MA Approved Firearms Roster 7/06

I noticed this particular pecularity for the first time while looking through the Commonwealth's newest release of "the list." SiG P220 is listed as approved without any other model designator. I don't know much about Sigs beyond their reputation so I took a trip to the SiGArms website to get the specs on "this" sidearm. I discovered that there are eleven varieties of pistol that all wear the P220 moniker.

Since the thumb nail for the P220 in the products section depicts the rail version, I wondered if the 220R was being referred to in "the list," albeit improperly. But that doesn't seem to make sense either, because the P226 is approved in the rail and non-rail versions.

Now, my question: which of the many flavors of P220 does the MA Approved Firearms Roster actually indicate to be MA compliant?

Sidebar: I really wish that the 220 Carry was approved. The dimensions seem to be just right for the ideal configuration I have in mind for myself. Has anyone used one, and if so, what are your thoughts about it?

Moga said:
Now, my question: which of the many flavors of P220 does the MA Approved Firearms Roster actually indicate to be MA compliant?
While the roster seems to indicate approval of the 220, Sig only certifys certain variations of each model These will be the ones modified by Sig with the witness hole in the barrel shroud and other changes to meet the AG's requirements. I've heard that the SAS models and the P226-X series will not be available because of the light trigger pull.
Your best bet is to call either Sig or Carl at Four Seasons to find out what is currently compliant and available.

My FFL has a SS P220 with I believe the rail on his board. I am pretty certain it is brand-new. It's a slick gun.

Moga said:
I noticed this particular pecularity for the first time while looking through the Commonwealth's newest release of "the list." SiG P220 is listed as approved without any other model designator. I don't know much about Sigs beyond their reputation so I took a trip to the SiGArms website to get the specs on "this" sidearm. I discovered that there are eleven varieties of pistol that all wear the P220 moniker.

Since the thumb nail for the P220 in the products section depicts the rail version, I wondered if the 220R was being referred to in "the list," albeit improperly. But that doesn't seem to make sense either, because the P226 is approved in the rail and non-rail versions.

Sidebar: I really wish that the 220 Carry was approved. The dimensions seem to be just right for the ideal configuration I have in mind for myself. Has anyone used one, and if so, what are your thoughts about it?

SIGARMS PDF catalogue (if you can get your hands on it) has had
section in it with MA compliant guns that they sell. This is the only
100% way to know what they're sellling at a time, as typically MA
dealers can get anything in that section no problem.

FWIW, I doubt the P220 Carry will seriously be here anytime this year. It
typically takes them the better part of a year to get a lawyer to tell them
it's OK to sell, or to bribe the AG, or whatever the hell it is that they
do for the AG's regs. Making the list is the easy part of the
operation. Any gun thats not a piece of crap will pass the EOPS tests,
so its just a matter of wasting a large chunk of change to test the guns you
want.

Getting it past the AG's consumer protection retardation without him taking
a dump on it is another story, and it's pretty much a black box operation.
The public generally is not exposed to that end of the "certification". In
theory it's supposedly the vendor tries to sell their product and wait for the
whining to start, and if no whining, it's good. In reality it would not
surprise me if theres some "unwritten communication" that goes on between
the gun company's lawyer and the AG's office. This theory would explain
why some companies never get their product shot down (S+W, for instance)
and others, such as Glock, always get their product shot down. Either glock
doesn't know how to bribe him, or theres a vendetta there by the AG... at
this point it's readily apparent that the AG is fully corrupt with this part of
the opreration, it's just that theres no bread crumbs left behind for anyone
to send him to jail with.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom