• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M4 Style Upper?

So I have lost ALL hope in Anvil Arms to start/finish building my M4 style upper so I am looking elsewhere. One of the uppers I have come across is made by DPMS (link below). I am not sure on it because it seems that it is a .223 upper...if I am not mistaken, that will not allow me to run 5.56 surplus ammo through it [sad]. Another thing is that the barrel is not chrome lined. Ok, I know everyone says to get that but does it REALLY matter? I mean this is pretty much going to be my paper punching plinker and I clean my guns pretty often.

896061.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=896061#enalarge

If it is 223 than yes it is recommended to use only 223. If it is 5.56 than it is safe for both 223 and 5.56.
Chrome lined is more durable but not an absolute neccesity.

Check www.ar15.com in their exchange forum.
I see complete uppers there all the time.

If it were me I would get something capable of firing .556 so I had the option to shoot both.

AR15.com is where I bought 3 of my uppers and one lower.

Keep clicking refresh in the Equipment Exchange forum and you'll find something. Just don't blink.

Just go see John at JDL.

1. He's fair - he won't gouge you.
2. He's in state - you can always find him if something goes wrong
3. His work is first rate

I still haven't had an FTF of any type on the AR he built for me this summer and we're approaching 7K rounds down the pipe.

So I have lost ALL hope in Anvil Arms to start/finish building my M4 style upper so I am looking elsewhere. One of the uppers I have come across is made by DPMS (link below). I am not sure on it because it seems that it is a .223 upper...if I am not mistaken, that will not allow me to run 5.56 surplus ammo through it [sad]. Another thing is that the barrel is not chrome lined. Ok, I know everyone says to get that but does it REALLY matter? I mean this is pretty much going to be my paper punching plinker and I clean my guns pretty often.

I just bought one from Midway the begining of Nov. before the election. Bad news is not any major online sites have anything in stock at the moment.

The barrel is stamped .223 - 5.56 I checked with DPMS and it's go to go with 5.56mm. Checkout this link. I also called to confirm this. http://dpmsinc.com/forum/posts.aspx?postID=1847

Here's my finished project.

USENEWdpms003-1.jpg

Just go see John at JDL.

1. He's fair - he won't gouge you.
2. He's in state - you can always find him if something goes wrong
3. His work is first rate

I still haven't had an FTF of any type on the AR he built for me this summer and we're approaching 7K rounds down the pipe.

+1

I have dealt with him on several AR's and would recommend highly.

Here is a pic of the last upper he did for me:
DP201620m4.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck locating a DPMS upper. If you find someone that has them please PM me and let me know.

I called DPMS the other day and they told me 10 to 12 months lead time for a complete upper.

Stag has m4 ish uppers in stock, and ships within a few days.

FWIW, if you do a little research, you can confirm that DPMS cuts ALL chambers to 5.56 specs, even with barrels marked 223.

I just bought one from Midway the begining of Nov. before the election. Bad news is not any major online sites have anything in stock at the moment.

The barrel is stamped .223 - 5.56 I checked with DPMS and it's go to go with 5.56mm. Checkout this link. I also called to confirm this. http://dpmsinc.com/forum/posts.aspx?postID=1847

Here's my finished project.

USENEWdpms003-1.jpg

what stock is that on your rifle? that is what I want to get for my AR15.....

IIRC, the chrome lining will provide better durability but at some sacrifice in ultimate accuracy. Not sure where I read it, maybe the Bushmaster site.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom