• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to start reloading for an AR15 platform need advice

No. Just get the real ammo cans and use the hair dryer trick.

SHTF/TinFoil Bonus info: if you throw your cell phone into a military ammo can it will block your phones cell and GPS signal along with remote turn on functionality.

and drain the battery quicker as the phone will continue to search for service by actively pinging..... power down or pull the battery before locking it in the ammo can....

Just because I'm trying to hoard it all for my .308 reloading along with RE15 [laugh]

I kinda like the Hodgdon Extreme powder line based on the stable temperature range too. But I will be testing that out this winter though in my area not sure how many -10f conditions I will face. So now I would like to test the IMR4198 at this temperature range.

and drain the battery quicker as the phone will continue to search for service by actively pinging..... power down or pull the battery before locking it in the ammo can....

Some phone don't have removeable batteries. Most of these phones can be remotely turned on or set to record and transmit picture/sound/video by your provider without you knowing. So just turning it off does nothing other than conserve battery.

Don't want to sidetrack the thread, just pointing it out.

ETA: I think I misread your response earlier and am being redundant.

SHTF/TinFoil Bonus info: if you throw your cell phone into a military ammo can it will block your phones cell and GPS signal along with remote turn on functionality.

I agree with that in a storage situation but if the SHTF then the ammo goes from storage to field use, so then how is a round protected from the elements outside the storage can?

Ammo really has to be soaked for a while to become effected. I'm just not getting that deep in my process. If it's a worry for you should the S actually H The F, order a bottle of sealant and stash it in the ammo can.

Sealing ammo is a tedious process when done by hand.

Testing this next time I get up for another beer.

Kevin don't worry about loading shtf ammo.....as your trying to load enough ammo to matter the threat will have come and gone....

I agree with that in a storage situation but if the SHTF then the ammo goes from storage to field use, so then how is a round protected from the elements outside the storage can?

I've accidentally run unsealed reloads through the wash and they still fired. You don't need to seal it.

Lots of flex and no positive cam over. I second splurging on a Rockchucker. You'll be very happy and resizing will be effortless.

If you want an in between, get the Lee 4 position Turret. I love mine.

About this turret, do you index it by hand? I saw a video that said there is a cheap plastic part that strips out easy, so I was just wondering. Sounds like you are happy though.

I've got that 4 port Lee turret and you don't have to index it by hand, there's a steel rod going down the center that rotates it when you lower and raise the handle completely. It's a nice step up from a single stage. I do 200 rounds of .40 per hour on mine.

About this turret, do you index it by hand? I saw a video that said there is a cheap plastic part that strips out easy, so I was just wondering. Sounds like you are happy though.

I'm still on my original plastic bushing. About 5-6k rounds I believe. I use it for loading plinking ammo and actually have it setup with two powder feeds and two bullet seaters. I prep brass separately and don't crimp my bulk load ammo. It rotates to the next position on the top of the upstroke. If you short stroke it, it can be used as a single stage (or just pull out the rod and plastic bushing).

The only way I can see to kill the bushing is to use it till it wears out or maybe half cycle the turret? I bought a couple extras because people complained about it.

I just don't reload enough in one sitting to justify a progressive yet. I will buy one eventually, but I'm not there yet. IMO the Giraud and RCBS Chargemaster are far better initial investments than a nice progressive. There's no way I would want to be hand trimming brass to feed a 650.

Last edited:
I kinda like this Lee Classic Turret press and the price is nice too........maybe I will buy one down the road a bit.

Back
Top Bottom