LTC expires weeks before moving out of MA - renew or not renew?

I think being an NRA Instructor will get you out of the live fire part, but you will need to take the law part of a course. Check out handgunlaw.usa and click on SC or contact SLED directly and ask.

I've already checked with a SC instructor, but will check.again.

Notification on move is an in replicate requirement.

Issuing PD, resident PD and FRB. Certified only.

I am aware of that, when you have a valid LTC, but why are you obligated to notify anyone if you do not hold a valid LTC?

Q1: Do you plan to move guns'n'ammo from MA to SC?
Q2: If so, are you hiding them in the moving truck,
or moving them in your own vehicle(s)?
Q1 - of course
Q2 - no idea yet, most likely the latter.

If I recall correctly,
the normal confusion is people who are moving to the third distinct town in 6 years,
think it's FRB, current and future, when it's really FRB, issuer and future.

There's also at least one
"I moved to NH and my new town's chief asked,
'WTF do you expect me to do with this? <Toss>'"
somewhere in the forums.

Which is swell until you hear your lawyer say,
"you sprang for return receipt, right?". [rofl]
I never bothered to "notify" the CLEO for my town in NH, just my hometown and the FRB that I moved. If the MA NR-LTC ever becomes real LTC, I might go for it in the future.

Or what I'm thinking of:

There's a two-car convoy, with OP is driving the vehicle
loaded to the gills with guns'n'ammo secured for FOPA.
Then the no-longer-licensed wife's car breaks down and they swap,
with OP hanging back until the repairs are done.

And then the unlicensed wife gets traffic-stopped and they search the vehicle.

Suddenly she's someone transporting weapons across state lines,
and the FOPA safe-harbor doesn't apply
because she's not legally licensed to possess them
in the state of origin.

But at least you saved $100 by skipping the LTC renewal application.
So you got that going for you.
Which is nice.

OK, good point.
And it's not about the $100, as far as I'm concerned, she just didn't see the point.

I've already checked with a SC instructor, but will check.again.
Don't check with an instructor, check with the issuing authority. I did this with ME SP (before ConCarry) and they said that my instructor creds was adequate instead of a course. I'll bet FL is like that too but when I got my FL license was before I was an instructor.

Count me in with those who advise her to start the renewal process. Much easier to deal with the moving notification process later than to have to deal with any delays in leaving this state.

Count me in with those who advise her to start the renewal process. Much easier to deal with the moving notification process later than to have to deal with any delays in leaving this state.
This.
I personally did the same thing when I left MA. File for renewal when the CMR says you can. Even if the PD you are renewing against doesn't honor it. Then follow the triple or quad notify dance. Don't bother sending notification to your out of state PD.

Reason is optics. I'd you have sent in the proper paperwork, that LTC ends up being in the not-revoked catagory.

A part of me likes having possession of a non revoked (even if expired) LTC-A if I have to travel through MA. In theory, that gives a small amount of legal padding if FOPA is ignored.

I preserved the integrity of that license up until the minute I got a driver's license in a different state and changed my residence. The requisite three (four for me, as I moved once under the license and didn't want to play games) letters were sent as required the next morning.

Are you moving someplace else in Massachusetts? If not, WGAF.
Until the move doesn’t work out then what smart ass.
Ever have something out of your control fail? Your comment clearly says No.

God help anyone who said FU to the rules and HAD TO move back in to this shithole state.
Don’t let your being stupid stuff it up your ass down the road. Sort of like burning an employee bridge.

Don't renew. You could transfer her guns to you assuming 4 or less are in her name. This way if they knock on your door 2 weeks before her move your covered. Once you move just say hey you now own this again. Freedom.

Starve the Beast ! Dont comply.
(I do feel your pain).

OK, good point.
(Just to be perfectly clear, the car-breakdown scenario
is the reason I asked those two questions).

And look, some days I throw around nickles like they're manhole covers.
I'm sure you can find something else to do with the C-note, and her time.

But it's Massprudent; a subtle form of overpriced insurance.

(Hell, I betcha there are people who have gotten AAA right before their
retirement move down South, and I bet for a few of them it paid off in spades).

Reason is optics. I'd you have sent in the proper paperwork, that LTC ends up being in the not-revoked catagory.

A part of me likes having possession of a non revoked (even if expired) LTC-A if I have to travel through MA. In theory, that gives a small amount of legal padding if FOPA is ignored.
Excellent points.

God help anyone who said FU to the rules and HAD TO move back in to this shithole state.
Another great angle.

Until the move doesn’t work out then what smart ass.
Ever have something out of your control fail? Your comment clearly says No.

Don’t let your being stupid stuff it up your ass down the road. Sort of like burning an employee bridge.
Why would you have to move back to massachusetts? There are 49 other states. I guess being narrow minded and afraid doesn't let you see there is freedom in many other states. Pretty sad you'd think of immediately think of moving back to your shithole state if didnt work out someplace else. You may not see it, but there are other places aside from massachusetts to live.

Why would you have to move back to massachusetts? There are 49 other states. I guess being narrow minded and afraid doesn't let you see there is freedom in many other states. Pretty sad you'd think of immediately think of moving back to your shithole state if didnt work out someplace else. You may not see it, but there are other places aside from massachusetts to live.
How do you know anybody’s personal circumstances? Family? Having to take care of a parent?
Life can have a way of throwing a really fast curve ball sometimes. Shooting yourself in the foot over a LTC just ain’t worth it. If 100 bucks is killing you maybe find a less expensive hobby if it does.

I see WAYYYY too many people in this thread assuming that they know what is best for the OP by looking through their own, personal lenses. They want to discount anything that does not fit their personal narrative.

Giving advice to let her LTC expire without any action may or may not be wise. But to insult them in the process is really bad manners. Really bad.

If she were my wife I would encourage, not mandate, that she pursue a renewal and see what happens.

"The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley," Robert Burns

How do you know anybody’s personal circumstances? Family? Having to take care of a parent?
Word; people obsess about perceived recoil,
but never think about how a 1 gram blood clot
can drag an entire household from three time zones away.

Have any of the poor bastards lining up at the soup kitchen
because Biden* canceled the Keystone XL pipeline come from Mass?
Are any of them going to have to come crawling back to their old job here?

I see WAYYYY too many people in this thread assuming that they know what is best for the OP by looking through their own, personal lenses. They want to discount anything that does not fit their personal narrative.

Giving advice to let her LTC expire without any action may or may not be wise. But to insult them in the process is really bad manners. Really bad.

If she were my wife I would encourage, not mandate, that she pursue a renewal and see what happens.

"The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley," Robert Burns

"Mrs Kravitz Nation."

Word; people obsess about perceived recoil,
but never think about how a 1 gram blood clot
can drag an entire household from three time zones away.

Have any of the poor bastards lining up at the soup kitchen
because Biden* canceled the Keystone XL pipeline come from Mass?
Are any of them going to have to come crawling back to their old job here?
My buddy was hauling water in ND for fracking. They promised him huge money and hours so he packed it up and moved.
It ended up being a huge pack of lies and he came home and restarted his own business. He was lucky in that he didn’t sell his house and had his daughter move in.
Don’t ever say never or it won’t happen to me.

A shame; I hope he's better positioned for success than if he just got
nailed by the executive order.
He is a very talented HVAC oil and gas tech. He is about as anal as I am about good looking work and was thrilled with my EMT skills when we were installing my wood boiler in the basement. Said he wished he had me on all his installs.
Was a helicopter mechanic for the Army years back and jammed a few 18 speed transmissions hauling logs out of the woods.

He will be just fine. Thought he could really bank some coins coming up on his retirement years but as noted it just didn't work out.

He is a very talented HVAC oil and gas tech. He is about as anal as I am about good looking work and was thrilled with my EMT skills when we were installing my wood boiler in the basement. Said he wished he had me on all his installs.
Was a helicopter mechanic for the Army years back and jammed a few 18 speed transmissions hauling logs out of the woods.

He will be just fine. Thought he could really bank some coins coming up on his retirement years but as noted it just didn't work out.
If he hits another dip in the road,
encourage him to see if there's a place for him at SpaceX.
(Or some such modern rocket place).

Meticulous worker, works with pipes - those are good.
Aerospace experience: priceless.

I didn't bother to do it when I moved to nh...probably depends if you ever intend to go back... I don't

Life can have a way of throwing a really fast curve ball sometimes. Shooting yourself in the foot over a LTC just ain’t worth it. If 100 bucks is killing you maybe find a less expensive hobby if it does.
Then you make due. Is the renewal that fast that she would have it before she moved? So its good for a week or two. Once you move and get another drivers license your resident permit is invalid anyways. Does everyone move back to mass when life gets tough? You adapt. I moved out of that shithole in the mid 80s. I just moved from NH because its getting to be to much like mass. My wife and I planned for a year. We couldnt be happier. If you want to stay there, good for you.

My wife doesn't even CC, the only reason I got her to get her license is in case I drop one day so that she'll be legally able to take care of the "property" ;)

Don't you have a licence to carry as well? Why can't you do out your remaining time under your licence, why does having hers as well matter?

Don't you have a licence to carry as well? Why can't you do out your remaining time under your licence, why does having hers as well matter?

I do have mine, valid for 3 more years. That's why I questioned if it was necessary to renew hers, but @AHM brought up a plausible scenario where a second license could save the day.

Going to SC and from what I read having a previous CCP outside SC doesn't give you any benefit, you still need to go through the full process in that state.

My wife doesn't even CC, the only reason I got her to get her license is in case I drop one day so that she'll be legally able to take care of the "property" ;)

So I'm in South Carolina right now and my wife and I just completed the CWP course including the live fire. We still need to get fingerprinted at the local PD or Sheriff's office (no DIY) and then send in the applications. If something happens to you here and your wife does not have the CWP she can still take possession of the firearms. You don't need the carry permit to buy (legally of course) or legally possess firearms here -- just an SC driver's license proving residency or if you own another home here a "real property tax form" as proof that you own the property. Like you said, as a dual resident you can also get the CWP (LTC) from SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) with that tax form.

I'd renew the Mass. LTC. Moving down you have to drive through New York at least and maybe NJ, Delaware and Maryland. I know about FOPA but if something happens on the way down maybe (big maybe) your Mass. LTC has a remote chance of helping with a "situation."

I know it's been said before but coming down with any gun stuff do not speed! Do not give the police any reason to stop you (check tail lights, brake lights etc.). Don't speed in Virginia either -- the fines are huge. Once you get to NC and SC you can move along at whatever. :)

Welcome to the great state of South Carolina.

BTW, exceptions to the live fire test are disabled veteran, retired/former military, active military, retired law enforcement and active law enforcement.
I don't know how you could possibly flunk the live fire. My wife scored 49/50 hits and she's not what I'd call an experienced shooter. It should take you 5 minutes.

I am not a lawyer. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom