• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lunenburg area clubs.

I just moved to lunenburg from Templeton. I’m somewhat familiar with what’s around here but not totally. My question is this are there any clubs that offer a family membership that a great for both shooting and the social atmosphere. The reason I ask is my S.O. Enjoys going to the small sportsman’s clubs ha going out and being social while I go fishing shooting etc. I too like to to hang out as well.
I know Notth Leominster is a great place to shoot, and lunenburg a Portman’s is small and simple, but neither offer what she’d be interested in. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By social I
Mean she likes to have a few cold
Ones and hang out. Townsend isn’t far neither is Shirley

Is Harvard too far for you?

Pretty sure Harvard also bans consumption of alcohol on their property. Not sure if the OP means a few cold ones near by but Harvard does not promote alcohol consumption on their property regardless of whether you are or have finished shooting if memory serves me correctly.

I just moved to lunenburg from Templeton. I’m somewhat familiar with what’s around here but not totally. My question is this are there any clubs that offer a family membership that a great for both shooting and the social atmosphere. The reason I ask is my S.O. Enjoys going to the small sportsman’s clubs ha going out and being social while I go fishing shooting etc. I too like to to hang out as well. I know Notth Leominster is a great place to shoot, and lunenburg a Portman’s is small and simple, but neither offer what she’d be interested in. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By social I Mean she likes to have a few cold Ones and hang out. Townsend isn’t far neither is Shirley

There aren't really many clubs like that in nocentma. Most don't have/serve alcohol. Some are BYOB at best. Winchendon was the only one with anything resembling a real bar. Most clubs don't bother with that because of the BS/cost/risk/overhead involved. The trend among most clubs vs time is to get rid of that stuff. I think Gardner has a club that has a bar, too. (but I forget the name, havent been in 10 yrs) Fitchburg rod and gun has an informal crew of people that"hang out" out front and drink/smoke/whatever from time to time when the weather is nice. I think they used to sell beer long ago but it's a byob type deal now I think. Sometimes I'd bring my cooler and have a beer with my cigar after I had packed all my stuff in my car. Shirley has a nice clubhouse but unsure of booze policy or if its byob, etc. (or banned completely).

The other problem is, with the exception of Winchendon (they were always decent to me) a lot of the bar clubs have "problems" . For example friend of mine used to shoot pistols at royalston on weekends and the barflys would get pissed off whenever they had some social function inside (which was practically every weekend) and he's outside shooting. Those places (IMHO) are a complete waste of time.

No offense intended, but maybe she should just drop her off at a bar while you go do your thing, it'd make life a lot easier for you... [laugh]

-Mike

There aren't really many clubs like that in nocentma. Most don't have/serve alcohol. Some are BYOB at best. Winchendon was the only one with anything resembling a real bar. Most clubs don't bother with that because of the BS/cost/risk/overhead involved. The trend among most clubs vs time is to get rid of that stuff. I think Gardner has a club that has a bar, too. (but I forget the name, havent been in 10 yrs) Fitchburg rod and gun has an informal crew of people that"hang out" out front and drink/smoke/whatever from time to time when the weather is nice. I think they used to sell beer long ago but it's a byob type deal now I think. Sometimes I'd bring my cooler and have a beer with my cigar after I had packed all my stuff in my car. Shirley has a nice clubhouse but unsure of booze policy or if its byob, etc. (or banned completely).

The other problem is, with the exception of Winchendon (they were always decent to me) a lot of the bar clubs have "problems" . For example friend of mine used to shoot pistols at royalston on weekends and the barflys would get pissed off whenever they had some social function inside (which was practically every weekend) and he's outside shooting. Those places (IMHO) are a complete waste of time.

No offense intended, but maybe she should just drop her off at a bar while you go do your thing, it'd make life a lot easier for you... [laugh]

-Mike
I am thinking the same thing my old club was basically that way a social club with a range. Once the range got more active the range nazis where in full effect and it became all about little Sally’s birthday party and a whole other bunch of bs that limited fun.
I’m most likely going to join North Leominster as I was a former member and enjoyed the range. She’ll just have to do her own thing.

I am thinking the same thing my old club was basically that way a social club with a range. Once the range got more active the range nazis where in full effect and it became all about little Sally’s birthday party and a whole other bunch of bs that limited fun.
I’m most likely going to join North Leominster as I was a former member and enjoyed the range. She’ll just have to do her own thing.

Sounds like Templeton Fish & Game to me, such a shame.

Fitchburg sportsmans club right over the Ashby line over by Fitchburg High has a club house with a bar. Range isn't spectacular but it's about 100 yards. I haven't been there in a long time but might be worth checking it out. Welcome to Lunenburg. It's a great town.

Fitchburg sportsmans club right over the Ashby line over by Fitchburg High has a club house with a bar. Range isn't spectacular but it's about 100 yards. I haven't been there in a long time but might be worth checking it out. Welcome to Lunenburg. It's a great town.
I thought Fitchburg sportsman’s club was in ashburnham? It’s a bit of a haul I don’t have a ton of time I’m pretty sure I’m going to drop off an application to north Leominster it’s the best fit for me. She can go hang at the old Mickey sheas

Thanks she grew up here and I’m
New but I
Like it so far nice and quiet.

North Leominster seems pretty decent. A lotta trap happens there.
Right which isn’t my
Interest right now however the pistol and rigid range was always well maintained and not crazy busy. Paved right to the shooting are a little metal shack with a wood stove to keep you warm in the winter. She wanted a place to chill while I went it’s not happening in the immediate area

I thought Fitchburg sportsman’s club was in ashburnham? It’s a bit of a haul I don’t have a ton of time I’m pretty sure I’m going to drop off an application to north Leominster it’s the best fit for me. She can go hang at the old Mickey sheas

Thanks she grew up here and I’m
New but I
Like it so far nice and quiet.

It’s Fitchburg rod and gun club. My apologies. Fitchburg Sportsmans club is in ashburnham.

I live on Fitchburg/Lunenburg line. After researching I joined Harvard SC. Best club for me. If you like trap check out Leominter Rod and Gun club. Really nice club but they close down most of the other ranges when matches are going on, which are often.

If you want sometime you can come join me as a guest and check out the club. One great thing about Harvard is they let you bring guests. PM me.

I live on Fitchburg/Lunenburg line. After researching I joined Harvard SC. Best club for me. If you like trap check out Leominter Rod and Gun club. Really nice club but they close down most of the other ranges when matches are going on, which are often.

If you want sometime you can come join me as a guest and check out the club. One great thing about Harvard is they let you bring guests. PM me.
Thanks for the offer Larry. I’m just wondering if timing is be willing to make the ride. I’m always on a tight schedule and I’m on call for work so I need to be local, so I’d probably not make it there enough.

Back
Top Bottom