Looking fora box of Aguila Colibri

Reading this on my phone, lost track of who has/needs what. I live in Chelmsford, work in both Marlboro (near Worcester) and Manchester. I have a brick of quiets, a few boxes of colibri, willing to share with whoever needs. Drop me a pm and tell me what you want and where and we'll make it work.

Reading this on my phone, lost track of who has/needs what. I live in Chelmsford, work in both Marlboro (near Worcester) and Manchester. I have a brick of quiets, a few boxes of colibri, willing to share with whoever needs. Drop me a pm and tell me what you want and where and we'll make it work.

Thanks. turns out I had some quiets and they are close to silent out of my bolt 22

I have shot a variety of CCI quiets, CB longs, and colibri rounds from both rifles and pistols. One thing I want to mention is that these rounds ricochet more easily than any other rounds I have seen. I am always extremely careful about my backstop with any of these low power rounds. As a general rule, .22 rimfire rounds are the most ricochet prone type of ammunition. But the very low power rounds seem to ricochet even more than normal .22s. I have also read about low power rounds having bounce back ricochets where they come back in the general direction of the user. Again, I make sure these rounds hit a backstop that they will stick into.

I have also done some penetration testing with CCI quiet rounds. The CCI quiets use a 40gr bullet at a little over 700fps, and I believe they are the strongest of these reduced power rounds. I have found that they consistently go through a soft pine 2x4, and they often go through slightly tougher 2x4s which I think are spruce. This penetration would be more than enough for pest control, but it also means these are serious rounds.

For accuracy, I have gotten nickel sized groups at 25 yards with CCI quiets, but to hit real small things I have to set the elevation of my scope specifically for these rounds.

Last edited:
I have found the opposite on penetration. I shot some 40gr CCI Quiets at a 2x4 at 15 yards out of a Mossberg LSB and got half penetration. There was also very little deformation of the bullet.

IMG_4344_zps9goepwqd.jpg

IMG_4345_zpstgznoury.jpg

I once heard a neighbor shooting in the back yard. I was a little surprised, but not at all bothered by it. Further investigation showed his brother-in-law was playing with a bullwhip in the back yard.

Dhuze, I found that the CCI quiets penetrated soft pine 2x4s. The penetration you showed looks like what I would expect for a somewhat harder 2x4. It might get even less penetration on pressure treated wood. I also found that colibri bullets from a pistol would stick into soft pine but would bounce off pressure treated wood, so the consistency of the material can make a significant difference.

I've got a 50 round box of Aguila Super Colibri I can give you, I bought about 5 bricks of the stuff about 5-6 years ago. I find them to be much quieter in a bolt action than the CCI Quiets. A Super Colibri round hitting a piece of plywood at 30 yards makes a lot more noise than the discharge through a rifle. I've seen them work on skunks, crows, and squirrels no problem as long as you hit them in brain bucket. They are acceptably accurate to about 25-30 yards before they start to drop considerably.

I haven't seen the Super Colibri's sold in almost a year or so, just the Colibri in the new Aguila packaging. I'll be at the Pumpkin Shoot as well, offer will still stand!

I've got a 50 round box of Aguila Super Colibri I can give you, I bought about 5 bricks of the stuff about 5-6 years ago. I find them to be much quieter in a bolt action than the CCI Quiets. A Super Colibri round hitting a piece of plywood at 30 yards makes a lot more noise than the discharge through a rifle. I've seen them work on skunks, crows, and squirrels no problem as long as you hit them in brain bucket. They are acceptably accurate to about 25-30 yards before they start to drop considerably.

I haven't seen the Super Colibri's sold in almost a year or so, just the Colibri in the new Aguila packaging. I'll be at the Pumpkin Shoot as well, offer will still stand!

I appreciate it but i think I am all set with the CCi quiets. They are close to silent with my 513t. i just need to get it dialed in and I should be good to go. the tiny peep sites and my old eyes are not a good combo

Love that movie

- - - Updated - - -

Walmart actually has some of them on the shelf. I will pick up a box later. Kinda pricy $10 for 50 but if they do the job they are worth it.

Yeah, except Brigitte Neilson turned out to be the crazy one. LOL

As far as Colibri's, they stink. I think throwing a grain of sand at an animal would do more damage.

i have a box of fifty (less 5 i tried out) super colibri, 20 grain. i found them to be as loud as starter pistol blanks, so probably not what you're looking for.

upon further review of this thread, i was shooting the supers from a pistol, not a rifle. that may explain why i found them to be so loud

good to hear you've found your solution chet

i dig the CCI quiets because they can be manually cycled through rifle that requires the length of 22LR, such as a ruger 10/22 or marlin 60. however the CCI shorts rated at 710 ft/s provide similar ballistics as the CCI quiets but are much shorter. the henry lever gun holds something stupid like 22 of them. no hearing protection required. it's a real hoot at the range. 100 yards gotta hold ~18 inches high but still makes a good schwak on the steel.

right now CCI is doing a run on quiets and shorts so if in the market now is the time to buy them. they seem to do a run of them like twice a year.

upon further review of this thread, i was shooting the supers from a pistol, not a rifle. that may explain why i found them to be so loud

good to hear you've found your solution chet
I will tell you at the range I tried the quiets through one of my 22 pistols and they were not that quiet, i was amaze at how quiet they are through the rifle.

Just tested CCI quiets and CB shorts in my 10/22. Anyone know if any LGS sells colibri in the metrowest area?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom