• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for recommendations on new CCW handgun

Here is what I am looking for, but I don't know if it's made... I exclusively carry IWB, so barrel length to me is not the key delimiter of concealability. For that, it is overall width and grip length. I love the grip and width of the M&P Shield which is what I carry now. What I would like is a 5" slide on it. This would improve accuracy and potentially add room for a light if I could find one narrow enough for my tastes. One more thing, and it makes me different than most. I dislike the ergos on glocks, and significantly prefer the S&W or 1911 from that perspective. So no g19 as a suggestion, which I know many are happy with.

So, any recommendations that satisfy conceal desires and longer slide?

Why not just go with a 1911 then? They tend to be thin and can be had in pretty much any variation of slide length and grip length.

Here is what I am looking for, but I don't know if it's made... I exclusively carry IWB, so barrel length to me is not the key delimiter of concealability. For that, it is overall width and grip length. I love the grip and width of the M&P Shield which is what I carry now. What I would like is a 5" slide on it. This would improve accuracy and potentially add room for a light if I could find one narrow enough for my tastes. One more thing, and it makes me different than most. I dislike the ergos on glocks, and significantly prefer the S&W or 1911 from that perspective. So no g19 as a suggestion, which I know many are happy with.

So, any recommendations that satisfy conceal desires and longer slide?
Looks like you answered your own question as you didn't say you prefer it to be DA or striker fire. Penty of folks out there that edc a 1911.

The VP9 is about the size of the Glock 19. I love the customizable grip and trigger on the thing. If you are not in MA the Walther PPQ is very close alternative and for a lower price point too.

S&W SD9 VE is pretty accurate and LOW $ compared to the S&W M&P line. I like the stock trigger better on the SD9 as well. They make the SD in 40 cal, too, if you like that caliber. FYI - it is same size as the Glock 19, LOL.

its not a 5" barrel, it's 4", but you could get a Kahr TP9 and cut the grip to fit the shorter P9 mags. Still signle stack like the M&P Shield and the trigger pull is still pretty short although not as short as the M&Ps.
I too wish the manufacturers would make longer slide models of their smaller guns. I'd love my Glock 26 to have a 19 slide, and my Glock 19 to have a 17 slide.
Can't get them in MA but I was glad to see XDs come out with the 4" barrel models.

I love my Kahr P9.

But its not a 5" barrel. Its nice and slim though.

Are you open to a double stack gun?

How much experience have you got carrying?
(If anyone uses the term CCWing I'm going to reach through your screen and choke you)

The XDS 9 4" is a really interesting gun. At 4", I would get the barrel length I desire, and it does seem narrow. I think the balance should definitely be looked at. If it is bad, maybe that means my Shield is the right answer.... I see a trip to NH to handle it, then decide if it's worth trying to acquire one here in the nanny state.

The XDS 9 4" is a really interesting gun. At 4", I would get the barrel length I desire, and it does seem narrow. I think the balance should definitely be looked at. If it is bad, maybe that means my Shield is the right answer.... I see a trip to NH to handle it, then decide if it's worth trying to acquire one here in the nanny state.
If your considering double stacks also check out the M&P 45C it also has a 4" barrel

Your looking for something not in production. Either live with it or spend serious money getting a smith to chop something to your specs.

If you like the M&P shield why not look into a walther PPS? I just picked one up and the craftsmanship on it looks great. Cant wait to shoot it. Got mine in the .40 cal.

If you like the M&P shield why not look into a walther PPS? I just picked one up and the craftsmanship on it looks great. Cant wait to shoot it. Got mine in the .40 cal.

PPS is my favorite single stack 9...the machining quality is awesome....up there w a kahr K9 IMO
I personally love the paddle mag release system but can understand it isnt for everyone.

Ive never used the paddle mag release but after practicing with it today I feel I am faster than with a thumb release.

with paddle release, i typically use my R middle finger to depress the paddle on the R side of the gun. i am a huge fan of the paddle release for many reasons
1. i do not have to shift my grip
2. less chance of being accidentally activated while holstered
3. 100% ambidextrous
4. i feel european and sophisticated
5. fun to watch my friends struggle with my gun at the range hahaha

i often see people stretching their thumb and completely shifting their grip to reach the paddle via thumb but i'm not convinced this was how they intended most paddle system to be used.

with paddle release, i typically use my R middle finger to depress the paddle on the R side of the gun. i am a huge fan of the paddle release for many reasons
1. i do not have to shift my grip
2. less chance of being accidentally activated while holstered
3. 100% ambidextrous
4. i feel european and sophisticated
5. fun to watch my friends struggle with my gun at the range hahaha

i often see people stretching their thumb and completely shifting their grip to reach the paddle via thumb but i'm not convinced this was how they intended most paddle system to be used.

I've been curious about the Walthers. They seem to be on a roll lately.

#2 is big for lefties since the mag release is normally sticking out just waiting to be pressed.

I've been curious about the Walthers. They seem to be on a roll lately.

#2 is big for lefties since the mag release is normally sticking out just waiting to be pressed.

If i coudl only keep 2 9mm's it would be the PPS and PPQ M1....both are paddle release. Flat out awesome. For whatever reason americans are all about the push button which is fine but i am more of a paddle guy. Plus it just makes natural sense that down on the paddle kicks the mag downward...its intuitive

I've had a curiosity about the PPQ M2 with the 5" slide.
I've also been curious about the PPS.

Funny.

I carry and shoot their direct competitors.

My single stack is a Kahr P9, and my shooter is a Glock Gen4 G34.

If you've shot either of those how would you compare them to the PPS and PPQ?
I'm one of those people who actually likes the Glock Grip. Especially the Gen4 with a Medium beavertail backstrap.

If i coudl only keep 2 9mm's it would be the PPS and PPQ M1....both are paddle release. Flat out awesome. For whatever reason americans are all about the push button which is fine but i am more of a paddle guy. Plus it just makes natural sense that down on the paddle kicks the mag downward...its intuitive

The Mass PPS has a 17 lb trigger or something no? Did you get a free-state version or do a trigger job or something?

I think the PPS is ugly, that's the major issue, and not solveable like a trigger. :) PPQ is awesome though.

Back
Top Bottom