• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

300 Blackout - Lyman 311467

pastera

NES Member
I have no self control as shown by my ordering a 300AAC upper to finish out an 80% on the shelf. Was saving for a nice shotgun but the upper was on sale and the draw was too much.

So now I have an upper on the way with no ammo or dies to support it

Did find a set of Lee dies for non-rapey prices but need to figure out modifying and forming cases.

I have a Lyman 311467 mold that drops a 180gn gas checked bullet.
Any experience with that bullet in blackout?
Think I can get away with hitek or lube without a gas check if I keep velocity low?

I have no self control as shown by my ordering a 300AAC upper to finish out an 80% on the shelf. Was saving for a nice shotgun but the upper was on sale and the draw was too much.

Did find a set of Lee dies for non-rapey prices but need to figure out modifying and forming cases.

Think I can get away with hitek or lube without a gas check if I keep velocity low?

Johnny's Reloading Bench youtube channel has all types of very good info on 300 BLK

I cut the cases to length and put them through my lee sizing die with a smidge more lube than normal.

Gas check is fine. Treat it like a 30-30 really. The 30-30 isn’t that far off from 300 BO.
Both run about the same nominal weights and speeds.
A 180 can be moved around 1800 or so which is well within the working range of a gas checked bullet. The blackout twist is probably faster than 30-30 nominal twist but I think you have room to work with.

I did mostly subsonics with my blackout. I stuck with a 198 grain 311365 from NOE. I left the gas check off and shot them coated with hi-tek.

I can’t say I worked up any amazing accuracy load but it was fun to play with. I dropped it for the 350 legend and haven’t played with either in a while.

One note is that running Lee dies to convert to 223/556 brass was not good. The dies did not size the brass down enough and it lead to feeding issues.
Supposedly they work OK if you anneal the brass first.

I found the RCBS Small base dies worked great on brass even without annealing.

Eddy Coyle has a great article on choosing the right brass. I think it’s on his website.

I gave up on 300 and sold my upper but IIRC cut just below the shoulder of your brass measure wall thickness -.012” for what ever reason sticks in my head. Run it through the die. I did not have any problems with the lee dies.
I used plain base 130 gn cast right up to 200 grain 311299s gas checked 2500+ lube
Both gave me about 3 moa. At best

when it comes to cast its RPMs that get you in the faster twist barrels.
Cast bullets are hitting max rpm around 120,000-140,000 rpm thats around 1900 fps for 1/10 twist
300bk is running faster 1/8 1/7 to get those slow heavy jacketed projectiles up to the rpm they need.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom