MA resident bringing and storing firearms in NH??

Lxpony

NES Member
I have my LTC-A and a collection of rifles and a couple handguns. I was interested in knowing if it would be legal for me to store these firearms in NH without a permit. Can a MA resident possess rifles in NH? I know NH doesnt require a license for a rifle in NH but would I be required to have one since I am a MA resident? How about handguns? I dont want to CCW , just store it. Would I be required to get a NH CCW license to simply bring it over the line?

Thanks

There is no licensing of any kind for ownership or "mere posession" in
NH, aside from concealed carry of a loaded handgun. You can bring
whatever you want up there, no problem. NH, VT, and ME, are all
what I call "free by default" in this regard. (And VT is even more
free as there is no CCW requrement, either. )

You still might want to look at the storage/transport regs for those
states, but they are all less restrictive than MA, and none of them require
a permit for doing so.

Edit: FWIW, the majority of the states in the US are "free by default" in
that regard.... most of them do not license mere posession. There are
really only about a dozen or so states you have to watch out for. The
rest are all "a hell of a lot more sane".

-Mike

Just reciprocate your MA to NH (NH Non-resident Pistol/Revolver Permit) mine was done in about 5 days license in hand. Covers you a bit more as a just in case.

It's not really reciprocity, reciprocity refers to one's CCW license being usable in the other state that that state has CCW reciprocity with (aka your NH permit is good in NC without needing a card from NC). MA does not have reciprocity agreements with anyone.

NH does require a copy of your home state CCW license but thats to avoid the background checks.

It's not really reciprocity, reciprocity refers to one's CCW license being usable in the other state that that state has CCW reciprocity with (aka your NH permit is good in NC without needing a card from NC). MA does not have reciprocity agreements with anyone.

NH does require a copy of your home state CCW license but thats to avoid the background checks.

Thanks for clarification on that.

Yep, just wanted to make sure that someone didn't go CCWign in NH thinking their MA permit allowed them to. NH may allow more freedoms to gun owners but I'm sure they'd still look down on that.

[wink]

lxpony - while drgrant is correct about you bringing guns (lock them up and make sure they're unloaded) to NH, you don't need a NH non-res license for them just to store them there. However, as dpm pointed out, it's only $20 for a NH Non-res license (which you would need if you wanted to carry concealed in NH) and you'll have it in a week or less. You may not want to carry concealed now, but ya never know what's gonna happen down the road. Go for the non-res. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom