M&P Shield 9mm

I use a High Noon (High Noon Holsters in FL) for my Shield. Fits well and has a tension screw. Great for IWB carry.

Ya I like the High Noon Holsters, I use them right now for my M&P FS and Compact.

I like the Sky High =.highnoonholsters/_Sky_High/_sky_high.= but they don't make it for the Shield with the Laser Max or the Crimson Trace (what I have on my Shield).

They do make it in the Slide Guard =.highnoonholsters.com/_Slide_Guard/= though.

The Skin Tight is the cheaper holster to the Sky High and the Skin Guard is the cheaper holster to the Slide Guard. Those are still good holsters, they just aren't as good a leather as the others.

I like Thumb Break Holsters and High Noon told me that they don't have any plans to make the Sky High for the Shield's with lasers (which I think is stupid) so that's why I ordered the Kirkpatrick holster.

I love the Kirkpatrick holster, I ordered some for my other M&P's and my 1911's and they are a real well made holster and I can wear them without having to adjust them all the time, so they fit real good also.

Attachments

• S&W Shield 2.jpg
    S&W Shield 2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 84
  • S&W Shield 1.jpg
    S&W Shield 1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 84
I ended up getting the Little Foxx Holster from Foxx Holsters. Only $39 and approx a week to arrive to my door step.

This is my first EVER IWB carry holster so take my opinion with a grain of salt as I have no other reference points. Some key observations:

1. Conceal: Barely any printing. I have a slimmer frame (5'7" 145lbs) and you can see the pictures
  2. Comfort: Definitely know it's there at all times. Does have a smaller footprint than a crossbreed type, but you can still feel it on your back (i wear it 4 -5 oclock position). May be too early to tell since I have to break in the leather. But all in all, I'd say comfort is good (again keep in mind i have no other reference points). On the plus side, it doesnt dig into my back when riding in the car (but this may depend on your build and seat type)
  3. Construction: Solid build and materials (Kydex + Leather). Tuckable. You can adjust retention and choose between angle vs. straight (for appendix carry). I can't quite figure out how to reholster without using two hands, however. Probably has to do with the fact it only has one clip and as a result it moves up and down as I pull out or try to reholster. This may be fixed with a wider 1.5" belt (if anyone can confirm this, that'd be great!)
  4. Other Considerations: Service is great! Prompt response on phone and email. 14 trial period! Can't beat that. I'm still deciding if this is holster for me. I may either wanna try getting dual clip IWB holster or get a wider belt or both. But for the price + quick turnaround you really cant go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 175
  • holster.jpg
    holster.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 113
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 124
  • slant.jpg
    slant.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 120
Major let down. First mag at the range and I notice something missing. Count me with the people who had sight dots fall out... :(

tyvyrepe.jpg

Major let down. First mag at the range and I notice something missing. Count me with the people who had sight dots fall out... :(

tyvyrepe.jpg

Its ok it did it on mine, just take some white out and put a drop in it.

Most factory sights are replaced by night sights of some kind from users.

I myself will be ordering the meprolight night sights for my shield.

Wow that sucks, it hasn't happened to mine.

I got a set of XS Big Dots to put on mine, I just haven't had the time to do them yet.

Call S&W, they will replace them for you, and if you become green you can drop them off at the Guard Booth when we do the S&W Tour and maybe get your gun back before we leave...

True I was thinking about night sights anyway. Just a bummer that i literally didnt even get through the first mag. Anyone have opinions on truglo tfo? I've been reading the regular M&P sights fit on the shield.

Seems to be a QA issue... Picked up my Shield last week, put 200 rounds through it today, so long white dot.

photo.jpeg

I took my to the range today and put a couple hundred rounds down the pipe and didn't have any issues. The apex trigger kit is sweet. I shot it back to back with my glock 19 and I shot the shield almost as well as the glock. I was very surprised....

At the 2013 IDPA S&W Indoor Nationals, one of the stages used a Shield as a pickup gun. The front sight dot had fallen out on that gun as well. [laugh]

It's no big deal. Just go to a hobby store and buy a little jar of white paint. Clean the front sight with alcohol, let it dry, then use either a small paintbrush or toothpick to put a drop of paint in the sight.

Just painted the logo on the slide in Gold. Looks great IMO. Also painted in the front post with white nail polish and it works the charm!

Attachments

• IMG_20130223_201019.jpg
    IMG_20130223_201019.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20130223_201210.jpg
    IMG_20130223_201210.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20130223_201135.jpg
    IMG_20130223_201135.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0707.jpg
    IMAG0707.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 93
I'd like green rear sigts and a red front sight.
I could go with these HiViz sights M&P Shield - Smith & Wesson - Handgun Sights - Products

Or these Tru Glo sights. TRUGLO Brite-Site Sight Set S&W M&P SD9 SD40 Steel Fiber Optic Red

Opinions on these? I've never had fiber optic sights. How often do they need to be replaced? One brand better than the other?

Other options?

I have a Dawson fiber on the front of my full-size competition M&P, and will probably do the same on my new Shield. The fiber filaments are very easy to replace if they break. It has broken once on me in about 18 months, but I've replaced it a few times as I've switched back and forth between red and green (I prefer red). I find that fiber is great for outdoors, but not as useful with normal indoor lighting.

That's really good to know as I'll be shooting primarily indoors.
Maybe fiber optics weren't a good idea then. I'll keep looking.

Do any of you have a compact M&P that you can compare it to? Is it allot more concealable? I have a M&P 40c and found that it was impossible to IWB and tough to OWB. I bought a PM9 which is GTG.

It is similar in thickness to a PM9, but a bit longer and taller. If you already have a PM9, I have a hard time seeing what a Shield would do that the PM9 wouldn't do as well.

Agreed i was just wondering how you guys like it. The PM9 in a Mitch Rosen IWB is a great set up in my opinion. I can't IWb with the M&P 40c or 226 so I bought the PM. I have a Bodyguard 380 as well but I wanted the 9mm, not too much of a difference when it comes to concealment.

Agreed i was just wondering how you guys like it. The PM9 in a Mitch Rosen IWB is a great set up in my opinion. .

I have a PM9, but I won't ever wear it in a belt holster. For me it is purely a pocket gun. If I'm going to carry in a belt holster, I can carry a much bigger gun that is far easier to shoot. On the "just a little bit bigger" size, I've got a K9. On the much bigger, I have IWB holsters for my Glock 23 and 1911s.

I have a PM9, but I won't ever wear it in a belt holster. For me it is purely a pocket gun. If I'm going to carry in a belt holster, I can carry a much bigger gun that is far easier to shoot. On the "just a little bit bigger" size, I've got a K9. On the much bigger, I have IWB holsters for my Glock 23 and 1911s.

You're a better man than me being able to comfortably IWB a 1911 or a 23. It's ****ing uncomfortable as hell if i try to even stuff my M&P 40c in my pants. The PM9 is ideal, can't even tell it's there after a while. If i have a jacket on I'll rock the 226 OWB with the pre-ban 15 rounder. If I'm going out with one layer it's gotta be the PM9 IWB. I ****ing hate checking myself to see if I'm showing or printing.

I tied to carry a small PPS like this:
url]

it worked, until I had to sit in the office to do work for 10 hours. I had to take it off after 5 minutes I couldn't take it anymore and had to move the holster to an almost 3:00 position.

The PM9 was the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I spent a shitload of money on it, isn't the prettiest firearm, but it's real small, 9mm, and I dont notice it IWB which is KEY.

You're a better man than me being able to comfortably IWB a 1911 or a 23. It's ****ing uncomfortable as hell if i try to even stuff my M&P 40c in my pants. The PM9 is ideal, can't even tell it's there after a while. If i have a jacket on I'll rock the 226 OWB with the pre-ban 15 rounder. If I'm going out with one layer it's gotta be the PM9 IWB. I ****ing hate checking myself to see if I'm showing or printing.

Are your pants and belt 1" or more larger than normal? The pants that I wear have elastic waistbands, so they expand. As for showing, as long as your cover garment is long enough, it won't show. As for printing, be aware that you'll never be able to conceal it from yourself, but just because you notice it doesn't mean that others will.

But if you positively don't want it to print and want the most comfort, then pocket carry is the way to go.

I've never shot a 1911 but the trigger looks awesome.
Someone make me an aftermarket 1911 trigger for my Shield.
Please and thank you.

Titty Sprinkles,

John

What are you guys using for night sights?

OK I just spent some time replacing my sights with my XS Big Dot Sights...

I love those sights, others hate them, but I love them (see photo's)...

The front sight came off easy, the back sight came off a little harder, but no were near the horror storys I have heard about the rear sight...

I also got my APEX Kit in...

I checked my trigger pull and it was at 11.5 Lbs (MA gun), after I installed everything but the trigger spring I rechecked it, I was down to 7.5 Lb's... I had heard of the pull being different if you didn't install the trigger spring, I thouight it was the other way around than what it turned out to be...

I took it apart again and added the APEX trigger spring, I than put everything back together and rechecked the trigger poundage, I am down to 6.5 Lbs now...

So the APEX will give a Mass gun a 6.5 Lb trigger and it feels real good... It's not gritty, it pulls reel smooth, in short I like it...

I would think that once I get out and shoot it some the trigger poundage will come down some more...

I'll get out to shoot it soon and let you all know how it works...

Attachments

• S&W Shield 14.jpg
    S&W Shield 14.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 56
  • S&W Shield 15.jpg
    S&W Shield 15.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 71
Nice - Thanks for sharing.
Is just the parallax from the camera angle or does the front sight look a bit off to the left in the second Pic ?

OK I just spent some time replacing my sights with my XS Big Dot Sights...

I love those sights, others hate them, but I love them (see photo's)...

The front sight came off easy, the back sight came off a little harder, but no were near the horror storys I have heard about the rear sight...

I also got my APEX Kit in...

I checked my trigger pull and it was at 11.5 Lbs (MA gun), after I installed everything but the trigger spring I rechecked it, I was down to 7.5 Lb's... I had heard of the pull being different if you didn't install the trigger spring, I thouight it was the other way around than what it turned out to be...

I took it apart again and added the APEX trigger spring, I than put everything back together and rechecked the trigger poundage, I am down to 6.5 Lbs now...

So the APEX will give a Mass gun a 6.5 Lb trigger and it feels real good... It's not gritty, it pulls reel smooth, in short I like it...

I would think that once I get out and shoot it some the trigger poundage will come down some more...

I'll get out to shoot it soon and let you all know how it works...

Thanks so much for the spring info. I called APEX but they didn't know if their spring would be lighter than what we have. Luckily I ended up ordering the whole kit as opposed to just the sear. ( Since their springs bring the trigger pull UP on a free state version )

Those big dots look good. I'm thinking about putting those on. Is it me or are yours a bit off center? Could be the angle, but the rear sight looks off to the right while the front looks off to the left. Either way, they look like nice sights.

Nice - Thanks for sharing.
Is just the parallax from the camera angle or does the front sight look a bit off to the left in the second Pic ?

Actually, for some reason, the rear sight looks too far to the right, and the front sight is too far to the left.

Back
Top Bottom