• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Muzzleloader Deer

whacko said
2. Optics.....you learn pretty quick on cold days (muzzle loader season is in the dead of winter) that your breath will fog that glass on a red dot or scope.

Here's a good tip. Ivory soap. Rub a bar onto the exterior optics and then clean it off with a nice clean cloth. This will keep your glass clear until it gets wet. Try this on your bathroom mirror before you take your next shower and it will work just fine. I do this twice a day in the field.

whacko said

Here's a good tip. Ivory soap. Rub a bar onto the exterior optics and then clean it off with a nice clean cloth. This will keep your glass clear until it gets wet. Try this on your bathroom mirror before you take your next shower and it will work just fine. I do this twice a day in the field.
Damn I will give that a try!

Enjoy whacko. Years ago at the Topsfield Fair on a cool day there was a guy set up with a hot plate and some boiling water. He had these red sticks about 1/2" in diameter and 3-4" long. He asked for people's eyeglasses and waved them over the boiling water, instantly fogging them up. He'd wipe them off and apply the red stick and then clean off the excess and repeat over the pot of water. NO FOGGED lens! He was selling these for 5 bucks. I bought one since I use eyeglasses year round and some other things that fog up. I cut off a piece of the stick and gave it to a pal that ran a chem lab. 3 days later he gave me a copy of the report. "Ivory Soap and red food coloring."

I've been doing this for 25 years. Nice in the field when you wear prescription glasses on cold days. Make sure the glass/plastic is clean and dry before applying.

Need recommendations for muzzle loader. It will be my next purchase. Thanks

I have a stainless CVA optima break open. Breaks open nice and wide like a single barrel shotgun and has the breech plug you can pull out with your hand, no tools. Super quick to clean. Bought at WM in Rindge NH for around 200 dollars. They will have them on sale after the summer as NH muzzle season is in late october. Great gun, super accurate. Mine has a Nikon on it, easily a 150 yard gun.

TC Impact is the way to go. I shoot a single ragged hole out to 100 with 100gr of white-hot and a 250gr projectile. It's accurate past that, but I don't have the need or place to shoot it that far.

Last edited:
Ivory soap makes a pretty good catfish bait as well. I use to use it in the catfish derbies many moons ago.

Bob

GTFO.....you mean we've been using nasty smelling shxt all these years and soap works? WTF!!!

When I'm in South Carolina I use frozen Gizzard shad chunks...seem to work well. Never knew about soap tho! Gonna try it!

Back
Top Bottom