a group buy about a year and a half ago, a '74 and a '47. Then shtf with Newtown and kits got scarce and expensive. I finally tracked down a Maadi kit and a Bulgy '74 kit last May and also a virgin 7.62 barrel.

Finally found some time to start the build a few weeks ago. Needless to say, it was quite the learning experience. I learned a lot from threads on NES, and got a vote of confidence from Flintoid when he was still around. Still, there is no experience like just doing it, from drilling the receiver for the trunnions to pressing and populating the barrel to final assembly. All done with just a vise, drill press and some of the assembly tools from Toth.

I had a couple of hiccups last week and had to demill the front trunnion. Got back to it this week, and this is the result. I still have to function test with live ammo, and the last couple of MA bs touches.

It is definitely not refined, and it never will be. It will get a finish of hi-temp bbq paint in a few weeks, and at some point I will make a longer stock. I like the dirty peasant look, it fits my demeanor. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395196222.521152.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
First build was an amd65. Looking at parts to build another one, different variation. Headspace looks good? Mine still has the peasant look? Nice job

Last edited:
First build was an amd65. Looking at parts to build another one, different variation. Headspace looks good? Mine still has the peasant look? Nice job

Yeah, that was one of the hiccups. It was a virgin barrel, and I had never checked headspace before.

I pressed the barrel in too far, and couldn't use the Toth kit to press it back out because the rear trunnion was in. So I took the brass pusher from the kit, an old wheelbarrow axle and a three pound sledge to push the barrel back out.

That was after I had to push it back out because I didn't have clearance on one of the rivets and it started going in crooked.

The three pound sledge was way more useful than the drill press, lol. After I shoot it the first time, I will recheck the headspace.

Good job.

If flintoid were still here, I am sure he would say the same, likely in an offensive and inappropriate way.

Yeah, I was kinda looking forward to it. I think a comment like that from him was a sign of success.

looks nice, i didn't even paint my maadi receiver.....
looks better raw.... just throw some oil on it once in a while....

Maadi's had folding stocks... the maadi kits came through with furniture from croatia on them...
(mine came with a parts checklist written in serbo-croat)
so i call it a "Croataadi"

crow-ah-tahdee

i haven't copyrighted that so... no royalties are needed.....

Mine was rusting in the safe before I started the build. I am better off painting it.

Range tested it yesterday. Rechecked headspace after a few shots, still good. Checked windage adjustment, good so pinned front sight base. Drilled and pinned for brake and thought I ruined build, but started another thread about that. Welded brake this morning. Will probably paint it week after next.

Back
Top Bottom