• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Towns Suspending Licensing?

Looks like they removed the post on their FB page.

Out of interest I looked on their FB page and did not see that posting. Has it been removed? If not can you post it as media (linked) rather than a photo?

🐯
Out of interest I looked on their FB page and did not see that posting. Has it been removed? If not can you post it as media (linked) rather than a photo?

🐯

Add Watertown to the list.

No mention of renewals, but it'll probably be business as usual and they'll drag their feet with setting up an appointment.

Effective immediately the following programs have been suspended:

Prescription Drop Box
• Public use of the Community Room
• Fingerprint requests
• New LTC/FID application processing
• In person records requests (on-line & telephone requests only)

View: https://twitter.com/WatertownPD/status/1239637570260254720/photo/1

If this state wasn't f***ing retarded they would just put up a portal where you could file for a renewal, fill out some things if anything changed, etc, and then press a button and it would fire off the app to the issuing authority, you get a receipt at the end that you can print out and use for your infinite grace period, and nobody has to "touch" anything until the license is either picked up or gets mailed, etc. They could even take payment electronically etc.

-Mike

It's no coincidence. The letters from chiefs read almost identically from town to town. This is an organized effort to delay/dissuade LTC holders. Otherwise, they would all be saying Mail it in and we'll process them . . . just like MGL says is acceptable.
They probably ran the rough drafts past the AG's office to be certain of the correct verbiage. I am sure that Maura and her staff were more than happy to assist!

If this state wasn't f***ing retarded they would just put up a portal where you could file for a renewal, fill out some things if anything changed, etc, and then press a button and it would fire off the app to the issuing authority, you get a receipt at the end that you can print out and use for your infinite grace period, and nobody has to "touch" anything until the license is either picked up or gets mailed, etc. They could even take payment electronically etc.

-Mike
What you suggest is a very efficient way to conduct these transactions. Sure, there would be some time and money invested in the portal, but the cost savings over time would more than pay the initial start-up and maintenance cost. Unfortunately, it will likely never materialize. It would jeopardize the job security of our bungling bureaucrats!

-Mike
Like EBT cards.

What you suggest is a very efficient way to conduct these transactions. Sure, there would be some time and money invested in the portal, but the cost savings over time would more than pay the initial start-up and maintenance cost. Unfortunately, it will likely never materialize. It would jeopardize the job security of our bungling bureaucrats!

Nah, it's just MA state sloth. Nobody's job would be in danger. PDs don't pay people to do licensing full time, they take some guy (like a detective, even!) who has an existing job and make him do it grudgingly. And the state only has a handful of people that do the crap in Chelsea, none of the positions involved would be threatened at all.

This idea would save the applicant and the PD's licensing officer a shitload of time. The licensing officer would only have to click on applications, briefly review/approve them, and press a button and then it would send the order to the state to create the new license. Or at least let people renew once or twice via computer unless they need a new picture or something, but shit even that could be
done remotely, too. The thing would pay for itself in a year. Probably make up the cost alone just in dropped renewals (there are metric ass tons of people who just lapse for years and forget to renew on time, etc, if it was automated people would just do
it, and they'd get less erratic revenue. )

-Mike

My MA PD has been using RMV picture for a number of years now. Numerous PDs do the same thing. No need to take a special picture for each gov't permission slip.

My MA PD has been using RMV picture for a number of years now. Numerous PDs do the same thing. No need to take a special picture for each gov't permission slip.

Yeah true enough, and it is abundantly clear to me that the systems already talk to each other, because when you go to get a PIN the dude at FRB cross checks your DL etc to verify who you are, so those systems are already integrated. Just a few more lines of code to suck in the current DL pic.

-Mike

From Pembroke PD, got a phone call also about my upcoming renewal.

Effective Immediately, The Pembroke Police Department will only be accepting License to Carry/Firearms Identification renewals by US mail. In-person interviews will be done at later time. New applications will not be accepted at this time.

Pembroke Police Department
80 Center St.
Pembroke, Ma. 02359

Please include a check for $100 made out to the Town of Pembroke

If you are over the age of 70 there is no charge for a renewal.

-Mike

My memory is a little fuzzy, but are talking about the same state that f***ed up with the FFL fingerprint scanners or original E‐FA‐10 's or something like that?
Also, the same state that maintains a database of registered firearms that's a clusterf*** riddled with inaccuracies.
That state?

My memory is a little fuzzy, but are talking about the same state that f***ed up with the FFL fingerprint scanners or original E‐FA‐10 's or something like that?
Also, the same state that maintains a database of registered firearms that's a clusterf*** riddled with inaccuracies.
That state?

I did say the state was retarded, did I not? [laugh]

I wish mine did. last time I got my LTC renewed the portrait camera was broken so the detective used his iPhone to take a picture of me. Looks like the worst dating profile selfie ever.

-Mike
You mean like UT. They even let you crop your photo interactively after upload.

My town's LTC photos are terrible- it's from about mid-chest, with plenty of wall above your head. Your face is hardly recognizable, unless you're across the room.[laugh] And, it wasn't just mine- I've seen others. I renewed my DL last week ( talk about timing!), and went for Real ID. The very nice lady at the RMV thought it was about the worst ID picture she'd seen (not even counting the subject of said photo!)[laugh]

Gloves and hand sanitizer are already provided by every police, sheriff's and fire department that I know of and have been for many years.

Thry're just grabbing for another teet, the moment they here the words "federal money" being uttered.
Hear not here

You do get a Thank You every week with your pay check. If you dont like doing the job you are paid for , then find another line of grift. Or, do like most cops and fake a disability.
A few might have exaggerated their disabilities but the majority do not. Just pay

Will grocery store clerks get more? Nope, just their minimum wage.
Pharmacy technicians? Same

Those two groups are going to be exposed at extremely higher rates than police.

Police get paid plenty - asking for more is just greed taking advantage of a crisis

It should be enough to tell the virus they have qualified immunity so it can't infect them.
It’s not greed it’s paying to insure public safety

So, if the state has suspended processing of applications for the license they insist is required to exercise the right, then isn't the requirement for a license to exercise the right also suspended?

Will there be a lawsuit coming against the state and the locals for shutting down licensing and denying people the ability to exercise a fundamental constitutional right during a public emergency? I realize the defendants would typically prevail by hiding behind the public crisis but, what if the only relief being sought was compelling the state to bring the FID/LTC licensing system into the 21st century and implement an appropriate continuity plan?

So, if the state has suspended processing of applications for the license they insist is required to exercise the right, then isn't the requirement for a license to exercise the right also suspended?

Will there be a lawsuit coming against the state and the locals for shutting down licensing and denying people the ability to exercise a fundamental constitutional right during a public emergency? I realize the defendants would typically prevail by hiding behind the public crisis but, what if the only relief being sought was compelling the state to bring the FID/LTC licensing system into the 21st century and implement an appropriate continuity plan?

State of Emergency. They essentially have carte blanche to decide which rules to enforce and which rights to deprive you of.

Wait until they start quartering troops in your living room.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom