LTC Upgrade Experiences?

Hiltonizer

Banned
So, many of you may know based on past threads I received my LTC-B back in early January...

At the time of application (late November), I wasn't aware I couldn't open carry in a vehicle. So when the officer told me they typically don't issue A's to first time applicants, and asked if a B would be a problem, I didn't make an argument for an ALP.

Now, knowing I can't open carry in my vehicle, makes it pretty pointless to be able to open carry at all. At the very least, I'd like to be able to open carry to the range and a few other select places.

Open carrying is never a great idea in the first place, of this I have been always aware. But when I'm going straight to the range, it's a nuisance to lock up my 45 in the trunk, when I could just holster it.

I'd also like to pick up a smaller caliber handgun for variety, and a B limits my options quite significantly.

So my question is, who here has requested an upgrade, what was the outcome, what tips do you have, and how long do you suggest I wait? I'd feel foolish going back so quickly to my initial licensing.

Thanks.

Get your Maine and NH and Apply
Why? It shows that two other states recognize your rights and you don't even live in them before you apply.

So, many of you may know based on past threads I received my LTC-B back in early January...

At the time of application (late November), I wasn't aware I couldn't open carry in a vehicle. So when the officer told me they typically don't issue A's to first time applicants, and asked if a B would be a problem, I didn't make an argument for an ALP.

Now, knowing I can't open carry in my vehicle, makes it pretty pointless to be able to open carry at all. At the very least, I'd like to be able to open carry to the range and a few other select places.

Open carrying is never a great idea in the first place, of this I have been always aware. But when I'm going straight to the range, it's a nuisance to lock up my 45 in the trunk, when I could just holster it.

I'd also like to pick up a smaller caliber handgun for variety, and a B limits my options quite significantly.

So my question is, who here has requested an upgrade, what was the outcome, what tips do you have, and how long do you suggest I wait? I'd feel foolish going back so quickly to my initial licensing.

Thanks.

I suppose you could open carry on B, but if it is a bad idea on an LTC-A, why even push it with a B? Do you trust an LEO to know anything? I wouldnt.

IMHO, in this state and climate, I would consider open carry NOT an option unless you are on the job and the job requires a firearm (armed security, etc)

I suppose you could open carry on B, but if it is a bad idea on an LTC-A, why even push it with a B? Do you trust an LEO to know anything? I wouldnt.

IMHO, in this state and climate, I would consider open carry NOT an option unless you are on the job and the job requires a firearm (armed security, etc)

No argument with any of that... as I stated, the ability to open carry is useless is pretty much useless, especially when the only time you would use it is to travel to the range, and you can't even do so in your car.

I am not blaming my local LEO's for not informing me I couldn't open carry in transit, I should have looked at the MGL more closely.

This is why I'm inquiring if anyone has experience in attempting an upgrade from B to ALP.

No argument with any of that... as I stated, the ability to open carry is useless is pretty much useless, especially when the only time you would use it is to travel to the range, and you can't even do so in your car.

I am not blaming my local LEO's for not informing me I couldn't open carry in transit, I should have looked at the MGL more closely.

This is why I'm inquiring if anyone has experience in attempting an upgrade from B to ALP.

I would talk to your PD and tell them that you realized you are too restrictive and can't do:

1. Buy a lot of guns that you would with an LTC-A
2. Have a difficult time getting licenses in other states because they see that you have a restricted or non-full license

I would talk to your PD and tell them that you realized you are too restrictive and can't do:

2. Have a difficult time getting licenses in other states because they see that you have a restricted or non-full license

this is your best bet. Any town that gives out LTC-B and then upgrades later usually dont plan 2 months to be the upgrade timeframe, unfortunately. They typical trend is anywhere from a year to the full renewal time. Again it never hurts to talk to your LEO,

FWIW, I learned there is no "upgrade" per se. It's a another application, another $100. In a polite conversation with my local LEO, I told him that the laws are a mess. I pointed out that an LTC-B owner can't buy the a Model 41 (made for target shooting) but can buy a Sig 239 (made for concealed carry). We laughed and I now have an A. My LTC-A was processed 6 months after my original application.

Back
Top Bottom