• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA FFL rant

North Shore Firearms and B&K (in Natick) both have links to their distributor on their websites. You select the gun, if it's in stock, it gets shipped and you go pick it up at the store. You still need to make sure the gun store considers it "MA approved".

you sure you don’t mean northeast arms? 🤔

NH FFL'S don't have to worry about State Produced Compliant Lists and Bans.

No MA FFL wants a shipped in gun ( for transfer) that can't be transferred to the buyer that bought it. FFL's don't like running to Fed Ex. to ship "Your" Non Compliant Gun back to the seller or another FFL out of state. Dealers like selling Guns ....not acting as a Personal Shopper , Errand Boy or Concierge for the "Transfer Guy".

Makes sense but even in NH some FFLs dislike transfers, even if its stuff they don't stock or know anything about.

I gotta assume you can just call for a pickup on those guns you can't transfer too, billed to the customer who made the error of course.

The FFL landscape is changing quite a bit, I suspect many are like me and have full time jobs so we can't always answer/return a call during the day.

Also I personally don't like phone calls as they do not create a documented line of communication - say you call and ask me to order a VP9 in that cool new gray camo color they're offering. I order, you show up and ask where the green camo VP9 you ordered is. Now I'm stuck with a gray camo VP9 that no one wants cause gray camo is gay, and you think I'm an a**h***. All for a $25 transfer fee which often can be way more trouble than it's worth(no customer contact info, shipper didn't include an FFL, f*cking packing peanuts).

I do get why you're upset, but don't give up as they're might be other distros/retailers who have what you're looking for.

I get FFL frustrations. I would never want to try and run an FFL business. First off, unlike Archery Equipment, most guns have very little profit margin unless you buy a shitload, or get a distributor sale. Large online distributors sell for very little profit and make their margins on volume. They are tough to beat for any small mom and pop.

There are basically 2 options......extremely low overhead, carry nothing in stock and do a lot of transfers and maybe some gunsmithing and make a few bucks. Odds are you won't quit your day job.

Or....Buy large lots of popular guns and sell them for cheap....but you have to do online sales because local sales won't support your high inventory margins. Unless your in a high volume area like FS Guns is. If your in Central and Western MA, there aren't enough buyers, and they are further diluted by online buyers every year. Guys out by me used to go to FS, now they buy online and just transfer, for usually less money, and certainly less gas, time and bullshit than going to FS. Over 20 years I can't even count the amount of gun only stores that have gone belly up in my area of Central Ma, another one just did the other day.

Guys in my area that have legacy businesses, like Bobs Gun and Archery and R&R in Belchertown, don't just sell guns, what keeps them going is they get propped up with bait sales,fishing equipment, and Archery equipment. Even then with ASS pro, Dickheads, and Cabelas...its a tough environment.

Last edited:
North Shore Firearms and B&K (in Natick) both have links to their distributor on their websites. You select the gun, if it's in stock, it gets shipped and you go pick it up at the store. You still need to make sure the gun store considers it "MA approved".
Northeast Arms in Peabody has a link to their distributor not North Shore Firearms. BIG difference between these 2 shops. Hint: no need to go to north shore firearms.

Transfers are not a money maker. $25 for the work/hastle involved is essentially not worth it. Transfers are something you do for established customers that generally buy product from you and occasionally ask for transfers on something you can not get for them. Someone new contacts me for a transfer and the odds are I am not interested.
With all due respect, I’d like to give you an alternate view of this. I do try to buy things from LGS’s even if it costs more. But for me, my relationship with the owner likely isn’t going to start with a large purchase. I’m more likely to buy a part, some ammo, or perhaps do a transfer. If those go well and I’m treated fairly and with respect, then when I’m ready to buy a gun, I’d be happy to buy it at that store. But if a LGS refuses to do a transfer (which they advertise) or rolls their eyes, or (which is most likely to occur) barely gives me the time of day while shooting the shit with the same guys who hang out there all day without buying anything, then I’ll happily take my business elsewhere. Or better yet, I’m fine with going to a big box store where I’m more likely to spend less anyway. I’d rather give the money to a LGS even if it means spending more, but not if I’m not treated fairly.

The whole attitude of “Ill do transfers for the regulars only” is just a crappy way of doing business. I don’t want to be treated differently because I don’t hang out there all weekend. I’m the type of person that doesn’t go in regularly because I don’t have time to do much of anything, and if I do I’m going to go shoot at the range than hang out in the store. But I’ll buy a new gun every so often; I’m happy to only buy my guns at one store. But that owner probably isn’t going to remember me for buying a gun once a year.

I don’t know. I know I went on a rant and I’ll probably get flamed for it. I don’t mean it disrespectfully either, you seem like a nice enough guy. I just get frustrated with the “regular” thing. I wish each store gave each person who walked in the same treatment instead of treating the guys they remember better. It’s a bit of a chicken or egg scenario.
You say you’d only do a transfer for a regular customer. I say I’m never going to be a regular customer if you don’t treat me as one to begin with.

I just really want to know what gun it is at this point.

HK45C in NATO Green. Common gun in a super rare color. From what I gather, only a small batch (less than 50) were imported from Germany.

The FFL landscape is changing quite a bit, I suspect many are like me and have full time jobs so we can't always answer/return a call during the day.

Also I personally don't like phone calls as they do not create a documented line of communication - say you call and ask me to order a VP9 in that cool new gray camo color they're offering. I order, you show up and ask where the green camo VP9 you ordered is. Now I'm stuck with a gray camo VP9 that no one wants cause gray camo is gay, and you think I'm an a**h***. All for a $25 transfer fee which often can be way more trouble than it's worth(no customer contact info, shipper didn't include an FFL, f*cking packing peanuts).

I do get why you're upset, but don't give up as they're might be other distros/retailers who have what you're looking for.

I get why that would be a pain in the ass dealing with customer nonsense, I deal with a lot of dumb customers too. I just wish I could have gotten someone to talk to. I would have gladly paid way more than $25 for the transfer. I would have sent any text or email required for a chain of documentation. This particular gun was available in a tiny batch straight from Germany, so I’m not sure that it can be had elsewhere, but I’d certainly be open to it. That being said, I realize I’m the most at fault for not just buying the thing and sussing out the FFL on the back end, I had always done that as a courtesy.

CK30,
I have sympathy for Your Frustration with the MASS. Compliant BS. I have no sympathy for your misdirected rant against the FFL's that you tried to do a transfer with? The small and large FFL is not getting rich on your $25 transfers. Some of those FFL's have no connection with you as a customer? Some are Small and have Real jobs? Some are large and simply don't want the hassle of your transaction? Come On Really..., Did You really expect an FFL Business owner of any kind to "40 Stroke" You for the hope of handling Your $25 Transfer? You do all the research and You expect the FFL to applaud You ...for Your efforts in the Hope that Some Unknown / New FFL will do What You Want.

Note to self....."Hope is not a Plan"

Not really trying to Flame You, But Really?

If You Love anything related to Firearms? The answer is....... move to another State, as Noted.

First of all, I never said I’d be paying $25 for a transfer. I’d be more than willing to pay extra for someone’s time and effort. I wasn’t trying to skinflint a cheap price on a gun that could been had elsewhere, I was looking for a transfer (that I would have paid whatever premium was necessary) on a gun that came in a very small batch. My real gripe is that no one even answered the phone or returned my call to know what I was looking for in the first place. If you consider answering the phone to see what type of transaction a customer is looking to do is a ‘40 Stroke’ then I don’t know what to tell you.

I don't know about MA but in NH there are FFLs who welcome transfers and basically just tell you to ship guns at will and some that make it an exceptional thing requiring pre-approval (generally at a higher cost, ie $40 for a freakin stripped lower even).

I do not do business with any FFL who treats transfers as a special request.
BINGO! The same whiners that are too good to do a $25 transfer, (oh, the horror...5 minutes of their time and a potential customer browsing the store for 20 minutes waiting for approval) cry about losing business to Big Box stores "that don't have that personal touch". A lot of NH FFLs are already set up on some of the big online dealer"s FFL databases, so you don't even have to contact them till the item arrives at their store.

For reference -a typical transfer takes up about 30 minutes of total time for me. Receive package, open package, dispose of packing materials/cardboard, open/inspect gun, log gun in to bound book, contact customer, put gun in safe and store box, get gun out for customer arrival, greet customer and let them inspect gun, do the transfer paperwork/background check, log gun out of bound book.

Some take more time, some take less.

BINGO! The same whiners that are too good to do a $25 transfer, (oh, the horror...5 minutes of their time and a potential customer browsing the store for 20 minutes waiting for approval) cry about losing business to Big Box stores "that don't have that personal touch". A lot of NH FFLs are already set up on some of the big online dealer"s FFL databases, so you don't even have to contact them till the item arrives at their store.

For reference -a typical transfer takes up about 30 minutes of total time for me. Receive package, open package, dispose of packing materials/cardboard, open/inspect gun, log gun in to bound book, contact customer, put gun in safe and store box, get gun out for customer arrival, greet customer and let them inspect gun, do the transfer paperwork/background check, log gun out of bound book.

And you can also get a "delay". Customer leaves and 2 hrs later they call you with a "proceed". You have the customer come back the next day and will have to do a re cert because a day has gone by. So now the transfer has taken twice as long. I've always felt that a transfer should be priced based on the time spent. Jack.

Agreed. I am a NTGS ( non traditional gun store) having a day job and doing sales by appointment.

You left off dealing with the seller/shipper. Sometimes I’m in their database. Sometimes it’s just an email with my ffl. Sometimes it takes stupid time to deal with the private party or small gun store. They are confused about MA and accuse me of trying to entrap them with a MA gun shipment. Yes, this happened this week. It took me over an hour across multiple interactions with the seller to get them to ship. All for a regular customer. $25 is a joke in these cases.

Then there is the shipping companies. My regular drivers are great (ups, FedEx express, FedEx ground, FedEx home). When I get a sub sometimes it works out and sometimes I have to call dispatch and ask why they failed to deliver while I was sitting there. Lazy drivers. Or it’s USPS and I have to make a trip to the PO to pickup (no Usps package delivery). Or it’s damaged. Or lots of other variables. And yes FedEx is three different drivers and effectively three separate companies.

There is no browsing. Nothing is on display. Sales and transfers are transactional combined with the normal gabbing about state and federal gun politics, what they have been shooting, etc. Maybe pulling some stuff out of one of the safes in reaction to “what do you have new” or “have any SAO sigs?” I dont stock accessories or ammo. I have regulars and referrals from regulars. A few new customers from the limited advertising I choose to do. I did 100 times more advertising when I started to build up a customer base. Time is a limited resource. I am not going to hire someone if I get too busy so it’s about quality of customer not quantity.

That may be the root of this. I prefer quality of customers to the quantity of customers. I am not about a large number of low margin no interaction transactions. I sometimes talk to a customer for an hour. When I get something new/cool it is gone in under 5 minutes 50% of the time. I text my regulars with what is arriving. I usually don’t have to send more than 2 texts. I know who likes what.

So while customers are good for business, good customers are better for business. Maybe a transfer will turn into a good customer. I am in a lot of data bases. The sig store in NH actively pushes people to me for transfers because of the feedback they get from people. I have multiple other out of state entities that actively refer because of customer feedback. Those are “good” transfers. Transfers from grabagun, buds, etc are unlikely to result in a long term quality customer. They might be a great person and interesting to talk to but odds are

But the transfer itself is a money loser. A traditional gun store where an employee is sitting playing angry birds, the transfer can be a good thing. Not for me

shooting the shit with the same guys who hang out there all day without buying anything,

the biggest annoyance EVER. Can't tell you how many times I've gone into a LGS and a regular or two are chatting it up with the employee/owner blocking the case as I'm trying to look.. We all know that most of these stores are pretty small to begin with, and the owner's trying to get as much product in there as possible.

This ain't a coffee shop. Make some friends and chat at Dunkins.. or join a club and go chat guns there. I don't care how much money you spend there, let the guys run their business and get the hell out of the way.

Like I mentioned earlier....... What is the UPC number or SKU number of the gun you're attempting to purchase?? Gun Manufacturers don't wanna put up with Maura Healey's BS and thus, they don't send their X number of guns to be destroyed by her "Office of Compliance" when indeed the guns are already meeting Federal standards.... Might be the Mag capacity of the gun, trigger pull, or just the COLOR of the gun as you've mentioned earlier ...
I think you've gotta do some research on this.....
If you expect a FFL to risk his/her State and Federal License because you want a Non Compliant gun ( The color of the gun may matter here) Then I would say, buy the compliant gun, have the frame Re-Finished in the desired color you wish.... The Serial Number of your State Registered gun ( Mass has their Gun Registry) will show it's a Compliant gun.....The color of it, after you've taken possession of it, is you're business....
BTW, I did a quick search and found a VP-9 in Grey (notice the color) it has a specific UPC and SKU.... This is what the Powers-that-be in Mass use to "Approve" their Roster guns... a similar VP-9 in Black will have a Different UPC/SKU and thus a different gun to be "Approved and Rostered"

Last edited:
Like I mentioned earlier....... What is the UPC number or SKU number of the gun you're attempting to purchase?? Gun Manufacturers don't wanna put up with Maura Healey's BS and thus, they don't send their X number of guns to be destroyed by her "Office of Compliance" when indeed the guns are already meeting Federal standards.... Might be the Mag capacity of the gun, trigger pull, or just the COLOR of the gun as you've mentioned earlier ...
I think you've gotta do some research on this.....
If you expect a FFL to risk his/her State and Federal License because you want a Non Compliant gun ( The color of the gun may matter here) Then I would say, buy the compliant gun, have the frame Re-Finished in the desired color you wish.... The Serial Number of your State Registered gun ( Mass has their Gun Registry) will show it's a Compliant gun.....The color of it, after you've taken possession of it, is you're business....
Its an HK and its on the list. Which gun is not important. HK are almost all on the list generically. USP, VP9, HK45, etc. It is one of the ones listed generically. There was no risk as the gun is on the list.

The problem that some dim FFLs have is that they rely on what the manufacturer says. The manufacturer will tag some guns as MA compliant not others. They tag the black version MA compliant and not the green and some FFLs wont sell/transfer. The fact is it is the responsibility of the DEALER not the manufacturer to determine if the gun is compliant. It is on the list, it is compliant regardless of what the manufacturer says on their website. Similarly just because the manufacturer says it is compliant, if it is not on the list, you are screwed (the dealer) not the manufacturer.

This was a case of stupid FFLs or them using it as an excuse to not do any transfer at all. Still stupid FFLs.

Its an HK and its on the list. Which gun is not important. HK are almost all on the list generically. USP, VP9, HK45, etc. It is one of the ones listed generically. There was no risk as the gun is on the list.

The problem that some dim FFLs have is that they rely on what the manufacturer says. The manufacturer will tag some guns as MA compliant not others. They tag the black version MA compliant and not the green and some FFLs wont sell/transfer. The fact is it is the responsibility of the DEALER not the manufacturer to determine if the gun is compliant. It is on the list, it is compliant regardless of what the manufacturer says on their website. Similarly just because the manufacturer says it is compliant, if it is not on the list, you are screwed (the dealer) not the manufacturer.

This was a case of stupid FFLs or them using it as an excuse to not do any transfer at all. Still stupid FFLs.
No, It has a specific SKU and UPC code........ Unfortunately, THIS is what the STATE goes by, and YES, it's the burden of the FFL to either decide to sell the gun or pass on the sale... NO "stupid FFLs' If all HKs are listed the same, then why the different models?? USP VP series P-7 series etc...FFLs are just people, who wish to keep their License and do more business....
BTW, I'm a former Mass FFL that moved to NH before all the Roster BS started..
If the OP wants a Mass Approved H&K, I would suggest going to Davidson's website, Grab-a-gun, and others like them, and do some research on what is approved in Massachusetts.....
Ultimately, the Burden of the Law is placed on the DEALER to make sure it's compliant.... The BUYER should also know too, and not assume that everything out there is Compliant...

Last edited:
I just want to put on the record. If an FFL chooses not to do a transfer for me or anyone else, that’s their business decision and I’m 100% behind that. Run your business the way you see fit. I also get that all transfers aren’t created the same and some should require an extra cost/fee whether that’s from a delay taking up your time, a quick turnaround, going out of your way or schedule or any other unforeseen circumstance. My frustration lies in the fact that many didn’t even bother answering the phone or returning a call to find out what type of business I was looking to conduct. The same thing goes for not transferring it because of the color, annoying for sure, but at least they answered the phone and listened to what type of transaction I was trying to do. The intent of the rant was not to call into question the transfer practices of MA FFL’s, but to express my frustration with MA compliance nonsense and being ignored as a new customer. With all that being said, I realize that at the end of the day, it’s my bad for not just ordering the gun and finding someone on the back end.

No, It has a specific SKU and UPC code........ Unfortunately, THIS is what the STATE goes by, and YES, it's the burden of the FFL to either decide to sell the gun or pass on the sale... NO "stupid FFLs' If all HKs are listed the same, then why the different models?? USP VP series P-7 series etc...FFLs are just people, who wish to keep their License and do more business....
BTW, I'm a former Mass FFL that moved to NH before all the Roster BS started..
They are stupid FFLs. If you choose not to engage because of fear of risks to your business that is one thing. Those people are not stupid albeit risk adverse. Inherently spreading nonsense incorrect information or straight up lies is malicious AND stupid even if not intended as such. If you don't know, say you don't know and you don't feel comfortable.
Also to add to some of the mishaps with the above in reference to USPS I have now had local USPS send a gun back on me because my shipment location (which in this case was not my premise address) because it didn't look like a gun store. That has since been permanently corrected but stupid issues like that just add to what you're dealing with as a non-traditional setup.

BTW, I'm a Former Mass FFL.
Please try and stop being wrong and spreading misinformation. Seriously.

The list does not have UPCs. Ruger for reasons only known to Ruger submits guns at the SKU level. This severely restricts what you can sell. HK does not. SIG mostly does not. ANY P226 is list compatible. Any USP9 is on the list and compatible It may have 940CMR16 issues, but it meets MGL 140 123 requirements so is at most a civil violation for consumer safety.

There does seem to be a trend to start listing at the SKU level by some, but this is not what Is in the law and there are plenty of guns on the list generically

Please try and stop being wrong and spreading misinformation. Seriously.

The list does not have UPCs. Ruger for reasons only known to Ruger submits guns at the SKU level. This severely restricts what you can sell. HK does not. SIG mostly does not. ANY P226 is list compatible. Any USP9 is on the list and compatible It may have 940CMR16 issues, but it meets MGL 140 123 requirements so is at most a civil violation for consumer safety.

There does seem to be a trend to start listing at the SKU level by some, but this is not what Is in the law and there are plenty of guns on the list generically
Just for the Comment of 'Spreading Mis-information" on my part then..with what you said......
WHY does HK have ONE VP-9 with a 10 rnd mag and "Mass approved" trigger VS the other VP-9s out there wit 5 lb triggers and 15 rnd mags and with a different SKU.....What you say then, is all the Distributor or FFL has to do, with that NEW GUN is change the magazine and good to go?? You and I know the AG's Office goes by the Serial Numbers in their Registry, and they have the means to look it up to see if it's compliant (probably will take some effort on their part but they don't mind getting their point across.
I'm not spreading mis-information as you put it......
If you're a FFL, get the gun for the guy, do the transfer and be done with it
With your FFL ( I see you have one) What would you do, if a Customer has a Incoming Transfer to him, and when the gun gets there, you notice it's Non Compliant...

Just for the sake of it and reduce argument ... Let's go with THIS one....... You tell me .....I'll sit here and wait..
UPC: 642230250857

Heckler & Koch HK VP9 LE Grey frame Black slide 9mm pistol 4.1" barrel & NIGHT SIGHTS (3) 15rd mags 700009GYLE-A5 <-- this has a grey frame

Here's the Massachusetts Compliant one.....
UPC 642230250864

Notice the 3 numbers are different........Thus different Guns ( MA Compliant and NON Compliant) Soo... They are "Generic" in Nature, BUT NOT the same.....3 different guns..... ONE meeting the Mass Approved Roster
As for the OP, I see he wanted a HK USP45C in NATO Green (Less than 50 being introduced into the Country)
With this said, I think your hopes of finding one are slim to none, plus the "Roster Gun" may not work either... (even though it's a 10+1 gun it still needs to be a specific UPC number as I mentioned above and be approved by the AGs Office)
As for me, I would buy a Regular USP45C and have it Cerakote.com - Global Leader in Thin-Film Ceramic Coatings | Cerakote to the NATO colors..... I think that's probably your best route to go with... Just my .02......Unless you've got VERY deep pockets for the specific gun (Less than 50 Imported)

Last edited:
Anyway, in the time that you guys have spent arguing this back and forth, I could have done 2 or 3 transfers. LOL. Jack.
You're RIGHT!
But I wouldn't have accepted a Incoming Transfer that wasn't compliant... LOL... and YES, I know it was a PITA to go back and forth about it... I wasn't trying to do that, but the AGs Office is a Whirlwind of BS and confusion.. LOL Intentionally confusing people..
I left Ma in 1990 and took my FFL with me to NH....

