• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA LTC Renewal

Applied directly to Town of Yarmouth Police for my once again LTC renewal, months in advance. 2 weeks before my expiration tried to call Boston to check status........2 weeks of message saying "mailbox is full". Finally just got a very nice person who confirms I have been "approved", but with the "significant number of LTC applications we only have one person issuing cards". So I confirm since I am apprioved I can just carry my LTC and firearm as police will now when they check? She states that is correct but "you will need proof of aplication approval". So I ask her to email application for renewal approval and she states "we dont do that". So I ask how then am I supposed to prove application was approved but card not issued due to one person issueiing cards for our entire state? She advised I speak with my local PD and asked if there was anything else she could do to help me. Its the same story and drama every renewal......................still waiting.............

Applied directly to Town of Yarmouth Police for my once again LTC renewal, months in advance. 2 weeks before my expiration tried to call Boston to check status........2 weeks of message saying "mailbox is full". Finally just got a very nice person who confirms I have been "approved", but with the "significant number of LTC applications we only have one person issuing cards". So I confirm since I am apprioved I can just carry my LTC and firearm as police will now when they check? She states that is correct but "you will need proof of aplication approval". So I ask her to email application for renewal approval and she states "we dont do that". So I ask how then am I supposed to prove application was approved but card not issued due to one person issueiing cards for our entire state? She advised I speak with my local PD and asked if there was anything else she could do to help me. Its the same story and drama every renewal......................still waiting.............
Call the Yarmouth PD and ask for a copy of the DCJIS receipt that was generated when they submitted your application to the state. That receipt plus your current license is all you need while waiting for the new one, although many shops will refuse to sell stuff to you out of an "abundance of caution".

Call the Yarmouth PD and ask for a copy of the DCJIS receipt that was generated when they submitted your application to the state. That receipt plus your current license is all you need while waiting for the new one, although many shops will refuse to sell stuff to you out of an "abundance of caution".
this assumes they didn't give it to OP when he went in for the renewal...

5-6 months is the current (renewal) wait time... just went through it. During that time I was asked for my LTC once and I showed a photo of the receipt on my phone- was good enough. Your mileage obviously may vary in our great state.

Good luck

Taunton gives you the receipt and informs you that you need to keep your current LTC and the receipt with you if your new LTC doesn't arrive before your expiration.

That said, if your LTC is approved just not delivered then you have a valid LTC 'in fact' therefore can legally carry. However any a**h*** officer can take you for a five figure ride.

Why would you call Boston if you are in Yarmouth?

Drive over to your local PD and speak with the Licensing officer. Ask for your receipt.

5-6 months is the current (renewal) wait time... just went through it. During that time I was asked for my LTC once and I showed a photo of the receipt on my phone- was good enough. Your mileage obviously may vary in our great state.

Good luck

I just renewed mine, took a month, 5 weeks tops from appointment to having new one in hand. An officer delivered it to my house Sunday evening.

TY, great advice and learned something new today

this assumes they didn't give it to OP when he went in for the renewal...
I never got a receipt from Haverhill last year when I renewed mine. Just my cashed check and a phone call from Detective Benedetti about a month later, telling me to meet him at the police station to pick it up and sign an affidifit about lost and stolen firearms.

Taunton gives you the receipt and informs you that you need to keep your current LTC and the receipt with you if your new LTC doesn't arrive before your expiration.

That said, if your LTC is approved just not delivered then you have a valid LTC 'in fact' therefore can legally carry. However any a**h*** officer can take you for a five figure ride.
Taunton is pretty good. The Mrs and I probably waited three weeks at the most for our licenses. Different renewal periods, but the same results.

i;m going on 6 months for my renewal but i have my receipt,i;m moving out of this state good luck

I'll add that any FFL that refuses to serve you with the mircs receipt should be given the black cross for life.... because that basically is a too stupid to live level of retardation as a dealer. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom