M&P versus P99

M

maitresaman

I need some help. I'm looking to buy a gun for the first time. I've done my research and have narrowed it down to the S&W M&P and the Walther P99. The P99 feels better in my hand but I have not found a place to shoot it. I have tried the M&P in both the 9 and the 40. I like it but still am not sure.

How do they compare (firing, accuracy, maintenance, reliability)?

Which is better?

Any ideas on where to find the P99 for rental in the DC metro area?

If it were me I'd do the M&P without question. I have the M&P in 9 and .40 S&W. I don't own, nor desire to own the P99.

The M&P ergonomics and function are superior. I don't like the P99 mag releases and the decocker.

IMO they are two different animals and a direct comparison really isn't valid, except maybe in the case of the P99QA. In that case, I'd take
the M+P any day of the week, mainly because the QA has that stupid "press here to disable firearm" button on the top of it. (once that
button is pressed, the gun cannot be fired unless the slide is cycled
again, at least partially).

Another problem is size.... a P99 is more of a "mid size" gun whereas
with the M+P the guns don't really come in that size format.

-Mike

IMO they are two different animals and a direct comparison really isn't valid, except maybe in the case of the P99QA. In that case, I'd take
the M+P any day of the week, mainly because the QA has that stupid "press here to disable firearm" button on the top of it. (once that
button is pressed, the gun cannot be fired unless the slide is cycled
again, at least partially).

Another problem is size.... a P99 is more of a "mid size" gun whereas
with the M+P the guns don't really come in that size format.

-Mike

What do you mean by "midsize"? I would be looking at the P99AS not the compact in either?

I'm an M&P guy, but I recommend you try them both out and simply see what you like better.

The Smith and Wesson Shooting Sports Center in Springfield should have M&Ps and SW99s available for trying out. I think it's $25, and they sell them right there, too.

The Smith and Wesson Shooting Sports Center in Springfield should have M&Ps and SW99s available for trying out. I think it's $25, and they sell them right there, too.

Man, that's a long drive from the "DC Metro area", but I guess if you're dedicated and have a spare 10 hours or so....

Do an internet search for gun shops in your area, then make a few calls. There are probably one or two public ranges (most likely in Northern Virginia) that have an example of each for you to test-fire.

Good Luck!

Man, that's a long drive from the "DC Metro area", but I guess if you're dedicated and have a spare 10 hours or so....

Do an internet search for gun shops in your area, then make a few calls. There are probably one or two public ranges (most likely in Northern Virginia) that have an example of each for you to test-fire.

Good Luck!

I'm from the DC/Metro area. It's only about a 5 1/2 hour drive.

I had a m&p fs 40 cal and walther p99 9mm. I couldn't shoot the m&p.I can't miss with the walter. I like the walther trigger much better. I know I could have got a trigger job on the smith ,didn't like it enough to spend the $85 on it. I traded the m&p in.maybe if I got the m&p in 9mm I would of liked it.[thinking][flame]

M&P vs. P99

I own both. The M&P is a far better pistol after you have the mass. compliant trigger modified.
I love my M&P. I also own a G23 and G22 and a S&W1911.

On the other thread I posted similar info. M&P with MA trigger is NOT the same animal compared to the '"std" or modified "std" trigger. I wouln't consider using a MA M&P without the changes.

I prefer the P99 AS trigger over the QA trigger, and I prefer the "Non MA" standard S&W trigger over both walther triggers.

I guess I need to find someplace that has both for me to try. Haven't been able to so far in the my area. Not trying to take a road trip.

For those that have both, which is more accurate?

What do you mean by "midsize"? I would be looking at the P99AS not the compact in either?

Midsize as in a regular P99AS being about the same size class as something like a G23, G19, HK P2000, etc.

The M+P full and compact lines are bigger and smaller than this class, respectively. It may or may not make a
difference in your purchasing decision.

-Mike

What I like about the SW99 (p99) is it comes in a .45. Plan on picking one up shortly...[

IIRC you can't buy these new anymore- I think they might
still make them in the SW99OL version but I'm not
sure.

I owned one and it was a decent gun, but it does have its
limitations. The guns really don't like +P ammo at all, for
instance.

-Mike

My M&P9 is currently at Greg Derr getting a trigger job and night sights installed. I'll report back when I get a chance to use it. I had seriously considered trading it but I decided to keep it and make it work. The MA trigger really sucks though.

You know what assumptions do right?

I may not own a gun but that doesn't mean I haven't fired one.

I don't think he was trying to insult you- rather he is suggesting that the practical accuracy of the gun is greater than what most shooters, even proficient ones, are capable of exploiting out of the platform on a regular basis, for the intended purpose. (eg, a P99 is typically sold as a defensive pistol, so the accuracy standard does not have to be as good as that of a handgun which is oriented towards slow fire bullseye competition at 25 and maybe 50 yards. With most "combat" handguns as long as the accuracy isn't atrocious it's often more than enough to do the job.

I have been shooting handguns for awhile now, and I will be the first person to concede that most of the guns I own are "mechanically better than I am"; eg, if I don't get the results I want in shooting them it's generally (my) fault and not anything I can blame on a mechanical accuracy deficiency of the gun itself. [laugh] As a result,
most of them "shoot better than I do." Hence the term.

-Mike

You know what assumptions do right?

I may not own a gun but that doesn't mean I haven't fired one.

I wasn't trying to insult you. I'm pretty much a noob. Basically just saying that those are both good guns and both are accurate. Unless you're a hall of fame shooter i doubt you would be able to tell (by shooting) which gun is technically "more accurate".

However, i will address your original question. During my basic pistol class i took in january to apply for my LTC i got to shoot both guns in 9mm. Before that i had my heart set on getting a sig229 once i got my license. I held a sig239 (didnt get to shoot though) during basic pistol and immediately decided that it was an incredibly uncomfortable gun to hold (for me).

I shot the walther p99 first and did ok with it. Then i shot the M&P9 and it was even more comfortable than the walther (which is also very ergonomic). My groups were way tighter and it just felt natural to me to aim it and all my shots hit POA.

So for me the decision is clear that i am getting an M&P. Your decision could be different. Maybe you'll decide that neither is right for you after shooting them both. I'll probably still get a sig one day but i think it's best if my first carry gun be one that i know i can shoot well and is comfortable.

Point is take any "which gun is better" advice on an internet message board with a giant grain of salt. You'll find people on message boards that swear any "plastic" gun is a POS. Others might say 1911's suck.

The only "which gun is better" advice I have received on the internet that isn't totally subjective and biased is when someone says to shoot it before buying it.

Back
Top Bottom