• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to start reloading for an AR15 platform need advice

Minimum loads are even less than my 24.6 in some books.

For Varget with a 55 grain bullet? (Not talking about sinterfire bullets or anything weird.)

- - - Updated - - -

BUT lead is toxic so I have to weigh that into consideration.

Only if you breath it, eat it, or otherwise ingest it.

Last edited:
For Varget with a 55 grain bullet? (Not talking about sinterfire bullets or anything weird.)

- - - Updated - - -
Yes for Varget and a 55g bullet

Only if you breath it, eat it, or otherwise ingest it.

When you cast lead these are all factors right?

I'm still crying that you're using Varget for 55gr as a beginner. [crying][laugh]

Is there a beginners powder? Other than varget being non existant for the most part. Heck I have not seen much of any powder especially hodgdon powders other than some 1#s of powder I don't use.

Just on Varget still being fairly rare 12mo into this drought. There's no beginners powder. I'm just whining because my stash is getting low [wink]

In NH you have a powder shortage? "Live Free or Die" state! I think you may have to just drive about 50 miles like I do to get supplies. Its out there.
Ok Kevin where can I get several 8lb jugs of varget? Xtry51 I know what your saying. I have turned to shooting mostly cast boolits in my 03a3 and mosin with trailboss to conserve powder and fmj bullets. Heck at this rate I'm considering buying one of those bolt handle ar uppers and going single shot with cast boolits.

Ok Kevin where can I get several 8lb jugs of varget? Xtry51 I know what your saying. I have turned to shooting mostly cast boolits in my 03a3 and mosin with trailboss to conserve powder and fmj bullets. Heck at this rate I'm considering buying one of those bolt handle ar uppers and going single shot with cast boolits.

Exactly. A pound of Varget doesn't go far in .308. I'd love to see 8lb jugs again.

8lb 844 and 846 would be nice too.

Exactly. A pound of Varget doesn't go far in .308. I'd love to see 8lb jugs again.

8lb 844 and 846 would be nice too.
Sadly I don't think we will see 844 or 846 anytime soon at prices we have been used to. Heck I'm actually scared at how nuch 8lbs of varget will be when it hit our shores in 2014!

Partial Rage Results from my 16" AR15 using 55 grain FMJBT:

The high level results from today are that all my reloads chambered OK, cycled OK, and went bang.

What I actually learned was that the IMR4198 when loaded on the low side 18.4 - 18.8 grains just barley had enough pressure to cycle my gun. So these two loads are out. But 19.1 grains did really nice my best group of the day (but I am rusty been a while since I last shot)

All the Varget loads from low to mid point seemed to cycle OK and 25.6 gains gave good results.

I mentioned this was a partial results because I ran out of range time and did not get to the two higher end loads that I had remaining to test. But these two powders defiantly feel different in the way they kick and cycle the bolt, I also shot a few factory rounds and they seem to be loaded on the higher end side due to the grater recoil I felt.

Last edited:
If your factory loads are loaded to 5.56 Nato specs then yes they will be hot vs your loads.
Here's what I found for federal lake city you might loose a couple hundred fps out of the 16" barrel....
Specifications:

Case: Brass (Copper Alloy No. 260) Primer: M41 Operating Range: (-40 degrees to +125 degrees F) Primer Sealant: Water resistant lacquer Case Mouth Sealant: Yes Headstamp: Each loaded cartridge shall be headstamped with the manufacturer's symbol and year of manufacture Instrumental Velocity: 3165 +/- 40 FPS (78 feet from muzzle) using a 5.56 test barrel, 20" long Energy: 1223 Ft-Lbs. at 78’ Bullet Pull: Minimum individual 35 lbs. Warning: For use in standard 5.56 mm chambers. Do not use in non-standard 5.56 chambers.

Now if your shooting m855 it can be a bit more stout being 62 grains.

Now you need to post pics of the groups.

If your factory loads are loaded to 5.56 Nato specs then yes they will be hot vs your loads.
Here's what I found for federal lake city you might loose a couple hundred fps out of the 16" barrel....
Specifications:

Case: Brass (Copper Alloy No. 260) Primer: M41 Operating Range: (-40 degrees to +125 degrees F) Primer Sealant: Water resistant lacquer Case Mouth Sealant: Yes Headstamp: Each loaded cartridge shall be headstamped with the manufacturer's symbol and year of manufacture Instrumental Velocity: 3165 +/- 40 FPS (78 feet from muzzle) using a 5.56 test barrel, 20" long Energy: 1223 Ft-Lbs. at 78’ Bullet Pull: Minimum individual 35 lbs. Warning: For use in standard 5.56 mm chambers. Do not use in non-standard 5.56 chambers.

Now if your shooting m855 it can be a bit more stout being 62 grains.

Now you need to post pics of the groups.

Have you ever done reloads then applied Sealant? I read dykem can be used, any thoughts about this?

for my bolt action.... 24.1 Varget with 55gr Z-Max gave me the tightest groups... i haven't messed with bullet seating and all that craziness from the advanced metallic cartridge class...

for plinking ammo for my 16" AR upper, 23.8gr varget cycles no problemo....
21.6gr of WC844 also.... cycles perfectly, velocity is fine :) 55gr Z-Max and 55gr XM193 pulls...

used 23.8gr varget with 60gr v-max (brought those to the pumpkin shoot...)

for my bolt action.... 24.1 Varget with 55gr Z-Max gave me the tightest groups... i haven't messed with bullet seating and all that craziness from the advanced metallic cartridge class...

for plinking ammo for my 16" AR upper, 23.8gr varget cycles no problemo....
21.6gr of WC844 also.... cycles perfectly, velocity is fine :) 55gr Z-Max and 55gr XM193 pulls...

used 23.8gr varget with 60gr v-max (brought those to the pumpkin shoot...)

I think my next rifle may be a bolt gun, I do not have one! I think its like owning a revolver its just less that can go wrong in my mind though in a rifle its also an accuracy factor for long range but as far as reliability a bolt seems like a plus.

Buy real ammo cans. Metal ones, not Cabela's plastic garbage. Throw a desiccant pack in for good measure.

If you want to be super sure, heat the ammo and can with a hair dryer, close the lid while warm. When can cools it will create suction, like canning foods. It should "pop" when you re-open it.

I don't use the paint on seal on any of me ammo, even the SHTF stuff. If you buy .mil spec m855 it will come sealed though.

Buy real ammo cans. Metal ones, not Cabela's plastic garbage. Throw a desiccant pack in for good measure.

If you want to be super sure, heat the ammo and can with a hair dryer, close the lid while warm. When can cools it will create suction, like canning foods. It should "pop" when you re-open it.

I don't use the paint on seal on any of me ammo, even the SHTF stuff. If you buy .mil spec m855 it will come sealed though.

Ha ha! that's a great idea! Wait, you have SHTF ammo??

I'm still crying that you're using Varget for 55gr as a beginner. [crying][laugh]

why? i grabbed the hornady manual when i first started... they claimed Varget and one other powder were the two most accurate for that cartridge in their testing, and IIRC Varget covered a few calibers i was looking to reload for so it was the obvious choice to get :)

Last edited:
why? i grabbed the hornady manual when i first started... they claimed Varget and one other powder were the two most accurate for that cartridge in their testing, and IIRC Varget covered a few calibers i was looking to reload for so it was the obvious choice to get :)

Just because I'm trying to hoard it all for my .308 reloading along with RE15 [laugh]

So if I reload for SHTF then do I need to use sealant?

No. Just get the real ammo cans and use the hair dryer trick.

SHTF/TinFoil Bonus info: if you throw your cell phone into a military ammo can it will block your phones cell and GPS signal along with remote turn on functionality.

Back
Top Bottom