[MA] Need Help Asking About Validity of Firearm Safety Cert and Appropriately So

Hey guys,

To gain yet another hobby and protect myself and my family from potential danger, I've been interested in applying for a LTC. I have already obtained a firearm safety certificate from an authorized safety instructor. However:

- Due to some unsure/unexpected plans during the last few months, I have not yet been able to use the certificate to apply for a license. I obtained it in December and unsure if it's still valid as of now in April. I have practiced live fire using a pistol and revolver within the last four months.

- I have a speech impediment, which makes me worried that I could possibly make a bad first impression with my local police department via telephone by it being misinterpreted as suspicious.

With the above said, I reside in Arlington, MA and realize that its police chief is pro-Second Amendment, which is already a step in the right direction. I want to ask whether or not the certificate is still considered valid and request a list of additional items my police department might require, such as a letter explaining my reasoning for an LTC, but again, I'm afraid of being rejected due to my speech impediment.

Is sending an email or signed letter to the police chief of Arlington a right alternative to asking such questions, or is calling in a necessity? Also, is there a particular way I should communicate, given the recipient in question?

Thank you in advance, guys.

Last edited:
There's nothing in the law that states a BFS certificate expires. Some chiefs do make their own rules and say it does but that probably won't be the case in your town. Did you check the PD website to see if they have instructions to apply? E mail is generally fine though afaik.

Last edited:
As CCW said, neither the law nor CMR identify a point at which a BFS certificate becomes invalid- though there are some local issuing authorities that do exercise discretion.

Dude,

Here's a link to the PD's rules and requirements:

http://www.arlingtonma.gov/home/showdocument?id=19643

Seems pretty straightforward. I'd not stress it. just follow the instructions.

WRT the speech impediment, let them know up front, I can't imagine that it would be an issue.

Oh, and don't "volunteer" any info about your practice, etc., as it's not required.

Good luck.

AFAIK, Arlington is reasonable.

I don't think even the Brookline chief would ding you for a speech impediment. You'll be fine!

Fellow Arlington resident here. I just got my LTC earlier this year.

The process is very straightforward here and I don't think you'll have anything to worry about (assuming you pass the background checks). I can't imagine the speech impediment or the 4 month old cert would be a problem at all.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Fellow Arlington resident here. I just got my LTC earlier this year.

The process is very straightforward here and I don't think you'll have anything to worry about (assuming you pass the background checks). I can't imagine the speech impediment or the 4 month old cert would be a problem at all.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Thank you! Two other people revealed the process of obtaining a LTC in Arlington from the town's site and I feel so stupid, now. I had trouble finding this information online, hence the question regarding requirements.

But, in any case, how long did it take you to obtain the license?

Last edited:
Thank you, modernhamlet! Two other people revealed the process of obtaining a LTC in Arlington from the town's site and I feel so stupid, now haha. I had trouble finding this information online, hence the question regarding requirements.

Just under 2 months:

11/24: Submitted Application, interview scheduled on the spot!
12/3: Interviewed, Fingerprinted, etc.
1/19: Approved

As you can see, the Arlington part of that was very fast.

My town said the certificate expires after 1 year, i'm sure you'll be fine. Our 'interview' consisted of fingerprinting, no actual questions, you'll be fine.

Thank you! Two other people revealed the process of obtaining a LTC in Arlington from the town's site and I feel so stupid, now. I had trouble finding this information online, hence the question regarding requirements.

Well, you were able to find NES, which ultimately got you your answer. There are many knowledgeable people on this site, so you came to the right place!

Welcome and good luck in the application process!! But beware, getting an LTC has a tendency to shrink bank accounts [smile]

Just under 2 months:

11/24: Submitted Application, interview scheduled on the spot!
12/3: Interviewed, Fingerprinted, etc.
1/19: Approved

As you can see, the Arlington part of that was very fast.

Oh, wow. In that case, gentlemen, I'm about to begin filling out the town's application TONIGHT. Wish me luck! I could have had the LTC by now. Better late than never, I suppose.

Some of us have something in common with other NESers. [smile]

Don't worry about the speech impediment, dude. I've had one that comes out less now than when I was younger. Welcome to NES, go green and buy a Glock when you get your license.

If your impediment is serious, bring an interpreter with you to the appointment to explain the situation, and who can offer to assist if there is any communication difficulty. You will not only have a helper, but will have a witness if you are turned down and need to bring an ADA case.

The task is to quickly convince the licensing officer that the speech issue is a single-point medical issue, and not indicative of any mental defect.

I just applied and was approved for my LTC 2 months ago. My Hunters Safety Course certificate was from 1997. So just short of 20 years old. The officer did do a double take but after he found out I was in the Marine Corps he was fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom