MA Gun Grab 2024: Senate bill S.2572

So they are essentially local purchase tokens that cost a business 1.5% to convert back to currency.

When using them you are purchasing an item that participating businesses have agreed to exchange at a predetermined rate for other goods - they are not currency.

The question is if you would be charged for printing your own
I’m pretty sure in the US you can make your own paper currency but you cannot mint your own coins.

I’m just wondering who’s face would be on the NES 100

So they are essentially local purchase tokens that cost a business 1.5% to convert back to currency.

When using them you are purchasing an item that participating businesses have agreed to exchange at a predetermined rate for other goods - they are not currency.

The question is if you would be charged for printing your own
explain to me how this is any different than any other currency, other than they are not gov backed

US dollar.
A piece of paper that is used as a token of exchange and who's only worth is based on a common agreement that it is worth something.

BerShare.
A piece of paper that is used as a token of exchange and who's only worth is based on a common agreement that it is worth something.

explain to me how this is any different than any other currency, other than they are not gov backed

US dollar.

BerShare.

It's not any different, as long as you find someone willing to accept it as money. Try paying your federal tax bill in BerkShares, though, and watch the fun when the IRS gets the envelope.

I guess, in terms of your post, the "difference" is the number of people in "common agreement." Anyone can live in Bartertown; that's not how states pay for enforcement of laws, however.

It's not any different, as long as you find someone willing to accept it as money. Try paying your federal tax bill in BerkShares, though, and watch the fun when the IRS gets the envelope.

I guess, in terms of your post, the "difference" is the number of people in "common agreement." Anyone can live in Bartertown; that's not how states pay for enforcement of laws, however.
It's certainly not US currency, but try paying you US tax bill with Canadian dollars or Russian rubles. But they are certainly currency. All currency is subject to the number of those that agree to it's worth, even those that are "backed" by gold. It's an agreement that the peice of paper will be exchanged for gold if desired. But that backing can be taken away in an instant by the issuing party, so it's still a matter of faith.

US dollar.

BerShare.
US Dollar - legal tender those in public accommodations are required to accept.
Private currency - same thing but people have the choice to accept or reject.

Tyranny is not supposed to make sense only induce fear

US Dollar - legal tender those in public accommodations are required to accept.
Private currency - same thing but people have the choice to accept or reject.

Tyranny is not supposed to make sense only induce fear
You use the word currency to argue that it is not currency...........................

Certainly not US currency, but currency nonetheless.

It's certainly not US currency, but try paying you US tax bill with Canadian dollars or Russian rubles. But they are certainly currency. All currency is subject to the number of those that agree to it's worth, even those that are "backed" by gold. It's an agreement that the peice of paper will be exchanged for gold if desired. But that backing can be taken away in an instant by the issuing party, so it's still a matter of faith.

This isn't really false, but the other significant difference (in this country) is that the Constitution specifically gives Congress the responsibility for establishing and regulating US currency. So, in a legal sense, "what is money?" is a question Congress can answer however it wants.

ONLY Congress, though.

You use the word currency to argue that it is not currency...........................

Certainly not US currency, but currency nonetheless.
I used that word since that is the how it is perceived in common use.
We incorrectly conflate legal tender, currency and money (not all money is currency and not all currency is legal tender)

So while the term currency can be applied to both, in it's colloquial meaning only the US dollar, being legal tender, is a general currency and the private notes are akin to coupons given their limited acceptance.

We incorrectly conflate legal tender, currency and money (not all money is currency and not all currency is legal tender)

So while the term currency can be applied to both, in it's colloquial meaning only the US dollar, being legal tender, is a general currency and the private notes are akin to coupons given their limited acceptance.
The definition you posted backs my position, so I'm done here.

Isn't that more than 50% of Mass.?
Of registered mass voters 30 something percent are democrat, 8 are republicans and like .01 are libertarian. No amount of voter turn out will ever solve this problem and most people aren’t interested in local elections in the first place despite local elections being the ones most likely to affect their lives directly.

Yes the fed can f*** things up when it comes to big issues but they aren’t going to condemn my house for not mowing the lawn because some Karen was given too much authority, or re-zone a map to eliminate shooting ranges

The definition you posted backs my position, so I'm done here.
So you don't understand that colloquial definition, official definitions and legal definitions can be wildly different and that most people use the colloquial definition as default unless they clearly indicate differently (or the conversation is a formal or legal discussion)

Wasn't there a thread somewhere on NES about the 2023/2024 gun grab bill? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Nothing's happening on that bill, and this is the internet.

So naturally, other conversations will arise. This thread is usually dormant until someone comes in and asks whether something's up, then we chat about money policy or water polo or kittens for awhile, then someone whines that we're off topic, then the thread goes dormant again. Rinse and repeat.

Seriously, it's NES. It's always worked that way. Once anything on-topic happens, it'll get posted and then we're off and running again.

Nothing yet, but the holiday weekends are approaching. Middle of the night passage when no one is paying attention could be soon.

Memorial day weekend would be a great chance to bury it when no one is looking

You're right.

But they could have done the same thing over Easter weekend. Or Valentine's Day. Or Eid, or Evacuation Day (St Patricks!), or any other day in the past, present, or future. And yet they haven't.

Maybe someday they will. But the NES Confident Predictions Crew has been doomsaying for months now; according to them, this bill passed last year, when it had a different bill number. Around the time Taiwan fell to China and Russia invaded Poland.

It's a bridge I'll burn when it happens. But trying to predict this crap is just a fool's errand. I'd rather talk about toll tokens sometimes, lol. Until then, those who wish to shit their pants can do so; the rest of us are tired of being teased.

I’m pretty sure in the US you can make your own paper currency but you cannot mint your own coins.

I’m just wondering who’s face would be on the NES 100
well... Derek would have to be on the singles so we can stuff his face in the garters of NES strippers.....

i nominate Jack for the NES $100
we'll put Reptile on the $3, seems fitting, lol....
Len-2A on the $2A

ooo! oooo! i get to use the economics degree y'all (MA Residents) paid for!!

Money is a commodity accepted by general consent as a medium of economic exchange. It is the medium in which prices and values are expressed. It circulates from person to person and country to country, facilitating trade, and it is the principal measure of wealth.

pieces of paper can be money, metals can be money, dried grains can be money.

Currency is a medium of exchange for goods and services. In short, it's money, in the form of paper and coins, usually issued by a government and generally accepted at its face value as a method of payment.

Legal tender is any form of payment recognized by a government, used to pay debts or financial obligations, such as tax payments.

ooo! oooo! i get to use the economics degree y'all (MA Residents) paid for!!

Money is a commodity accepted by general consent as a medium of economic exchange. It is the medium in which prices and values are expressed. It circulates from person to person and country to country, facilitating trade, and it is the principal measure of wealth.

pieces of paper can be money, metals can be money, dried grains can be money.

Currency is a medium of exchange for goods and services. In short, it's money, in the form of paper and coins, usually issued by a government and generally accepted at its face value as a method of payment.

Legal tender is any form of payment recognized by a government, used to pay debts or financial obligations, such as tax payments.
Too many big words. Can I use it to buy a 40oz Colt 45? Then it's Money :)

I think it's a problem in that people who might want to follow the thread to see what is happening will lose interest due to the sideshow.

It's not unusual on the Internet, but it's still a problem. On another forum I spend too much time on someone new will post a question about a problem that they are having. After about 12 posts some of the regulars will drift so far off topic that the original poster never shows up again.

Driving people away, especially pro 2A people in MA, is not helping.

Nothing's happening on that bill, and this is the internet.

So naturally, other conversations will arise. This thread is usually dormant until someone comes in and asks whether something's up, then we chat about money policy or water polo or kittens for awhile, then someone whines that we're off topic, then the thread goes dormant again. Rinse and repeat.

Seriously, it's NES. It's always worked that way. Once anything on-topic happens, it'll get posted and then we're off and running again.

I think it's a problem in that people who might want to follow the thread to see what is happening will lose interest due to the sideshow.

It's not unusual on the Internet, but it's still a problem. On another forum I spend too much time on someone new will post a question about a problem that they are having. After about 12 posts some of the regulars will drift so far off topic that the original poster never shows up again.

Driving people away, especially pro 2A people in MA, is not helping.

I don't think so.

Look at what's happening here. The moment @Coyote33 asks a question, this thread SPRINGS back to life for a few days.

Don't worry. Anyone posting here is invested, and will come back to see what's going on. But remember: this site is a fraction of gun owners. A smaller fraction is watching this thread, an even smaller fraction commenting regularly. If we "drive anyone away" with coinage talk? We're talking about an infinitesimally small number of people.

I don't think so.

Look at what's happening here. The moment @Coyote33 asks a question, this thread SPRINGS back to life for a few days.

Don't worry. Anyone posting here is invested, and will come back to see what's going on. But remember: this site is a fraction of gun owners. A smaller fraction is watching this thread, an even smaller fraction commenting regularly. If we "drive anyone away" with coinage talk? We're talking about an infinitesimally small number of people.
turtles all the way down

Back
Top Bottom