• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC App - Legal Review of Letter

MAJoe

NES Member
Hi All,

Looking to apply for an LTC in Somerville which requires a letter to the licensing authority discussing reasons for requesting the license. I have a letter drafted which I had a friend and LTC-A holder review, but also wanted to gauge thoughts on having a quick legal review. I'm not explaining any arrests (clean record) or other improprieties, but want to ensure I get this right the first time and don't say anything that inadvertently hurts my application for an unrestricted LTC.

Are there Pro-2A attorneys here who are willing to help or am I completely overthinking this?

From Somerville PD's website:
LETTER to LICENSING AUTHORITY: If you are applying for an LTC you must submit a letter addressed to Captain Michael Cabral specifying the reasons that you are requesting a license. NOTE: If you are applying for the purpose of employment, you will also be required to submit a letter from your employer supporting your claim.

http://somervillepd.com/index.php/services/firearms-licensing

Thanks and glad to be part of NES,

- Joe

Dear Caberal, I mean your highness,

I love woman, beer and guns. Please help out a brother. Issue me my LTC.

I have extensive training in firearms . I literally took three safety courses. I read the Mass laws every night before bed. I already know what will be my first purchase.

If if you issue my LTC. I promise to provide you and your station with a months worth of Dunkin.

Sincerally

Law abiding citizen

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Caberal, I mean your highness,

I love woman, beer and guns. Please help out a brother. Issue me my LTC.

I have extensive training in firearms . I literally took three safety courses. I read the Mass laws every night before bed. I already know what will be my first purchase.

If if you issue my LTC. I promise to provide you and your station with a months worth of Dunkin.

Sincerally

Law abiding citizen

Good luck. I feel for you guys that need a reason to get your LTC

Here is your letter....

Dear Grand-Wizard of Somerville,

I humbly request the ability to exercise what most consider a basic right. My qualifications include frequent handwashing, strong libido, and unparalleled abilities in a game of twister. I pledge my allegiance to the Thundercats and will continue to say no to all the voices.

My love for you has never wavered.

Sincerely,

(insert name here)

Holy shit. I didn't have to write a letter for my unrestricted LTC in Somerville. Does this new rule apply to renewals?

Holy shit. I didn't have to write a letter for my unrestricted LTC in Somerville. Does this new rule apply to renewals?

Did you move in? some of the douche towns don't downgrade move in renewals because they dont want flak from the applicant, someone getting downgraded is not liable to go down without a fight, whereas its easy for them to piss on newbies.

That is new. Never had to do that in the past. You did need to write a reason on the form,but I had always put "Legal self defense and all other lawful purposes."

Nope, I applied for it the first time in Somerville and got it. I just wrote "for all lawful purposes and protection of life" as my reasons on the application. I definitely never addressed the Chief directly. My license is up in 2016...I am hoping I don't lose the 'no restrictions.'

When I first got my unrestricted ltc, town of West Bridgewater wanted two letters of recommendation.

For reason I put "for all lawful purposes"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there Pro-2A attorneys here who are willing to help or am I completely overthinking this?

If you are willing to pay for attorney time, I suggest you contact the office of Keither Langer or Jason Guida (based on your location in eastern MA). A legal review of a document should not cost all that much.

Spending money to have an attorney review a letter that cannot be used to deny you a license is an utter waste of time, but if it makes you feel good, have at it. Somerville PD has no statutory authority to require you to right a letter. They can only deny you a license if they want try and convince a judge that your failure to provide a letter "specifying the reasons that you are requesting a license", constitutes "behavior that suggests that, if issued a license, the applicant or licensee may create a risk to public safety".

You ARE NOT going to be denied a license because your letter wasn't good enough, your grammar stinks, you can't spell or because you failed to adequately explain your 'need' to exercise an enumerated right. If you don't want to get into a pissing contest with SPD over the letter, give them a one sentence letter explaining that the license is required in order to purchase or possess firearms. If they deny you a license (and they won't) PM me.

ETA: The ONLY reason SPD and other departments have polices like this is because applicant continue to be okay with it.

Back
Top Bottom