MA Charity that will take guns??

I'd like to clear up my gun safe and have a few relatively low value long guns (bolt and single shot shotguns) I'd like to get rid of. I would like to give them to a worthy charity and avoid hassle of selling them. Anyone know of a local charity that might be interested?

Do not know of a charity that will take them directly, but I have seen places like Mass Rifle and a few others put up signs looking for donations to be used for training etc. There are probably other places that do the same.

Perhaps there's one in Cambridge to arm the illegal immigrant n'er-do-wells as part of their Welcome to Massachusetts package. Oh wait, even LEGAL immigrants aren't allowed to legally posess firearms in this state.

You can donate them to GOAL I believe. They sell them and use the proceeds in their programs.

...give them to a worthy charity and avoid hassle of selling them.

www.goal.org

Whether you transfer them for "sale" or transfer them "for charity" you're still transferring them and want to make sure it's done legally. I suspect GOAL would be your easiest choice, since they could probably get a FFL to transfer them for free to someone. Sadly I wouldn't just leave them with some "charity" without paperwork that releases you from ownership, like FA10 forms for up to four firearms or an FFL transferring ownership.

Last edited:
You can donate them to GOAL I believe. They sell them and use the proceeds in their programs.

Not GOAL but "The GOAL Foundation" is a 501c3 charity and gets you a tax deduction. In addition, all funds obtained by this org goes to fund gun education, so it is a Double Win!

www.goal.org

Whether you transfer them for "sale" or transfer them "for charity" you're still transferring them and want to make sure it's done legally. I suspect GOAL would be your easiest choice, since they could probably get a FFL to transfer them for free to someone. Sadly I wouldn't just leave them with some "charity" without paperwork that releases you from ownership, like FA10 forms for up to four firearms or an FFL transferring ownership.

Excellent point . . . whoever accepts them must have a LTC or FFL and if it is a LTC you must do a personal transfer via FA-10 form (up to 4/calendar year). Jon Green is coincidently both the Education Director who runs The GOAL Foundation and holds the FFL for GOAL, so again a Double Win!

If it's a super-high value gun like a Kerighoff or a Barrett with a Nightforce Scope, us folks at Comm2A can see if a local dealer will donate consignment service as a benefit for the org - but Comm2A is not set up to accept guns, and I suspect the other Comm2a Directors would share my lack of interest in doing personal transfers with the intent of transferring the guns again, as doing so with "intent" could be considered acting as a dealer without a license.

GOAL has an annual raffle in conjunction with their banquet. If the guns are of moderate value, I suggest donating them to GOAL for this raffle would be a decent enough disposition.

I'd like to clear up my gun safe and have a few relatively low value long guns (bolt and single shot shotguns) I'd like to get rid of. I would like to give them to a worthy charity and avoid hassle of selling them. Anyone know of a local charity that might be interested?

you can donate them to the Inerlogic charity...
we accept any and all firearms... they will be going to help a good cause...

Not GOAL but "The GOAL Foundation" is a 501c3 charity and gets you a tax deduction. In addition, all funds obtained by this org goes to fund gun education, so it is a Double Win!

As the man said after his hernia operation: "I stand corrected."

I'd just like to mention that this is your second post, and your first was a donation to Comm2A. You're off to one noble start. +1 to you.

Lots of great suggestions already but I was in a similar situation with two .22 Marlins I didn't really want and didn't want to go through the hassle of selling or consigning. I donated them to First Defense Firearms and Dennis saw to it that they when to local Boy Scouts. Your local shop may be able to arrange for the same.

Back
Top Bottom