Just for the Comment of 'Spreading Mis-information" on my part then..with what you said......
WHY does HK have ONE VP-9 with a 10 rnd mag and "Mass approved" trigger VS the other VP-9s out there wit 5 lb triggers and 15 rnd mags and with a different SKU.....What you say then, is all the Distributor or FFL has to do, with that NEW GUN is change the magazine and good to go?? You and I know the AG's Office goes by the Serial Numbers in their Registry, and they have the means to look it up to see if it's compliant (probably will take some effort on their part but they don't mind getting their point across.
If you're a FFL, get the gun for the guy, do the transfer and be done with it
With your FFL ( I see you have one) What would you do, if a Customer has a Incoming Transfer to him, and when the gun gets there, you notice it's Non Compliant...

Just for the sake of it and reduce argument ... Let's go with THIS one....... You tell me .....I'll sit here and wait..

Heckler & Koch HK VP9 LE Grey frame Black slide 9mm pistol 4.1" barrel & NIGHT SIGHTS (3) 15rd mags 700009GYLE-A5 <-- this has a grey frame

UPC 642230250864

Notice the 3 numbers are different........Thus different Guns ( MA Compliant and NON Compliant) Soo... They are "Generic" in Nature, BUT NOT the same.....3 different guns..... ONE meeting the Mass Approved Roster
As for the OP, I see he wanted a HK USP45C in NATO Green (Less than 50 being introduced into the Country)
With this said, I think your hopes of finding one are slim to none, plus the "Roster Gun" may not work either... (even though it's a 10+1 gun it still needs to be a specific UPC number as I mentioned above and be approved by the AGs Office)
As for me, I would buy a Regular USP45C and have it Cerakote.com - Global Leader in Thin-Film Ceramic Coatings | Cerakote to the NATO colors..... I think that's probably your best route to go with... Just my .02......Unless you've got VERY deep pockets for the specific gun (Less than 50 Imported)
the UPC you are quoting is a generic 10 round magazine VP9 that sellers are advertising as MA compliant because it is 10 round restricted magazine. Massachusetts VP9 have the SAME trigger as regular states. If you look at the distributor level they don't advertise them as MA compliant they are just restricted magazine VP9s.
What Crackpot is referring to with nonspecific models is HK submits the VP9 for testing as just the VP9 hence why despite only having ONE VP9 listed on the list we have green, grey, black, FDE. Hence the green HK45 doesn't matter that it's a special version because it's a HK45 that is on the roster. As opposed to companies like Ruger that submit very specifically made items that are reference numbers for ONE unique product for Massachusetts. IE the different versions. You can see that simply by referencing said list. Prime example for Ruger listing individual UNIQUE items & SKUs is that they have all 3 different models of the Wrangler listed as unique items even though the ONLY difference is cerakote color. When they very easily could have just submitted the Wrangler revolver for testing in and of itself and that would have covered ALL Wrangler .22lr handguns.
Untitled.png VP9.png

After 40 years of dealing with the Mass happy bullshit, I will be moving my 07/SOT to NH and will partner with my FFL son there. Won't do any business there and Little Jack and his sister and their uncle Scott can play with the NFA toys on their 13 acres. Keeping it in the family. I'll stay in Acton and will continue to manage the Mill in Littleton. Jack.

WHY does HK have ONE VP-9 with a 10 rnd mag and "Mass approved" trigger VS the other VP-9s out there wit 5 lb triggers and 15 rnd mags and with a different SKU.....What you say then, is all the Distributor or FFL has to do, with that NEW GUN is change the magazine and good to go?? WRONG......
If you're a FFL, get the gun for the guy, do the transfer and be done with it, or until you're audited by the Mass Dept of Public Safety AGs Office for selling Non-Compliant guns....

Just for the sake of it... Let's go with THIS one....... You tell me .....I'll sit here and wait..

UPC 642230250864

With this said, I think your hopes of finding one are slim to none, plus the "Roster Gun" probably won't work either... (even though it's a 10+1 gun it still needs to be a specific UPC number as I mentioned above)
Buy a Regular USP45C and have it Cerakote.com - Global Leader in Thin-Film Ceramic Coatings | Cerakote to the NATO colors..... I think that's your best route to go with... Just my .02......Unless you've got VERY deep pockets for the specific gun (Less than 50 Imported and you've found a FFL Willing to transfer it to you.)
It is clear you are not a current MA FFL and are not familiar with how things ACTUALLY work. Let me take you apart point by point.

HK as at least 12 different SKUs for the VP9 that I can find at one of my distributors. They are all compliant by definition. They are model VP9 and HK VP9 in 9mm is on the list. Period. Done. To quote the list itself

"This roster has been compiled in accordance with M.G.L. c.140, § 131¾ and 501 CMR 7.00. It contains weapons determined by Massachusetts approved independent testing laboratories to have satisfactorily completed the testing requirements of M.G.L. c. 140, § 123; clauses 18th; 19th; 20th; and 21st"

VP9 is on it, I can sell it and not violate MGL 140 123 which are the terms of my dealers license.

Now you raise other, UNRELATED points.

10rd vs 15rd magazines. This is MGL 140 131M. I cannot sell the 15rd magazines. I either have to remove them, replace them, or block them. That does not change the status of the gun itself

Triggers. Please find in MGL anything about trigger weight. When you are done looking, instead look at 940CMR16. These are the regulations from the AG under consumer protection law. This has nothing to do with compliance under MGL. The rule in question is the "5 year old" rule. The gun must not be fireable by the average 5 year old. A 10lb trigger or any type of safety is proof against a 5 year old. The VP9 has a trigger safety and satisfies 940CMR16. It is just one of many ways to satisfy 940CMR16.

You throw around the term "non-compliant" guns. There are two requirements. MGL 140 123 (the EOPS list) and 940CMR16. The local licensing authority is responsible for compliance to MGL 140 123. They "shall" conduct annual inspections to determine compliance. This in practice means looking at your FA10s and checking you have signs required posted. That is it. They have no access to your bound book, no access to your purchase records, no ability to get SKUs, UPCs, etc. They see the model number on your FA10.

The AG office enforces 940CMR16. They monitor FA10s and flag anything unusual. Your scenario just does not hold water.

Links to HK site on what THEY consider MA compliant and what buds guns considers compliant are irrelevant. It is up to the MA Dealer to make that determination. There are more compliant P226s than Sig lists. There are more compliant VP9s than HK lists. There a LOTS more compliant guns than Buds lists.

No UPCs on the list. Some SKUs recently by Ruger. Most manufacturers submit smartly.

940CMR16 is another steaming pile. Good luck proving non-compliance with it. Was the Apex trigger installed before or after the sale?

After 40 years of dealing with the Mass happy bullshit, I will be moving my 07/SOT to NH and will partner with my FFL son there. Won't do any business there and Little Jack and his sister and their uncle Scott can play with the NFA toys on their 13 acres. Keeping it in the family. I'll stay in Acton and will continue to manage the Mill in Littleton. Jack.
You won't regret it in the least! I moved away in 1990.. Lived in Wilmington (Gun Friendly Town) got all my NFA guns while I lived there for cheapo money compared to today Never a issue to get my LCT (since 1972 and my LTPAMG since 1975) always got Form 4s signed off. Had my FFL and SOT and moved it all up to NH in 1990. Compared to the current Mass BS fiasco, I'm glad I left...
I continue to see this Circus in Mass, and all the containment of the People. The AG's Office has 3 Lists which are designed to confuse people.
.The Mass AG's Office constantly tries to shut down Out-of-State dealers when they inadvertently send something down there, and don't know their FFL might be in peril. Hope you make it out sooner than expected...

Last edited:
If guns were not treated special and just like any other kind of consumer product with no FFL/4473 nonsense, I would probably not set foot in a gun store. I would be ordering everything Amazon Prime. I have little time in my life to hang out in any kind of store. I would be shooting, ordering or limited reloading or pursuing other interests with my discretionary time.

If I have read this correctly, I stand by the caution and content of CLASS3NH.

And seriously, a "1 of 50" in country gun? Ya, That's all I need to hear.....NON COMPLIANT IN MASS.

And OMG ! The Transfer Guy wants a "UNICORN GUN" That doesn't seem to be the customer anyone wants. Imagine what those future "Tire Kicking" sessions would be like with that Customer? I'd rather scrape my finger nail stubs on a blackboard.

Last edited:
If guns were not treated special and just like any other kind of consumer product with no FFL/4473 nonsense, I would probably not set foot in a gun store. I would be ordering everything Amazon Prime. I have little time in my life to hang out in any kind of store. I would be shooting, ordering or limited reloading or pursuing other interests with my discretionary time.
It was a much simpler time back then... I can remember working at Coleman's Sporting Goods in Danvers Mass... Early 70s and in the early 80s.. Still needed a LTC or FID (paper FID for All Long guns back then) you did your Paperwork, we made sure you filled out the 4473 correctly, you made your purchase and out the door you went. Handguns went via your LTC .....all simple and easy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom