M44: My First Milsurp.... Update.... Looking For Some Help

Yes, can not get the handle fully closed. It stops about halfway down.

On the round I was able to fire, it opened and extracted smoothly.

Snap caps will be here to tomorrow.

About to start a cleaning now, I have seen the video you linked.

I am afraid to say it is most likely head space. if the bolt is a mismatch you may have to change out the bolt head. I have a set of go/no go gauges if you want to try them. I had the same issue with a 91/30 I purchased and the bolt head had been changed. Chamber a round, try and close the bolt and it would no close. Used my head space gauges and sure enough, improper head space.
You would have to have a pretty large amount of dried cosmoline for the bolt not to close.

Just a tip, you should NEVER try and fire a surplus rifle until you have completely disassembled it and cleaned it.

Thanks for the input. I would certainly be interested in borrowing your go/no go if we could meet or throw it in the mail, I would certainly cover the shipping cost.

I have just boiled the bold and am soaking it in clp.

In lieu of snap caps, can I use the one spent cartridge to check if I can get the bolt closed once reassembled ?

More than likely a spent casing won't chamber. The case expands slightly and while it extracts easily, I've found they never really chamber easy again.

I'd advise against testing with a live round while not at range.

Headspace is definitely something I'd check.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Got the rifle back together and did experiment.

I took the spent casing and placed it on the end of the bolt while outside the rifle. I then fed the bolt assem into rifle with the casing still on the end.

Bolt closed fine.

Whle I agree a headspace check is in order. My extractor is not making it over the lip of the casing in normal operation.

Thoughts ?

I can think of two reasons that would happen. The extractor spring could be too stiff. If you can get another mosin bolt and compare you might be able to tell. The other reason is the extractor face is no longer shaped right. When the face comes into contact with the rim of the cartridge it needs to be pushed out and over the rim. There should be a bevel to accomplish this on the face. Again the best way to tell is to compare.

Got the rifle back together and did experiment.

I took the spent casing and placed it on the end of the bolt while outside the rifle. I then fed the bolt assem into rifle with the casing still on the end.

Bolt closed fine.

Whle I agree a headspace check is in order. My extractor is not making it over the lip of the casing in normal operation.

Thoughts ?

I've been working the extractor and it is loosening up.

Got it to chamber the spent casing pretty consistently. Still working it a bit. When it does chamber it is smoothe, just not there every time.

I have a set of go/no go if you want to borrow them, I am right on rt 16 in Milford. On my M44, I had the same issue. I ended up really scrubbing the chamber to get out a thin layer of baked on cosmoline. If you don't really scrub the chamber before firing, any cosmo in there acts like glue. You may want to use some scotch brite or a brass brush and hoppes where the cartridge neck seats.

George, that would be sweet. I work right in hopedale so I could meet whenever is convenient.

Attached a brass brush to my drill and went to town on the chamber, especially in the seating / extractor area. Pretty sure it's part of the reason my issue seems to be getting better.

My office is right on Main St, I'll go grab them now before I forget.

You the man, I'll be in touch tomorrow am.

I'm Pretty happy, the bolt is consistently chambering the spent casing as long as I work the bolt like a man.

Seems like the more use, the easier it gets.

More than likely a spent casing won't chamber. The case expands slightly and while it extracts easily, I've found they never really chamber easy again.

I'd advise against testing with a live round while not at range.

Headspace is definitely something I'd check.

+1

Good luck Zbomb. Even if you need an entire new bolt it isn't a big deal. The M44 is a great mil surp rifle and the value will continue to climb so hang on to it. I am also having an issue with my new 91/30. I'm afraid for fire it because the firing pin looks like it protrudes too much. I tried using the gauge tool but I still am a newbie when it comes to Mosin. My SKS I had disassembled in about 15 mins and it is easier for me than the Mosin but there are many good guys on here with superior knowledge. This is why I love NES.

Do you have a measuring caliper?

Measuring the firing pin lengthy is easy. Remove the bolt, and decock it by pulling back on the cocking knob and turning it a 1/4 turn to left. Then place cocking knob down on table and push down bolt head to making firing pin stick out fully.

If you have digital caliper, proper pin protrusion is 0.075"-0.095"

If you have the tool, you'll see 4 notches. The middle two are the ones you want. The outer notches just allow clearance over the bolt head. Smaller notch measures 0.075" and the deeper notch measures 0.095"

Simply place tool on bolt head and slide it across the bolt face so that the firing pin will pass through the notch. Like so

vygupa5y.jpg

You want the pin to hit the bottom of the 0.075" notch, but not touch the 0.095" notch.

If its too deep or shallow, remove the bolt head and turn the firing pin in or out 1/2 turn and then reassemble and recheck.

There are videos on you tube showing this. Unfortunately I cannot access it now.

Last edited:
Also a great investment for very short money is a firing pin spring replacement from Wolf Spring co. I use the 30 pound spring myself. The 23 pound is the military weight. It will guarantee a strong hit on even the hardest of primers. Remember some of these rifles have sat with the bolts in the charged position which weakens the spring.

I buy them 5 at a time. I have some rifles which were built in the 1800 so if I expected the springs to be in tip top shape .....well they wont be.

In fact I will mail you one. PM me your address. You can have either the 30 or 23. I like the 30. Gives the trigger a nice pull.

I also buy the reproduction Finn springs for the trigger. They help a great deal. All of $4 a pop. Its well worth it. Folks who don't think they are accurate .......I will let you shoot my Polish M44 at 100 yards and I guarantee, unless your a terrible shot, you will hit each and every clay you aim at.

Finnish sears are also a great upgrade. I have one in my m44 and it's a nice crisp trigger!

Also a great investment for very short money is a firing pin spring replacement from Wolf Spring co. I use the 30 pound spring myself. The 23 pound is the military weight. It will guarantee a strong hit on even the hardest of primers. Remember some of these rifles have sat with the bolts in the charged position which weakens the spring.

I buy them 5 at a time. I have some rifles which were built in the 1800 so if I expected the springs to be in tip top shape .....well they wont be.

In fact I will mail you one. PM me your address. You can have either the 30 or 23. I like the 30. Gives the trigger a nice pull.

I also buy the reproduction Finn springs for the trigger. They help a great deal. All of $4 a pop. Its well worth it. Folks who don't think they are accurate .......I will let you shoot my Polish M44 at 100 yards and I guarantee, unless your a terrible shot, you will hit each and every clay you aim at.

First off, much thanks for your generosity. Pm inbound.

So, I borrowed George D's go/no go and am good to go. Thanks George !!!

Reassembled the gun....again and went to the range. 20 rounds fired and as long as I manipulate the bolt like a Russian beast, all is good.

Feels like the extractor is freeing up with use as chambering got progressively better.

Thanks to all who chimed in, you guys are the collective shit !!!!

Glad it worked out. if I'm not in my office, just leave the gauges with the receptionist.

First off, much thanks for your generosity. Pm inbound.

So, I borrowed George D's go/no go and am good to go. Thanks George !!!

Reassembled the gun....again and went to the range. 20 rounds fired and as long as I manipulate the bolt like a Russian beast, all is good.

Feels like the extractor is freeing up with use as chambering got progressively better.

Thanks to all who chimed in, you guys are the collective shit !!!!

Thanks to all who chimed in here with help. George, I'll bring the go/ no go over tomorrow around mid day.

Went to the range tonight with the wife....

[video=youtube_share;Kpmpr9IBZy8]http://youtu.be/Kpmpr9IBZy8[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks to all who chimed in here with help. George, I'll bring the go/ no go over tomorrow around mid day.

Went to the range tonight with the wife....

[video=youtube_share;Kpmpr9IBZy8]http://youtu.be/Kpmpr9IBZy8[/video]

+1 Awesome, I love bonding time at the range. The M44 throws such a big fireball. I need to get one ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom