LTC holder uses gun for self defense in Quincy, has LTC/gun(s) seized.

Read the entire fee structure. There is a fee for checking the gun in. Another fee for checking the gun out. A third fee for transferring the gun so someone other than the person it was confiscated from. A daily fee (which would be over $500 a month for my modest collection). Plus, you can be stuck in "fee accrual mode" for weeks if the warehouse keeper is traveling or on vacation. Oh, and you ammo and magazines created up (I think they use milk crates) and each crate is billed as a gun.

The desire is not to collect "reasonable fee" but to seize the gun at no cost.

When a confiscation order issued, you MUST surrender them to the police.

Except when they are in "revenge mode" for pissing them off, the police concern is "get these guns out of here, they are taking up space". The goal is to have your designated dealer at the PD, with your written release, before they have a chance to have the theftmobile swing by. I don't doubt that some PDs are vindictive "just because", but many will do a legal transfer if you make it easy for them. If you start saying things like "just hold onto the guns, I'll get a dealer hear some day soon" your chances go down compared to "my dealer will be here within the hour".
Same goes for Title 2 firearms or is that another animal in itself?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Read the entire fee structure. There is a fee for checking the gun in. Another fee for checking the gun out. A third fee for transferring the gun so someone other than the person it was confiscated from. A daily fee (which would be over $500 a month for my modest collection). Plus, you can be stuck in "fee accrual mode" for weeks if the warehouse keeper is traveling or on vacation. Oh, and you ammo and magazines created up (I think they use milk crates) and each crate is billed as a gun.

The desire is not to collect "reasonable fee" but to seize the gun at no cost.

When a confiscation order issued, you MUST surrender them to the police.

Except when they are in "revenge mode" for pissing them off, the police concern is "get these guns out of here, they are taking up space". The goal is to have your designated dealer at the PD, with your written release, before they have a chance to have the theftmobile swing by. I don't doubt that some PDs are vindictive "just because", but many will do a legal transfer if you make it easy for them. If you start saying things like "just hold onto the guns, I'll get a dealer hear some day soon" your chances go down compared to "my dealer will be here within the hour".
That shit there is British Colonies type robbery

i have two people from here on NES, that i would give my guns to incase of a defensive use.. immediately. never give it to a warehouse. my third option would be a gun store i shop at and they know me .

but in all honest , i just want to move out of this ****ing state and get up to maine

Hmm is this the key to avoiding confiscation? What I want to know is how long before they confiscate (or attempt) your arsenal after a home defense/self defense shooting?

I thought if you're ordered to surrender that's that. This thread has me all confused.

Last edited:
If I am reading the Quincy PD post correctly, the shooter was NOT arrested and charged with any crime, but his LTC was confiscated (and hence any and all guns that he owns are to be seized). Is this the standard procedure in MA in the aftermath of any type of shooting in which no charges are filed? If so, how can they get away with depriving somebody's constitutional right without due process?

i have two people from here on NES, that i would give my guns to incase of a defensive use.. immediately. never give it to a warehouse. my third option would be a gun store i shop at and they know me .

but in all honest , i just want to move out of this ****ing state and get up to maine
Lets run away together. [rofl]

Hmm is this the key to avoiding confiscation? What I want to know is how long before they confiscate (or attempt) your arsenal after a home defense/self defense shooting?

I thought if you're ordered to surrender that's that. This thread has me all confused.

I'm with Jay, what time frame do you get to call your dealer or friend to transfer/drop off the letter to the police? Or is it just a case by case/luck of the draw?

I believe I've read in previous threads that "having a licensed friend hold them" wasn't good enough. Had to be legally transferred. I.e. to or by an ffl. Now, it may differ depending on why the PD are confiscating guns. DGU? 209a/domestic sitch, mental deficiency? Other? Can you eFA10 them in this situation? Probably not if they have your ltc.

Last edited:
Somehow a road rage incident evolved into a passenger charging at a licensed gun owner in some womans back yard.

This clearly passes the sniff test for a good shoot.

I believe I've read in previous threads that "having a licensed friend hold them" wasn't good enough. Had to be legally transferred. I.e. to or by an ffl. Now, it may differ depending on why the PD are confiscating guns. DGU? 209a/domestic sitch, mental deficiency? Other? Can you eFA10 them in this situation? Probably not if they have your ltc.

Today at work I had the absolute joy of getting to give a notice of LTC suspension to a Canton resident. Because he came to my office with another MA LTC holder, I handed his Glock 43 to the licensed friend, and then took his LTC. Assuming he pays his court fees, he will get his LTC back, and his G43.

Every PD is different

Today at work I had the absolute joy of getting to give a notice of LTC suspension to a Canton resident. Because he came to my office with another MA LTC holder, I handed his Glock 43 to the licensed friend, and then took his LTC. Assuming he pays his court fees, he will get his LTC back, and his G43.

Every PD is different

Is non payment of court fees grounds for LTC "suspension"? Or was something else going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow a road rage incident evolved into a passenger charging at a licensed gun owner in some womans back yard.

This clearly passes the sniff test for a good shoot.

I'm not saying it was a good shoot, I'm saying that until they are actually going to charge him with something it's unreasonable to take all his guns away, and take his LTC (From my reading they weren't the licensing authority and had to call the other one to inform therefore the LTC isn't even revoked when they took it) before any kind of investigation.

I understand, even though I don't like it, that they would take the gun he was carrying as evidence but why jump the gun on the rest of them unless the plan from minute one is to let dowd steal his stuff as an extrajudicial punishment before even looking into what happened?

OK, so we are working on the assumption that he will never get his LTC or guns back, ever....
I didn't know that there was already an ending to this story, some of you guys seem to already know that his LTC and guns are gone forever.

Im pretty sure the guy will get back his LTC and guns if cleared of any wrong doing. And as I stated above, I don't agree with it.

Ask youself 1 question.. What state did this occur in?

Nuff Said

So can you or can you not have a licensed spouse or friend take possession of your guns instead of a dealer?

What the few remaining LE members here need to realize (not you GPP) is that even with a "clean shoot" the system is designed to be rife with abuse. You can tell yourself that all will be well in the end but the reality is once one enters the system there will be loss. Regardless of fault or victim status when it comes to guns...

I read what little of the story there is and a lot of the comments. If you are carrying a gun you certainly should not be initiating any road rage incidents. Additionally, whether you are carrying a gun or not if you are the target of an aggressor on the road, don't stop. Everyone today has a cell phone. And if you can afford a gun you can afford a cell phone. Call the police and give them as much information about the other driver or the car and location and just keep driving. Roll through red lights as safely as you can so you don't have top stop until the police catch up to you and the aggressor.

Anyway, I have no idea how this ended up in someone else's back yard or how it started and only a vague hint of why shots were fired. So I will wait for more information to pass
judgement. I hope the LTC guy comes out justified on this. But definitely need more info.

If you know the area well, just drive to the police station.....or a doughnut shop, whatever is closer...lol Just kidding about the doughnut shop....[smile]

Last edited:
This particular case came from a motor vehicle crash where the LTC holder was uninsured. Because that is a criminal charge as opposed to a civil one, he was summonsed in to court (after missing the clerks hearing that was initially set up). His arraignment was on the 21st (he thought it was the 31st) and he did not show up. A default warrant was issued yesterday (22cnd), and my PD was notified of that by the FRB, and that began the rest of the mess.
We contacted him, advised him of what was going on, and he hustled up to Stoughton District, saw the judge, received a disposition for the case ( dismissed with $200 court costs), and a recall warrant. When he pays the $200, he will come out of the penalty box after feeling shame, and get his LTC.

If youre charged criminally in MA, your LTC licensing authority will be notified automatically, oddly enough, its one of those systems within MA government that works flawlessly lol, I cant understand why.
Depending on the severity of those charges, your licensing authority will act accordingly.

What the few remaining LE members here need to realize (not you GPP) is that even with a "clean shoot" the system is designed to be rife with abuse. You can tell yourself that all will be well in the end but the reality is once one enters the system there will be loss. Regardless of fault or victim status when it comes to guns...

Id say it was designed with discretion in mind, and the discretion is what gets abused. Obviously thats just as a shitty sammich to eat as some all encompassing seizure rules that could be on the books instead.

the real mistake was stopping...should have driven right to the police station parking lot

Completely valid point.

We know zero details here, but trying to articulate how you followed the duty to retreat doctrine in the aftermath of a road rage incident is probably going to be next to impossible.

Completely valid point.

We know zero details here, but trying to articulate how you followed the duty to retreat doctrine in the aftermath of a road rage incident is probably going to be next to impossible.

+2

Completely valid point.

i know the last place i'm going is home to endanger my family...calling the cops and asking for the location of the closest police station to drive to would have been my first move...or just driving to one that i know where it is as long as i have fuel...the problem is obeying the driving laws while in town on the way to the station...what's stopping that guy from getting out of his car at a stop light?...would have to take a right or blow through the light

If you are worried about obeying traffic laws, then that would mean there would have to be a cop around. Isn't that what you want?

Back
Top Bottom