Looking for my very 1st gun. Any suggestions?

I guess at the end of the day if it works for you and you put your rounds on target, you win. Like I said respectfully disagree

I agree with the laser thing and never use it during practice but will take whatever edge i can get if it comes time to have to use my firearm. I do like the light though. When that thing hits you in the face you can't see squat.

I'd have a hard time keeping my AR handy and secure with the kids in the house, but like I said, if it works for you that is all that counts.

If you are an unexperienced shooter I recommend the following:

1) Buy a .22 handgun and learn how to shoot well. Once you have mastered the basics, get a full size caliber handgun.

2) Buy a .22 rifle and learn how to shoot well. Once you have mastered the basics, get a full size caliber long gun.

It doesn't seem like concealed carry is really an issue as you are restricted. If you are worried about home defense, get a pump action shotgun. Generally speaking, you will only have to rack it and the bad guy will take off. There is nothing like a shotgun racking in the darkness to induce a bowel movement!

And to tell someone with a gun exactly where you are and that your armed and pose a direct threat to them... and walls aren't bulletproof.

WRT the AR, yes it does work for me, and a pistol may very well work better for you. That said, there are some misconceptions about using a rifle as a HD gun, especially with regard to penetration. I do agree with the light, whether it be separate or attached. I have a 225 lumen light with a strobe on the AR, even on medium brightness it'll blind someone in the dark, on high or strobe it will give you a couple of seconds, and even on strobe if you are behind it you can still see the room clearly.

The best advice remains: Don't be a hero. If you have an advantageous position in your house, keep it and hold it until the cops arrive. Stairs are a good choke point, but you want to find a place that has a good backing (IE you aren't going to be shooting into your wifes/kids/etc room) and that they will become visible before you see them, and preferably where concealment is near by.

Mike

Last edited:
If you are worried about home defense, get a pump action shotgun. Generally speaking, you will only have to rack it and the bad guy will take off. There is nothing like a shotgun racking in the darkness to induce a bowel movement!

Maybe just a recording of a shotgun being racked will work then. Personally I would not count on scaring drugged up losers that know you are home but are coming in anyways.

Although racking a shotgun is a nice way to let the bad guys know right where you are located .....

Before you hurt your head, would you care to elaborate?

I suppose you didn't catch the sarcasm. Honestly, a shotgun is one of the best choices for a HD firearm.

How many women can handle the recoil of a 12gauge shotgun? I know my 5'2" petite wife is scared to shoot mine. On the other hand, she can shoot my AR all day long.

Plus, IME, it's a lot easier to short stroke these things that people seem to want to admit. They are not as super easy to operate under extreme stress as many people believe.

The best advice remains: Don't be a hero. If you have an advantageous position in your house, keep it and hold it until the cops arrive. Stairs are a good choke point, but you want to find a place that has a good backing (IE you aren't going to be shooting into your wifes/kids/etc room) and that they will become visible before you see them, and preferably where concealment is near by.

Mike

That's pretty much the plan. The guest bathroon is at the top of the stairs with a fibergass shower behind a linnen closet. Not exactly kevlar, but an oak door, closet full of towels, sheet rock, fiberglass tub. Shit, now that I think about it, I guess that is pretty good cover! Well it's the best I have got anyway.

That was the original plan, but in light of recent advice, I am going to record the sound of me racking my 870 and loop it through the stereo.[laugh]

The down side is having to clean up the floor.

And you do have to admit that it is a very distinctive sound. Of course, If I heard it I would mag dump in the general direction of the racking shotgun.

Once again the sarcasm was apparently missed. I was joking about the racking of a shotgun making someone run off. Hence the poop joke which followed. I love how you all think it is such a mystery to a criminal as to your location in your house. Unless you sleep in the bathtub, it is pretty obvious where you are. Maybe you guys have some enormous houses!

I believe the OP said he was a 31yo male. Therefore, I would think he could handle the recoil!

I have both a 12ga and a 9mm in the bedroom for HD. My wife would grab the 9mm if she was alone. Otherwise, I will grab the shotgun and she will grab the 9mm. I will go to confront the intruder, while she locks the door and stays in the bedroom.

sig p229 9mm

Finally some Sig love on this forum.

I prefer the 226 as it fits my hand better, but the 229 is also a fine choice.

Manch Firing Line has both I believe in various calibers... (9mm as suggested for good balance of pocket book friendly ammo for target shooting, and Home Defense sufficiency). They also have all the plastic guns too.... if you must try them.

The only gun I've shot to date that I think is its equal is a CZ SP01. Of course, that's in my hands... YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom