• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Carbines at gun shop

Patriot Arms in Ipswich has a Winchester for sale. Price seems low unless it’s in fair condition? If I didn’t already have a carbine (also a Winchester) I’d scoop that up.
522AF3D5-5635-4D3D-A72A-A0CDEC6B6BBE.jpeg

Almost every M1 Carbine and most Garands I've seen at gun shops have bad barrels. That's not a biggie to fix, but they are often priced like they have good barrels. Caveat.

when I see garands and carbines in gun shops they are priced like Gen. Patton Blessed it personally.
When I've seen people buy a $1200 run of the mill M1 at a shop I don't know whether to cringe or be somewhat thankful it keeps the CMP ones in stock longer and leaves a chance for me to get another one.

Before I was able to predict the future, NIB M2s were going for $500 dealer and M14s for $600 dealer from RIA. I think they were assembled from assorted new parts. I bought one M2 built on an Inland receiver. Should have bought ten and some M14s. Who's to know? Jack.

When I've seen people buy a $1200 run of the mill M1 at a shop I don't know whether to cringe or be somewhat thankful it keeps the CMP ones in stock longer and leaves a chance for me to get another one.
yes; will never buy a surplus gun again at todays prices; 1984 paid $150 for my garand and m1 carbine, $500 for valmet folding stock ak in 223 with 4 mags. $600 for m1a ultra match with mags and scope mount from a guy that needed money

yes; will never buy a surplus gun again at todays prices; 1984 paid $150 for my garand and m1 carbine, $500 for valmet folding stock ak in 223 with 4 mags. $600 for m1a ultra match with mags and scope mount from a guy that needed money
I wasn't alive in 1984 to score those deals :D

I've heard various competing theories about whether or not milsurp prices will decline. I'm inclined to think "no" since I still see enough young people shooting them (one theory I heard was that in 10-15 years prices will come down since no young people like milsurps, and the demand will decrease as older folks pass away--which my experience has taught me is BS).

I was too young to get the really great deals, but it is what it is. There's no time machine for me to use to get $300 Mausers or $90 SKS, etc. Even the stuff I've bought in the past that I felt at the time might've been overpaying has been worth it, as in 2-3 years time it becomes a "good deal" as surplus prices rise.

For some stuff-- '03 Springfield, M1 Carbine, etc. -- I think the market's already gone too far for me. A couple of years ago I nearly grabbed an '03A3 for $600 (had the "I'll take it" email written up and everything), but didn't go through with it. Now, I'd expect to pay at least a grand, which makes it a lot less enticing to me.

Was $150 a lot back in 1984?
Seem to feel like it was?
35 years later its $750 from cmp.

Was $150 a lot back in 1984?
Seem to feel like it was?

I paid 250 for an Inland M1 Carbine in like brand new condition, 1944 barrel, AND a colt 1911A1 1944 issue in like new condition in 1985. It was fair money then, I got a little deal since the guy did not have a license and they were his dads guns. I was making around 400 a week.

I paid 250 for an Inland M1 Carbine in like brand new condition, 1944 barrel, AND a colt 1911A1 1944 issue in like new condition in 1985. It was fair money then, I got a little deal since the guy did not have a license and they were his dads guns. I was making around 400 a week.
My earnings have been pretty stale over the past 10 plus years. I was not even making close to 400 wk in 1992. Wrong career choice on my end I guess

Back
Top Bottom