M1 Garand 4 Round Internal Box Magazine

It doesn't appear to be an ammo / clip issue. A clip with only a few rounds in it wouldn't load either.

Is this block on the receiver supposed to be there? It looks like the follower arm might be contacting this area early not allowing the follower to fully depress.

m1001_zps73b00658.jpg

m1003_zps4903ed5d.jpg

The part that you're talking about is the bullet guide. It is a separate part and not part of the receiver. Here is a picture of a bullet guide: garand bullet guide.jpg
I can't really tell if your bullet guide is modified or not. I suggest detail stripping your feed group and removing your bullet guide, then taking some pictures of it so we can really check it out. The good news is that if a modified bullet guide is causing your problem, they are easy to replace.
Detail Strip Instructions

Definitely modified. Suggestions on where to order a new one? Any other spare parts I should pick up at the same time?

m001_zpsa742d72b.jpg

No. That don't look right. Someone has tacked a block onto the guide and the guide looks cut. give me a few mins and I will snap some pix.
~Matt

You got it out while I was looking at mine. Ya, that won't work. Replace it asap. Also your receiver guide notch looks bent/disfigured. could you take a pic of it with the guide out?
~Matt

Which notch are you referring to? The one the bolt keys into?

No the one the bullet guide locks into on the receiver. in your first photo it is at about 4-o'clock on your red circle.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have access to a good B. Guide, install it, reassemble and attempt to load again.

Thanks Terrence. My computer skills suck.

The tab below the notch looks bent, but it may be the angle of the photo.

Try a new guide and see if it fits correctly in the notch. It looks hinky and may have been modified for the 4-round guide.

If it does not fit well, fit the B. Guide to the receiver, NOT the receiver to the Guide.
A few passes with a good file should do it.

Yeah, the notches don't look pristine, but I'm not sure that will affect operation. The front end of the bullet guide is held by a pin so its not going anywhere, but the fit might just be a little sloppy.

- - - Updated - - -

Ordered the guide and a spring kit. Thanks guys, we'll see how it goes!
Anytime, make sure you give us an update after you install the new guide.

Great, you'll love the op rod spring. I replaced all mine with their spring and what an improvement in cycling.
All my Garands came from the CMP, every one came with a Korea-era spring in there. Springs aren't a "lifetime" part.
If you plan to shoot M1's, a new op rod spring is worth getting...

~Matt

Great, you'll love the op rod spring. I replaced all mine with their spring and what an improvement in cycling.
All my Garands came from the CMP, every one came with a Korea-era spring in there. Springs aren't a "lifetime" part.
If you plan to shoot M1's, a new op rod spring is worth getting...

~Matt

My CMP Garand seems to cycle just fine, but I have little experience with anyone else's. What does a sacked spring feel like? How's it fail?

My CMP Garand seems to cycle just fine, but I have little experience with anyone else's. What does a sacked spring feel like? How's it fail?

Bring the op rod back with even, steady pressure. I found that you can feel hesitations and binds on junk springs.
I also found that with new springs the occasional FTF no longer occured while no other changes had been made to the rifle.
Some of the springs that I replaced had areas where the coils were more compressed than others, and had other areas that looked like they had been kinked a little.

Not every CMP Garand will need a new Op Rod spring, mine did. Good to have spares too.

There is some good info here on the M1 Garand Operating Spring. It is a critical link in the operation of the rifle.

http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/M1GarandOpRodSpringLength.pdf

~Matt

Basically the easy way is to remove and measure from end to end if its shorter than 19" replace if longer than 20.5 "(i might be wrong on this data) replace.
Any kinks flat spots or anything that looks wrong.

Also some things caused by weak springs....fail to feed, jams ect ect. I just did my most recent M1 from the cmp over with new springs and a tune up
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ade-hra-range-report-stock-fit-mods-tune.html in there is the part for the op rod spring lengths

Do you guys grease your op rod springs? I think I read on the cmp forums to grease the op rod spring, so I slather a handful of grease on mine.

Yes you should grease it, need not smother it though.
I use a light coat of grease on the spring. And then a good da. Of grease on the metal piece up inside the front hand guard.

The cmp guide lines for stripping and cleaning lubeing your garand are about as good as it gets.

Getting closer..but not there yet. I have the new bullet guide installed but am still having loading issues.

With 8 rounds in the clip I can not press the clip down far enough for it to latch or the bolt to clear the relief in the clip. BUT, if I only have 7 rounds loaded the clip will latch and the bolt will strip the round as it should. There is something about the 8th round that is giving me issues.

I figured out what was going on. The follower arm is contacting the stock before it is fully depressed. I am going to use a dremel to modify the stock slightly to allow relief for the follower arm.

photo1_zps5bf68e87.jpg

photo2_zps5f5fd54a.jpg

Do you guys grease your op rod springs? I think I read on the cmp forums to grease the op rod spring, so I slather a handful of grease on mine.

I do. If anything, it prevents that annoying squeaking when you pull back in the OP rod.

Back
Top Bottom