Lyman Product Recall - Tumbler

Last week I purchased a Lyman Turbo Tumbler 2500 from Midway. I received a telephone call today from Midway informing me that these tumblers were being recalled by Lyman. The caller didn't specify what exactly was wrong other then saying it had something to do with the "weights." I have no idea what this exactly means, but it apparently is important enough that Lyman has asked their distributors to contact their customers to return the item. The replacements will not be available for 3-4 weeks. The caller also said I could contact Lyman directly and I will try to do so tomorrow. I will post additional information after I have reached someone at Lyman.

I have stopped using the tumbler for now until I am able to determine what danger, if any, is involved.

Midway did say that they would reimburse me for shipping the product back.

Stay tuned.

UPDATE: I spoke with Lyman service today, 06/10/08. The representative didn't know the exact nature of the problem, but said that they had a "bad run" and would rather deal with the problem up front then to have customers complaining about the product in the future.

He gave me return instructions and said that they would get a replacement unit out to me as soon as possible, but that it would take about a month. He apologized for the inconvenience and thanked me for my patience. He said the replacement unit would be "of better quality" and would be problem free.

Midway said they would reimburse me shipping costs. Lyman didn't mention this, so I don't know if they will or not. I will probably ship to Lyman, hoping that they will satisfy their direct customers quicker.

If you need to contact them their telephone number is 1-800-225-9626.

Last edited:
I went through four Lyman tumblers in six weeks. They told me that they had a bad batch of motors and wouldn't ship out a replacement until new motors arrived. They did send a replacement last weeks although they never did reimburse me for the shipping. Sending back four units cost almost thirty dollars which was getting close to the cost of the unit itself.

I've never seen anything posted from Lyman concerning units. The third unit started smoking when I shut it down. The fourth lasted two days.

That is a serious run of bad motors!

I've had my Lyman since about 1986 and never a problem.

My first one lasted five years and I did not treat it kindly. Then I replaced it with a larger model to accommodate the large caliber rifle cartridges and large loads of handgun cartridges. It was getting to be a joke. First one ran five weeks. Second two weeks. The third a week and the fourth two days. So far the fifth has run for a week and a half. Mine was also a 2500 model. I now have an extra bowl and other parts as I returned only the motor and they returned another unit complete....

I had to drive to Connecticut today so I took a little detour and visited Lyman to drop off my recalled tumbler. The nice lady at the front desk didn't know anything about the recall. Her comment was something along the lines of "I wish they'd tell me these things." Since it was the day before a holiday there was no one in customer service I could speak to. I'm not exactly filled with confidence at this point, especially after reading some of the previous posts. [crying]

The sad part is that the unit worked fine the two times that I did use it before I got the recall notice. I am a little disappointed in Lyman. I started reloading decades ago on a Lyman Spartan press and have bought many of their products over the years. I still have many of their dies that are still in use and turning out excellent reloads.

I wish I had examined the unit I returned more closely. I suspect that "Made In China" was stamped somewhere on it.....

She wouldn't know anything because Lyman has no recall in effect. This is something Midway has taken upon themselves.

She wouldn't know anything because Lyman has no recall in effect. This is something Midway has taken upon themselves.

Hmmm...interesting, because when I originally called Lyman the customer service person I spoke with said that they (Lyman) were recalling the tumblers. Additionally, the person who called from Midway said I could return the unit to Midway or Lyman. I can't swear to it, but I also believe he said that Lyman had contacted Midway to recall the units.

[hmmm] Actually, I don't really care who recalls it at this point as long as I eventually end up with a working tumbler; preferably one that won't burn down the house! [wink]

I've been unable to find anything from Lyman directing a recall. I purchased mine from Natchez and they never contacted me concerning a recall. This might be a private deal between Midway and Lyman. After all, a manufacturer wouldn't want to piss off one of their biggest customers and refuse to take back these defective units.

In any case, hopefully they fixed the problem and the new batch will function properly.

I have had a Thumblers tumbler for over 25 years. I have even used it to moly large batches of bullets. It still runs fine.
When Lyman first came out with their model 450 bullet sizer/ luber, I broke two handles during sizing, they replaced them both and the second had a much thicker web. This was at no charge.
I lost two of their bottom pour lead furnaces, then went to an RCBS which has been great for around 20 years. I did not like the Lee furnace.

Their hobby version looks exactly like the Lyman I had the problem with recently. However the industrial various might be a better choice for me in the future.

Back
Top Bottom