MA Non-Res LTC: Related issues, High caps, transporting

Hello!

Ive posted before about living less than a mile over the NH border. Im in the process of getting my MA Non-Res LTC and I still have some questions that Im having trouble finding law specifics one. The following are my questions...could someone point me in the right direction on where to find specifics on these laws or does anyone know the answers:

If i have a NH CCW permit and a MA non-res LTC, my understanding is still that I must fully comply with mass law as to what handgun I carry in MA as well as the mags i use.

-Is it illegal to transport my MA-Illegal guns to a NH range if i must drive through MA? Safe passage should allow this, but i wont have a printout for every practice session I want to have.

-Can i even CROSS the MA border with a high capacity magazine? If i need to drive through MA to every single range I shoot at, how can i legally transport my non-MA legal mags and guns?

-Does everything I do need to be as if i live in MA when carrying with my non-res permit? IE, do i need to use MA-compliant guns even if i limit my magazines to 10 rounders or less?

it seems that living so close to the border opens me up for some nasty repercussions if i am not careful. I am upset that ill, for all intent's purposes, will need to never ever concealed carry my full capacity 9mm mags for fear that my tire might cross into MA on the way to the range or to pick up milk, making me a felon.

If i have a NH CCW permit and a MA non-res LTC, my understanding is still that I must fully comply with mass law as to what handgun I carry in MA as well as the mags i use.

NO and Yes.

Once AGAIN, the AFR applies to DEALER SALES to MA residents only. Carry whatever pistol you want.

POST-ban mags are illegal in MA. Period.

-Is it illegal to transport my MA-Illegal guns to a NH range if i must drive through MA? Safe passage should allow this, but i wont have a printout for every practice session I want to have.

There is no such thing as a "MA-Illegal gun." See above.

If properly transported, you are covered by FOPA, which supersedes MA law.

-Can i even CROSS the MA border with a high capacity magazine? If i need to drive through MA to every single range I shoot at, how can i legally transport my non-MA legal mags and guns?

Repetitive. See above.

-Does everything I do need to be as if i live in MA when carrying with my non-res permit? IE, do i need to use MA-compliant guns even if i limit my magazines to 10 rounders or less?

Even more repetitive. SEE ABOVE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiktok,
Post-ban, high-cap mags are never allowed in MA and are a felony. Even for the range trips. Keep them in NH.

This is what Sriv meant by:
POST-ban mags are illegal in MA. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry that you had to deal with the abuse!

The answers above aren't totally correct, so I'll give it a whirl to see if I can help you.

FOPA trumps state law, HOWEVER it never allows you to CCW, only transport. FOPA allows you to transverse MA on your way from NH to NH as long as you have a NH Permit AND you lock the gun in a case, ammo separate (and both locked in the trunk) while transversing MA. This is the way that the hi-cap mag ban would NOT affect you.

Now IANAL, so I am NOT sure if this would fly legally or not . . . hopefully RKG will share his legal wisdom here.

PERHAPS putting the hi-cap mags locked up in the trunk while transversing MA, even if you are CCW'g (with low-cap mags) at the time MIGHT fall within FOPA . . . so this would allow you to transport your hi-cap mags to your range in NH via MA?? AGAIN, I AM NOT SURE OF THIS, so seek legal advice on it before trying this out.

Since NO handguns are banned in MA, and the EOPS List and any other "list" does NOT affect non-residents, you do not have to worry about that at all . . . just the mags are an issue.

I hope this helps . . . and I hope we get a legal opinion on my proposition above. [wink]

FOPA trumps state law, HOWEVER it never allows you to CCW, only transport. FOPA allows you to transverse MA on your way from NH to NH as long as you have a NH Permit AND you lock the gun in a case, ammo separate (and both locked in the trunk) while transversing MA. This is the way that the hi-cap mag ban would NOT affect you.
FOPA requires that you be legally in possession at the origin and destination of your journey - it does not require CCW status at either end of the trip. Since NH does not require a permit for possession or transport, it would be logical to conclude that "as long as you have a NH permit" is not a necessary requirement for coverage. Since MA does not allow possession without a permit, one would need a MA permit to be covered by FOPA86 is one endpoint was in this state.

Wow I appreciate the responses!

It all makes sense now...if im going to ccw with a nonres MA permit, ill stick to 10 rounders...its a compact and only a 2 round difference anyways. Ill keep the highcaps for home and NH shoots where I can transport them legally or do so properly. Good to know I can buy whatever handgun I want and carry in MA so long as my mags are compliant...perhaps S&W will honor the two free mags deal on my M&Pc and I can request 10 rounders.

Again thanks for the advice and no worries about the earlier abuse...justice served :)

Either a locked case or the trunk, but not both are required. Also unloaded is required, but not guns and ammo separate. Whether FOPA would cover magazines seems an open question. Here's the actual text:
Title 18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom