• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

m1 Garand Barrel sources?

Looking for a good condition surplus (NOT new manf) SA barrel for my new purchase.
(the current one has a BADLY worn Muzzle to the point of being a smooth bore on the crown area. )

The normal suspects have them int he 150.00 range and I will be looking at the upcoming Springfield show as I usually see several.

And if anyone has the wrenches I could borrow to swap it (I am willing to Travel if you don't want to loan them out) that would be cool as it would save me from making a set. (I have the mill but finding the time.....)

I want to keep it 30.06 as it is for my Willys ww2 1944 MB jeep . (really!)

Last edited:
Glenn, I have a couple, but I'm not sure they are any better than what you have. One is a '51, the other a '53. Both will swallow a muzzle gauge. Not so bad as smoothbore at the muzzle, but probably not going to be match barrels.
Exterior condition is good. I'll send them down for you to look at if you're interested.

Mine will take a bullet all the way to the case mouth, It doesn't sound like yours is much better, it is fine for display, I just want to find a nicer barrel (nos if possible) as I am a bit anal. for all I know the thing shoots fine. It's just the rest of the rifle is REALLY nice.

Thanks very much for the offer.

Yea I have been looking too, nothing great. I think I will hold out till the gunshow and go from there. I have always seen plenty at the springfield show. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

Try checking on the CMP forums ( www.odcmp.com ) - there is a for sale section - you might find something there, or ask in the Garand specific forum if anybody there has any ideas. I have seen barrels available here and there - just can't recall where at the moment.

If you are really up the creek and can't find anything let me know - I have two barrelled receivers at home that have reasonably decent muzzle wear, and three woodless Dane's that have barrels that are not perfect - but they wont take a bullet down the casing - so they aren't totally worn out yet.

I haven't figured out exactly what I want to do with these yet - but I might be willing to give up a barrel.

Back
Top Bottom