• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Loophole Closing" and EFA10 for Lowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random question here. I've never purchased a lower or built an AR but my understanding is that you have to fill out the federal 4473 when you purchase a lower but you don't have to do the EFA10 until the rifle is assembled and operating. What happens now when someone tries to do an EFA10 for a rifle that they just built from parts and pieces that may or may not have been purchased before 7/20/16? Do they track the purchase date of the lower and use that date? What about 80% lowers? I feel like this whole thing is so confusing that there must be tons of NEW loopholes.

I'd venture a guess that if you "built it" up to yesterday as the date filed on the FA10 you are good, as you have 7 days to file the FA10 after that date that you are SOL and will be considered manufacturing an AW.

Last edited:
so, if someone assembled some rifles yesterday from lowers that were purchased moths ago thru ffl, legally they should be ok to register EFA-10 within 7 days from yesterday????

If you really are interested in complying with this crap, you've got six more days to file the Efa-10s on those rifles you put together YESTERDAY.

You do remember assembling all those rifles yesterday, don't you? So go ahead and file the form within the 7 days the law gives you.

Done.

If you really are interested in complying with this crap, you've got six more days to file the Efa-10s on those rifles you put together YESTERDAY.

You do remember assembling all those rifles yesterday, don't you? So go ahead and file the form within the 7 days the law gives you.

Done.

Thats how I am interpreting this too. I have heard stories from friends in CT that are afraid to take their rifles to the range because they are unsure about the legality of them since their rapid law changes. Some were deployed and had no opportunity to "register" standard cap magazines and rifles.

So when you go online and fill out that efa10, is it under the Registration heading?

Does anyone know if First Defense Firearms does the 'registration' (eFA-10) when you buy a stripped lower?

I bought one two weeks ago, and so far it only has a trigger group in it. I don't have any of the other parts.

Are you saying we should eFA-10 them now, regardless?

I'd call FDF but I imagine they'll be busy AF tonight.

Does anyone know if First Defense Firearms does the 'registration' (eFA-10) when you buy a stripped lower?

I bought one two weeks ago, and so far it only has a trigger group in it. I don't have any of the other parts.

Are you saying we should eFA-10 them now, regardless?

I'd call FDF but I imagine they'll be busy AF tonight.
I don't think it matters if the lower has one part or if it's a complete lower with a stock. It's still a lower. I'd like to know myself if we need to efa-10 them now as well.

One thing is for certain. This efa-10 has become a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you do, they know where to find it. If you don't, well.........

so, if someone assembled some rifles yesterday from lowers that were purchased moths ago thru ffl, legally they should be ok to register EFA-10 within 7 days from yesterday????

Option 1: You don't file an eFA-10 for your semiauto rifle => you're committing a felony.

Option 2: You do file an eFA-10 for your semiauto rifle => you're committing a felony.

Option 1 is less hassle.

- - - Updated - - -

Done.

Why bother? Either way you're in felony possession an assault rifle.

Option 1: You don't file an eFA-10 for your semiauto rifle => you're committing a felony.

Option 2: You do file an eFA-10 for your semiauto rifle => you're committing a felony.

Option 1 is less hassle.

- - - Updated - - -

Why bother? Either way you're in felony possession an assault rifle.
Didn't they say you can keep the stuff you bought before today?

So when you file your fa10 for your receiver, if you do not have the parts you are going to use, are you then going to lie about the lenght of the barrel? How about people traveling or away from home people. How much warning did you get. how about those partially off the grid without TV, radios. How do you push crap like this without warning and expect not to make fellons of a good part of the gun owning population. There are going to be a lot of "trashed" busted and disposed of rifles when they come knocking at the door.

Good God, guys! This isn't rocket science. The first part of Post 17 should end the thread; I think Varmint's wrong about the second part of Post 17, because as long as it's filed within 6 days the state would have to prove you didn't build it yesterday. But it's early yet and IANAL anyway. So my advice is as good as anyone's; which is to say, who knows?

But Lord almighty! Barrel lengths? If they ever use the efa10 system to come grab your guns, having the right barrel length on there isn't going to save you. Or matter, because at that point dudes will be shooting and John Law will be too busy ducking to go door to door measuring barrels.

Just put 20 inches in there. In the unlikely event it ever matters, you cut it down to 16 inches the day before. WGAF? If you assemble within the next six days, you're already committing a felony; what difference does barrel length make?

And stop clogging these threads with questions. The only right answer is always going to be "Nobody knows yet."

I think there would be some serious issues with not honoring the 7 day window. With all the group buys there has to be hundreds of thousands in parts and builds being worked on.

The barrel length doesn't have a red asterisk indicating a required field so I've always left it blank when registering my AR builds. Four Seasons Firearms does an EFA10 when you buy lowers there. I checked my copy and they list 00.00 for barrel length.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom