• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lott: The Second Amendment Stories the National Media Fail to Report

Acujeff

NES Member
Did you hear about this case? A man went into a dentist’s office, killed a woman, and took aim at others before being wounded by a concealed handgun permit holder. “He raised a gun to shoot me,” said dental hygienist Sabrina Steal.

Even the killer called the permit holder a “hero.” “You all wouldn’t be dealing with me right now if the hero hadn’t stepped in,” he told police after the attack. Sullivan County Sheriff Jeff Cassidy used the same word, perhaps with greater sincerity: “He was a concealed carry permit holder and I’m going to call him a hero today.”

But unless you live in the very Eastern tip of Tennessee, there is no way that you would have heard this story from February. If the permit holder hadn’t been there and many people had been shot, the story would have surely made national headlines.

We almost missed some of the more important details about this case ourselves. The Crime Prevention Research Center, where I am the president, searches for these cases, but once you find a case many times one must read through all the news stories because only one or two news stories might have crucial facts to understanding what happened. Indeed, our research assistant who found this case missed the news stories that contained details on multiple lives being saved.

More cases and the rest of the column at:
The Second Amendment Stories the National Media Fail to Report...or Get Completely Wrong

“National media outlets such as ABC, CNN, and NBC noted that the alleged gunman told another white man: “Whites don’t kill whites.” It sounded as if the gunman was merely reassuring a bystander. But that bystander was a permit holder who was pointing a gun at the killer. What the killer actually said was: “Don’t shoot me. I won’t shoot you. Whites don’t shoot whites.

Worse than non-reporting, under-reporting and mis-reporting of Defensive Gun Use stories is the malreporting (malicious reporting) that twists DGUs into liberal field Trump/NRA/GOP-Hate stories

I remember seeing this story with the “White don’t shoot whites” quote used to cast the killer as a “White Supremacist” in order to connect him to the supposed “White Nationalism” now said to be boldly promoted in the open by the racist & xenophobic Trump Voters and allegedly fostered by Trump. It was a Good Guy with a Gun story turned into a Trump-Hate story.

The next step is outright fabrication of events that never happened so they cannot be disproved. Expect that before 2020.

Back
Top Bottom