M44: My First Milsurp.... Update.... Looking For Some Help

My wonderful wife got me my first milsurp, I am one happy dude.

I know pretty much nothing about these rifles, I did know that I wanted a Russian boom stick that spits big fireballs !!!

Questions for the helpful folk in here :

I need a cleaning rod, anyone point me in a direction.

Where should I look to find info like orgin and history on this particular rifle. It is a hodge podge of SN's

Anything I should check before I shoot it.

Oh yeah....Pictures !!!

photo-434.jpg

photo-1789.jpg

photo-1833.jpg

photo-1990.jpg

photo-2427.jpg

photo-895.jpg

photo-844.jpg

Last edited:
Not uncommon to see a Hungarian with a mix of Eastern European parts. It will likely be a very good and loud shoulder thumper. Congrats on the rifle, and the wife's good deed.

Not much history with these, as they generally saw no combat.

The Hungarians stamped the receivers and all the parts with the 02 stamp. You have what would be called a mix master. The receiver is Hungarian, somewhere on the stock near the butt plate should be a large 02 stamp. if not its most likely not a Hungarian stock. The other parts shown appears to be Izzy stamped. Triangle with an arrow and one part of the bolt is Tula, a star stamp.

Tons of information along with markings etc. can be found at www.7.62x54R.net.
Congratulations on your gift.

p.s. If you want a REALLY big fire ball come out of that muzzle get some 230 grain ammunition.

Last edited:
Try http://7.62x54r.net/ or more specifically a subpage on that sight http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM44S.htm . I have a 91/30 and its fun to shoot. Ideally you would like the bolt S/N and the receiver S/N to match to reduce a potential headspace concern. Was this purchase from a private seller or a gun shop? When cleaning your M44, and after reassembling your bolt it is important to reassemble with the firing pin back to the proper depth. There are Youtube videos to describe what I am talking about (Google: Nagant Bolt Disassembly/Assembly). You should do this visually by examining the rear of the bolt assembly (aka the so-called safety) there should be a marking on the bolt that essentially lines up with the rear of the screw. Hopefully your accessory kit came with the firing pin protrusion tool that will provide you with greater accuracy on your firing pin protrusion. If the pin bumps the 75 marker but barely slides under the 95 marker on the tool and the rear of the bolt assembly markings line up with the screw head, you're good to go as fire as firing pin depth is concerned.

If you just want a cleaning rod, and it doesn't have to be a historically perfect match, check out eBay. I have bought a couple on there for my Chinese T53's for about $15 each.

Congrats on the new rifle.

Ok well, I did not receive an accessory kit. So I will have to hunt one of these down as well m

Also, there is no sn marked on the bolt.

There is a Chinese m44 cleaning rod on fleabay, will this work.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
No biggie. They are easy enough to find online (Amazon, Ebay and others). Just search "Nagant Accessory Kit" or "Nagant Cleaning Kit". All kits are universal to all Mosin models as the bolt design did not change during production years or country of origin. The only true tool you need from any Nagant kit is the black tool that serves as the firing pin gauge/screwdriver. Don't pay more than $15-$20, otherwise you are paying too much or getting more than you actually need in the kit. While you're waiting for your kit, spend some time watching vids on how to disassemble the bolt, after a few tries it will become second nature. After some practice you can eyeball your firing pin back to it's proper depth now without the tool 99/100 times, but I always double check with the gauge to be safe.

762x54r.net,......... I spent hours there trying to id all the stamp marks on my 1927 hex...every time I look I find something new. I just shoot it now.

Awesome! Nice way to start your collection. Look up the thread on getting your C&R and welcome to paradise!

Bingo. Getting your C&R is cheap and easy. And you can sit at your computer on Saturday night, after a few beers, and order all the guns you can afford.

Welcome to the addiction, I mean club. :) I still remember my first milsurp like it was yesterday. I really nice all matching 1918 Husky Swede M96 I paid $85 OTD. Which of course, in my newbieness, took home and immediately sanded the stock and refinished it to my liking. :(

Help ! At the range.

Chamber a round, bolt will not close. No round bolt closes fine.

Tried 2 different types of ammo. Both same issue.

Suggestions ?

HTML:
Have you visually inspected the chamber and bore? Are there any obstructions or abnormalities? Is the extractor frozen or does it move freely?

Aside from there being a problem with the ammo, those are the first two things I would check. Either something is preventing the round from sitting properly in the chamber or the extractor is not able to snap around the rim. Another less likely issue is a head space problem.

Last edited:
I should start at the start. I got one round to fire before my post.

First of the day the bolt wouldn't close all the way, I try a couple times and click, closes. Fires and extracts fine. Load next round, bolt won't close. Try multiple times with varying degrees of force with no luck. Try a different type of ammo. Same issue.

I did inspect before firing, basically to verify no bore obstruction or any other glaring issues. But, my knowledge of these guns is sorely lacking.

Any help of course appreciated. Going home to look into closer.

ETA:

I can move the extractor, but it does require quite a bit of force.

When attempting to lock the bolt, it gets stuck right after it cocks, if that makes sense. The extractor has not yet engaged as the round does not eject when bolt pulled back.

From what I'm reading I should clean the chamber very well.

To me, it seems like maybe the extractor is not making it over the rim of the cartridge, but again, I know zip about these rifles.

Last edited:
Can you take a picture of the bolt head? Specifically the extractor. It's possible the extractor is bent inwards too far making it tough to snap over the rim

It should look like this flush with the outer edge of the bolt
vyna9e3y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Hmm...extractor "looks" fine from what I can see.

So trouble is getting the Handle to close down? Where does it stop? About halfway down?

Once closed, does it open and remove the round easily?

Do you have snap caps?

Are you able to confirm chamber is clean? Here's a good how too on chamber cleaning. I had to do this to my '26 Hex that had a burr in the chamber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLL20Oh4P8M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom