• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Shield 9mm

I understand (at least from a few dealers in MA) that the Shields are backordered and have been so for some time. For those of you that have ordered Shields in the last few months, have any been delivered for pickup? I'm also curious if anyone has had luck buying the Shield online and having it shipped to a MA FFL. If so, through whom have you purchased the firearm?

Lastly, what magazine configuration comes standard: 8 or 7 +1 (or one of each)? Thanks in advance.

I was 13th on a wait list and got mine a while ago...

You get one of each magazine, a flush fit 7 round and a magazine with a grip extension that is 8 rounds...

I added the Crimson Trace Laser...

Unless it is a MASS OKed gun I think that no one will ship it here for you to pick it up at a MASS Dealer, even if they do that MASS Dealer would get in trouble if he sold it to you I believe (if it wasn't a MA OKed gun)...

Here's the S&W webpage for the MA 9mm (SKU # 180051):

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_812563_-1_757753_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Attachments

• S&W Shield 1.jpg
    S&W Shield 1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 351
  • S&W Shield 2.jpg
    S&W Shield 2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
How do you like it?

I really like it, I have gotten the APEX kit for it to fix the trigger...

The MA Trigger isn't that bad, but I want it "cleaned up" and the APEX will do that...

I also bought the XS Big Dot sights for it, I love those sights...

I had bought a officer size S&W 1911 that I was going to start using as my daily carry, BUT the SHIELD may just find it's way into my holster instead...

I carry a M&P compact 40 right now...

I understand (at least from a few dealers in MA) that the Shields are backordered and have been so for some time. For those of you that have ordered Shields in the last few months, have any been delivered for pickup? I'm also curious if anyone has had luck buying the Shield online and having it shipped to a MA FFL. If so, through whom have you purchased the firearm?

Lastly, what magazine configuration comes standard: 8 or 7 +1 (or one of each)? Thanks in advance.

4 Seasons indicated they are working on delivering Oct orders.

I was on a wait list from September and got the call about 3 weeks ago. The shield is my EDC. I Like the size and the trigger. I actually prefer the 7 round mag because its a little easier to conceal.

If I remember correctly, back in September, I was #15 on the wait list and it still took 4 months.

I was on a wait list from September and got the call about 3 weeks ago. The shield is my EDC. I Like the size and the trigger. I actually prefer the 7 round mag because its a little easier to conceal.

If I remember correctly, back in September, I was #15 on the wait list and it still took 4 months.

Congrats Bctattoo. At least it shows that there is some incoming movement within MA. Gives the rest of us hope. [grin]

i love me shield, go it a while ago, had my gunsmith do some work on it, and love it ! best summer carry gun i own, its the only gun i can appendix carry. i also prefer the 7rd mags, i took off the extension sleeve on the 8 round mag, and carry it like that instead. i find extension sleeves more of a hazard in a gunfight than a plus.

i love me shield, go it a while ago, had my gunsmith do some work on it, and love it ! best summer carry gun i own, its the only gun i can appendix carry. i also prefer the 7rd mags, i took off the extension sleeve on the 8 round mag, and carry it like that instead. i find extension sleeves more of a hazard in a gunfight than a plus.

You might want to leave the sleeves on...

I have been talking with some of the major magazine makers and they told me that if you do not have the sleeve on there that the magazine will move around and cause the gun not to fire...

I talked with 3 or 4 magazine company's and they all told me that...

Now that's not bad on the range or in a match, but if it was in a self defence time and it doesn't go bang that will be trouble...

I was trying to get mags for my officers 1911 and too use the mag sleeves for those mags you can only us certain mags or the sleeve will not on the magazine...

Last edited:
I put up a deposit in April '12 and took delivery Oct '12, long wait for sure. Thought I was overlooked but nope, it eventually arrived.

I didn't like the mag sleeves shifting either, so I ordered some Talon grips and they come with a piece that covers the baseplate and sleeve - keeps the sleeve in place:

2013-02-05_07-26-46_245_zpsf3a8297b.jpg

It's been on there for a few weeks and hasn't shifted.

I've the shield in 40, shoots well for what it is & handles very much like the full size M&P. Same issue with the heavy gritty trigger but more noticable with the thin single stack mag. I perfer to have the gun tuned then having the trigger spring replaced. Feeds everything I have put in it. Good job S&W

Cool, seems like a nice gun I just can't seem to buy one though. Having a hard time thinking it can replace my glock 26

Kind of in the same boat. I have a 19 for my current edc and cant decide to get a 26 or shield for those days I want something a little smaller

They have one left and can't seem to take payment over the phone or hold it for me to drive out from Boston... Pretty half ass operation if you ask me..

I have a 9 and I love it. I did get the APEX trigger kit, I would have to say it is a must, makes it as smooth and slick as butter. Sets a nice reset too. I also got the Talon grips and the CT Laser. After all is said and done it's my favorite CCW.

All this talk about shields, i think i want one as a carry gun! I've definitely gotta handle one first though.

Back
Top Bottom