M1 Carbine pics

As promised in my
M1 Carbine FINALLY Came Home Thread, here are some pictures of my M1 Carbine.

Any info you milsurp guru's can give me about this gun will be appreciated!

Full glamor shot, with a couple of the boxes of ammo from grandpa.
M1Carbine002.jpg

Mid body of the gun
M1Carbine004.jpg

Just the front.
M1Carbine005.jpg

Close-up of the receiver.
M1Carbine006.jpg

Markings on the receiver (just behind the rear sight)
M1Carbine011.jpg

Markings on the barrel band.
M1Carbine010.jpg

And one last one, with a box of ammo my granddad sent along with her. This is what he used to use for hunting.
M1Carbine008.jpg

BTW, the bore of this gun is like a mirror. The rifling is sharp all the way up, and I am amazed at how fast of a twist it seems to have!

Comments appreciated.
Adam

Nice rifle, Adam. The receiver is a commercial build by National Ordinance in the 1960's. They built receivers and used mostly USGI parts to complete the rifles.

Thanks for the pic Mark, and the comments Milsurps. This gun was designed as a functioning weapon. It has performed it's job fantastically. It has given lots of years of service, never had a malfunction, and put food on the table when my mother was younger. It is now, as it always has been a SHOOTER! And I will be damn sure to keep up the tradition!

Thanks for the info Jon! I appreciate it.

As for the ammo... Those 2 boxes of LC ammo are untouched. They are still full, and all have a headstamp of LC46 on them. Is it worth anything to keep around and not shoot? If it's blasting ammo, is it corrosive?
That box of Remington ammo isn't full. It's short a few rounds, and I don't think I would fire that. I think I would like to keep it there, in the box and preserve it. It was that exact box of ammo, that I took into the woods deer hunting, and we didn't see anything that day. My grandfather could see how disappointed I was, and asked me... "So kid, you mad you didn't get to shoot today" I replied that I was, and he pointed about 25 yards away at a tree that was about 4-5 inches across, and said.. "There's your deer boy, see if you can take him down" He told me to twist off the safety, and I let all 5 rounds out of that mag go. I'll be damned if that tree didn't fall over about 3 seconds after the shots rang out. I stood there with a grin from ear to ear, and when we started to walk away, he looked at me and said.. "What the HELL are you doing"? I asked him what he meant, and he replied.. "Son, we respect the land we use, we don't kill an animal for no reason, we don't cut down trees we don't plan to use"... "Now I suggest you sling your rifle, and get to haulin' your kill out of these woods". I'll be damned if he didn't make me drag that fur tree all the way out of the woods, by myself. We hunted by walking into the woods just out the back door of his house, and we were probably only 1/4 into the woods on our way back to the house. I didn't give up, I pushed myself to keep dragging that damn tree, following his footsteps in the snow. When I got back to the house, I dragged the tree all the way out of the woods, and over to the back door where my grandpa was sitting on the stairs. I sat down beside him catching my breath. He handed me a bottle of Pepsi, and his bar of chew. He told me, "Good job son, you've shown me you are becoming a fine man" "Go ahead, take a bite and chew on it, I won't tell your mom, but for Christ sake don't swallow it this time, I won't be able to hide it if you turn green again"

We sat there for a while, in silent conversation (if that makes sense to you). He finally started to stand, and as I was getting up and turning for the door, he said.. "Not so fast there kid" He handed me a small ax that he had hidden beside him on the stairs and said.. "You killed that there tree, now you've got to dress it out, and get it ready to eat".. I looked at him with a puzzled look and he pointed towards the chimney and said "Don't be too long, you've got a rifle to clean when you're done"
I look back on that day, and think about exactly what he was trying to teach me. I will remember it forever, and his simple (however cruel at the time) lessons will stick with me for life.
I learned alot that day, and will never forget it.

Now that I'm all done being all nostalgic and all....

Adam (who's rifle makes him remember happy times)

Thanks Mark...

Every time I get to cleaning a rifle of mine that's been in the family for a while, it gets me to thinking about it's history.

My Nagant was originally owned by my father when he was stationed in Alaska. He used to use it for BIG game hunting up there. For a while, that rifle lived with my uncle in ME. My uncle, a firefighter passed a few years ago. The service was something to be seen. He was well respected, and had earned the title of hero more times than once, and in his own Modesty would never allow anyone to call him that.
At his service, after all the prayers had been said, and the honor guard had finished their tribute, the preacher gave an open floor, for anyone to tell the church a story about uncle Johnny. They were all funny, and helped to ease the pain and mourning we were all feeling over our loss.
One of the stories was from a neighbor who during one particular hunting season, had heard a shot from in the field behind his house. Well, he called my aunt to ask if Johnny was out hunting. She said yes he was, and asked why. They man said that he had heard a shot, and was thinking maybe Johnny had gotten a deer, and that Patrick (my cousin) should go see if he needed help dragging out his deer. I guess the conversation went like this.
My aunt: "Well, how many shots did you hear"?
The man: "Just one"
My aunt: "Well that sure ain't Johnny, and if it was, the deer probably isn't dead yet"

Well, living where they do, the town is small, and everyone hunts... The church erupted in laughter...

That's what I think about every time I clean that rifle now....

Adam

As for the ammo... Those 2 boxes of LC ammo are untouched. They are still full, and all have a headstamp of LC46 on them. Is it worth anything to keep around and not shoot? If it's blasting ammo, is it corrosive?

It is probably worth some money to a cartridge collector or as props for pics like you have taken. I would not shoot it. As far as being corrosive, IIRC that close to WWII it may well have been. But you might get a better answer over on the M-1 Carbine forum at http://www.jouster.com , losts of more knowledgeable people there.

Ya, Adam great stories! It's neat that you have some history to go with the rifle. That sort of stuff is what makes something like that, priceless.

Adam, very nice, great job with the images!

LC is the most common, and for that lot date is non-corrosive from what I have been told, I would not fire them, save them.

I would have said if the headstamp was LM, I would have asked to buy them. I am looking for any .30 or .50BMG with the LM headstamp as posted in a post on one of the other area's.

Great rifle and some great memories to go with it!

Personally I wouldn't shoot the ammo, just due to it's possible collectors value and uniqueness. Besides, it does make a great prop or conversation piece. IIRC all US manufactured M-1 Carbin ammo was non-corrosive, it was developed using non-corrosive primers.

Enjoy the rifle.
CD

I was watching a rerun of American Riflemen which featured a M1 Carbine segment. While shooting the firearm he had a few failure to feed and failure to eject. Who knows what happened during the editing. You would think the NRA would go for the good ammo....

I'd love to pick one up but not at the current pricing. The newest commercial versions really capture the look of the original one not that they dumped the metal handguard.

Nice rifle. The M-1 carbine has always been one of my favorite firearms.

I would love to buy a CMP M-1 should they ever become available again.

Sweet rifle, Adam, and the memories are even better! Suggestion for you: cut and paste what you wrote into a doc file and print it out to keep with the rifle - for YOUR kids. They'll appreciate it!

Wicked nice Adam. I just got one myself. I love it. Well I love all my guns. But I love that one a little more then some the others.

Back
Top Bottom