M1916 Spanish Short Rifle 7x57 feed problem

MRE

I have an m1916 Spanish Short Rifle in 7x57 that seems to have a problem feeding a round from the magazine. This rifle was a rust bucket project that I cleaned up, more for the experience of doing it than the end product, but now that the rifle is back together I would like to try it out at the range.

This rifle cocks the bolt when the bolt closes, and when cycling the bolt, the firing pin remains forward until the bolt is about 3/4" from being fully closed when it catches the sear and is held back as the bolt is closed the rest of the way. When feeding a round out of the magazine, the round is pushed forward and slides up under the extractor, but since the firing pin is still forward, it catches the rim of the cartridge and prevents it from continuing to move up, until the bolt is almost closed and the pin is retracted. But the cartridge binds when the bolt is a good 1/2" inch before the pin begins to be retracted, so I am unable to complete closing the bolt. If however I leave the safety in the takedown position with the firing pin held back, the rifle appears to feed and extract flawlessly.

Am I missing something here? Could it be that the chamber and feed ramp are just dirty/fouled enough to cause the cartridge to bind?

I have checked and the rifle was not re-chambered for 7.62x51 as many were. It is still the original 7x57. The only cartridge I have to play with is an old surplus round.

Thanks

Im going to throw this out there, The channel where the fireing pin rides has rusted and worn out allowing the pin to protrude more than it should.
I have no idea of how far the pin should protrude beyound the bolt face at any point though. Have you checked head space on this rifle yet?

Im going to throw this out there, The channel where the fireing pin rides has rusted and worn out allowing the pin to protrude more than it should.
I have no idea of how far the pin should protrude beyound the bolt face at any point though. Have you checked head space on this rifle yet?
Also the cocking piece might be worn ?

Also the cocking piece might be worn ?

Figured it out.

I started looking at the bolt and found that it is supposed to withdraw the firing pin about 1/8" when the bolt is rotated to the unlocked position, even though it isn't fully cocked. This allows the cartridge to slide up under the extracter. The problem with mine was a worn nub under the large lug on the cocking piece. When I got the rifle the bolt was frozen and I had to use a bit of force to get it free, so I probably damaged it, but at least I found the issue.

Thanks for the help, and now to start looking for a replacement.

Last edited:
good to see you got it figured out.... I hate it but there seems to be a shit ton of parts on ebay for alot of guns.

Back
Top Bottom